Author Topic: My Warcraft 2 Story  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Lerkot

• Peon
    • View Profile
My Warcraft 2 Story
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:19 AM »
My first memory from Warcraft II is from when I was six or seven years old back in 95-96, my uncle was playing it and it was my real first contact with PC gaming. It was exciting as fuck, I was poking my nose and sucking my t-shirt and all kinds of groovy kid behaviour.

In 1999 I got my Internet connection and was looking into Kali since I read about it on Ont_LOKs Warcraft 2-sidao but decided to wait for WC2 Bnet Edition. The day it came, me and a couple of friends picked it up and created a new clan, YDN - You Die Now.

At the time there was a Swedish site called Warcraft SE where tournaments were held and I participated until I got banned because I was like 10 years old and aggressively politically correct spamming the WC SE boards about someone calling someone else a faggot.

Also in 1999 Warcraft 3 was announced and because I thought it would be fun to write at some kind of website, I lied to another Swedish WC site about being the neighbour of a Danish Blizzard employee and that I had inside information about pirates and zombies being new races in WC3.

In 2001, Warcraft SE was replaced with Warcraft Gamingeye and now I was good enough of a writer to join the crew. We had WC2 tournaments almost every week. During 1999-2003 I won exactly zero 1on1 games (I was close one time but the guy disconnected saying his mother had cancer), but I did create the famous b2b-low-Dock rush.

Also in 2001, my first column at WC Gamingeye was about how much I hate everything about the upcoming Warcraft 3 and that they should just revert all changes making it into a Warcraft 2,5 instead. People were raging except for the veteran WC2 players, obviously.

In 2002 I won my first Gamingeye tournament game. I was going to play my neighbour but since we shared IP no-one could host the game. He came over to my house, I picked scissor and he picked påse, then I took rock and the took scissor and it was all good.

In 2002 there was a Warcraft 2 LAN in Stockholm. I got there by train, playing and losing versus Iv@nhoe, Gambler_(DEA), Rat and Ont_LOK.

Around 2003 a lot of people stopped playing WC2 instead trying out WC3 and a year later WoW a.k.a. 3D-MSN Messenger made it even worse. But also at this point people in weird countries (Poland, Russia etc.) started to have a decent Internet connection. I even won a couple of games.

About this time I became basically the last person to host WC2 tournaments in Sweden (and maybe elsewhere since a lot of foreign players joined as well) and it felt like interest was dying and there was no indication of it coming back.

For several years I was collecting WC2-gifs, downloaded whole websites and stuff but when another preservation site came up I quit it, which I regret today. I have not played much since 2005 or 2006 but I still end up at forums like this or Axolotl's just to thrive in nostalgia. Gonna get myself some games on this server as well.

My Warcraft-special-thanks-list:
* Moreaulf for creating Warcraft SE and later Gamingeye.
* Ont_LOK for giving me early information throughout his site about WC2, spiking my interest.
* manzon and Iv@nhoe for creating hundreds of tournaments
* Tabac[Man] for giving me that 2on2 victory in 2000
* The American dude I played on New Years eve 1999-2000. No idea what his nickname was but he was very friendly.
* And of course all of the other old Swede's, Rat, Gambler, Ciatriz, Drunk[Man], Fiskpinnen and all of the ones I at the moment can not remember.

Offline Fredrik Eriksson

• Grunt
  • Grosshandlaren i Enköping
    • View Profile
    • Grosshandlaren
Re: My Warcraft 2 Story
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:22:21 AM »
Hi Lerkot, we are still some swedes playing, even Tabac[Man] when he gets drunk during Friday nights :)

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »
Nice to hear from you Lerkot. I have seen the old tournament pages you guys use to host off of and they looked like a ton of fun. Hope to meet you soon on the server.

http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,786.0.html

I have a couple of your old tournaments listed in my archives and a ton of Iv@nhoe's.

In 2002 there was a Warcraft 2 LAN in Stockholm. I got there by train, playing and losing versus Iv@nhoe, Gambler_(DEA), Rat and Ont_LOK.

Any pictures?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:19:34 PM by XuRnT »

Offline Mesacer

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »
Hi Lerkot!

It's been a long time since I've seen you.

I'm sad that you don't remember me! I remember one time that i borrowed your account and played a ladder game against a classmate of mine who had played a lot of games against you and had won all of them. I crushed him hard and the next day at school i had a bit of fun.

If i remember correctly these people attended the lan at Inferno Online in stockholm.

Myself
Ont_lok
Iv@nhoe
Lerkot
Gambler_(DEA)
Ciatriz_(DEA)
Rat, im guessing Rat also. He was living in Stockholm at least.
Cyoor?

I don't think that there are any pictures from that event, i never seen them at least.

// Mesacer, aka en_apa, Drunk[Woman]

Offline Lerkot

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »
Hi Lerkot!

I'm sad that you don't remember me! I remember one time that i borrowed your account and played a ladder game against a classmate of mine who had played a lot of games against you and had won all of them. I crushed him hard and the next day at school i had a bit of fun.

If i remember correctly these people attended the lan at Inferno Online in stockholm.

Myself
Ont_lok
Iv@nhoe
Lerkot
Gambler_(DEA)
Ciatriz_(DEA)
Cyoor?

I don't think that there are any pictures from that event, i never seen them at least.

Ah yeah, immediatly when I saw the "latest replies" thing I remembered you :) You were kind of on-and-off and pretty low-key though, might be it. Anyway there is a few photos, taken by Gambit or Cia... I'll have a look, I think I have them somewhere on my computer.

Offline Mesacer

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Hi Lerkot!

Myself
Ont_lok
Iv@nhoe
Lerkot
Gambler_(DEA)
Ciatriz_(DEA)
Cyoor?

Ah yeah, immediatly when I saw the "latest replies" thing I remembered you :) You were kind of on-and-off and pretty low-key though, might be it. Anyway there is a few photos, taken by Gambit or Cia... I'll have a look, I think I have them somewhere on my computer.

That did hurt! :P

I did play quite a lot during the years 98-02, i think i had around 6k games on each account. But mostly team games tho. I do think I was successful in that. Remember the first time me and Ke won over TompaD and Hads on NWTR, TompaD was a legend on NWTR from the Kali days if i remember correctly.

I lost all my screenshots from this time, do you have any left from the Swedish scene?

Offline Mesacer

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:39:17 AM »
Also im trying to remember all the players which played during this time in Sweden.

Man-clan, based in Kramfors, sweden
Tabac[Man]
Drunk[Man], the_avatar
Mongo[Man]
P3[Man]
Beer or Bear[Man], not sure

DSC, Death skull clan
Goblin
Snottling
kpt.zoom

DEA, Based in Uppsala
Gambler
Ciatriz

Da Ripperz
Rat
Genocider, rest in peace :(
Arise(?)

Cant remember this clan-name
TompaD,
Hads, Tashin

Barba-clan
manzon
I remember in the early days of bnet manzon played with his brother, cant remember his name tho :(

The Dark Alliance [TDA]
Acidrat
Ont_lok
Cyoor(?)
my first clan when i was beginning to play at bnet

Yesterday
[y^]Mesacer
[y^]Ke
[y^]Smile
[y^]Cykel, Cykelpump

These guys had a clan something with "Elements"
Atlas
Moreaulf

UM, Uppsala Mutilators. Friends of the DEA clan. From Uppsala also
RedHead
Tiger-Tim

Other
Iv@nhoe, the legend. Had one of the greatest Warcraft 2 pages during this time :)
Lerkot
Fiskpinne
Gleip

[24-7]Jenn - She was a friend of the [Man] people played alot of Starcraft in a clan named {69}

Maybe you can fill in some of the people i missed!

Offline Lerkot

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
I think you mentioned just about everyone. I cant think of anyone else. Gleipnner? Lol.

What happened to genocider?

Also maybe not in front of everyone or everything but if you know any of the real names of these guys etc it would be nice if you could PM it for me. Ive since long decided that when I turn 30 Im gonna try to meet and interview everyone I ever communicated with :)

Also, it's really hard to find old information on the web. I would never have imagined this being the case just a few years ago. Turns out this "everything you put on the web stays on the web" is kind of a myth.

Btw I think tompaD is the brother of manzon? Or do I remember it wrong?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:32:41 PM by Lerkot »

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »
Poor Iv@nhoe , legendary name but couldn't get whispers on our server.

Offline Paper_Boy

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 11:24:34 PM »
Sug min kuk!! You left out Slayer~
Genocide really died? What happened?
This game was fun over the years but i was probably a tad too competitive sometimes, I could
have been nicer to him at times.

Offline Mesacer

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »
@Paper_Boy I'm not sure if you mix up Genocide with ~Genocider~ who were Rat's team mate for a long time. He took his life around 2002 i think.

@Lerkot TompaD was not manzons brother, I just remember manzons brothers nickname, it was theguru. Also i have good news, Iv@nhoe still has all the files for his website!
Do you have any screenshots from these days?

Two more players:
Dentarg
"Geggan", cant remember his real nick it was something like geggeldon or something like this. He was a real good Human player.

Offline Lerkot

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »

@Lerkot TompaD was not manzons brother, I just remember manzons brothers nickname, it was theguru. Also i have good news, Iv@nhoe still has all the files for his website!
Do you have any screenshots from these days?

He needs to put that website back online somewhere. It would definitely be more interesting to see it now than it was back in the days when you were sort of used to how things work.

I probably dont have anything on my computer (Ive had three computers 1999-2002, 2002-2010 and now 2010-202x so all the goodies are probably lost) except maybe from the LAN in Stockholm. I will have a look though.