War2.ru Slogan
News: New responsive forum theme available!
Click here to switch! More info here!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to the forums! We're glad to have you here! :) You can register your account here, then feel free to introduce yourself in the Server.War2.ru board & let us know who you are on the server.

Poll

Do you agree with the current policy?

yes
8 (47.1%)
no
6 (35.3%)
undecided
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted 17

Voting closed: March 14, 2018, 07:17:40 PM

Warcraft 2 Ru's Policy on harassment 1670  87

Peon Posts: 47 Karma: +6/-0 **

Cel

• Peon
    • View Profile

Cel

Re: Warcraft 2 Ru's Policy on harassment
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »
While I wouldn't really object to a kinder, more accepting atmosphere, I'm opposed to increased censorship measures to regulate asshole behavior as a practical matter for three primary reasons:
1. As already mentioned in this thread, I worry about the unintended consequences for otherwise mild players getting baited in to an argument.
2. The status quo has been established for so long--many current players being part of the community for a decade or longer, that I think change would be difficult for some.
3. While I get that slippery slope is a named argument fallacy, I really do appreciate the administrator's position not to take restrictive on players for pretty much anything except for cheating.  Administrators have changed over the years, but that has remained a constant.  This is not a door I'd like to see opened.

As I mentioned, even if you are pushed hard there is a difference between being salty or insulting and promoting racial hate, antisemitic talks, or homophobic violence...
I do not mind censorship for the three last ones honestly.

Also as I mentioned banning people wont solve anything by itself.
The goal here is to improve the atmosphere for new players not punish people I don't care what you have done in the past I just want us as a community to stop pushing new comers away plain and simple.

Now banning seemed like a easy solution but still the best solutions for me are:
- Chat profanity filters enabled by default that you can disable if you are ok with reading disgusting things. (I would definitely enable these when I stream)
- Mute players that do not behave for a duration, a muted player is squelched by default for everyone else players are free to unsquelch him if they want to but by default he speaks to himself. < Now that would be the best sentence because targeted toward what really was not ok.

None of these involve banning people as you might be able to tell.
Now if these cannot be adopted because too complicated we still can try to teach people not to cross lines using slowly increasing ban durations just saying that is still better than no actions at all.

Because yes some people's freedom of speech right now, directly impacts everyone else's fun by pushing people away and polluting our common space.
You want more freedom? Me too!
I am pretty sure new players would like to have the freedom to play the game without being directly attacked or exposed to disgusting and endless monologues.

About things always being that way have a look to the allegory of the cavern that is the only thing I see coming from that argument...
Now if there is a way to improve everyone's fun and freedom at a minimal cost for the most toxic of us by forcing them to behave a little that is definitely a door I'd like to see opened, it is ok to fear progress that should not stop us from seeking it :P
Grunt Posts: 92 Karma: +6/-0 ***

Lone

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2018, 05:25:45 PM »
If you ban trash talking, Swift will stop winning games in chat lobby and get raped 24/7.
"The Architect" Global Moderator Death Knight Posts: 4694 Karma: +181/-110 *****

eyyy im walkin here

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2018, 05:58:45 PM »
We're going to ban performance enhancing drugs (no more niacin)
Berserker Posts: 507 Karma: +13/-3 *****

Antti_Kiviniemi

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »
talking, Swift will stop winning games in chat lobby and get raped 24/7.

its simple. u can ban swift urself lol. never play swift if he trash talks you. say u refuse to play him for 1 week if he trash talks. if he trash talks within this 1 week period. u double the ban to 2 weeks - so 2 weeks added to the old 1 week. if he trash talks within this period, u double to 1 month. then u just add 1 month every time he trash talks.
Ogre Mage Posts: 2465 Karma: +47/-7 ********

tk[as]

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »
How does swift get to trash talk you lone? You dominate him on fastest.
Sappers Posts: 783 Karma: +34/-3 ******

Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »
If you ban trash talking, Swift will stop winning games in chat lobby and get raped 24/7.

Lol. I’ll still beat ya!
Grunt Posts: 98 Karma: +3/-0 we r a dying breed...tolerate 1 another... ***

woot.

• Grunt
  • we r a dying breed...tolerate 1 another...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2018, 04:59:18 PM »
Antti_Kiviniemi  ;D 
Berserker Posts: 672 Karma: +48/-2 *****

BabyShark

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2018, 10:25:30 PM »
LeeRoyJenkins has continued to repeatedly spam me with unwanted private messages every time I log on.

I do not talk to this person, I do not game with this person, I do not engage him in any way, ever.

Yet he continues to ruin my gaming experience with endless spamming.

I will explain why /dnd and /ignore LeeRoyJenkins are not enough.

Using the /dnd feature works only until I reconnect, and it also deprives me of a component of the gaming experience that should be fully functioning, that is, I should be able to whisper and receive whispers from friends that I want to hear from, who are also blocked by /dnd.

Typing /ignore LeeRoyJenkins during a game when my screen is spammed up with his nonsense takes only seconds, yes, but seconds count and that little interruption to what is going on in the game can easily ruin the game, especially in situations like getting the first hit with peon, cancelling building, UC early game etc., where you can't afford to miss a second.

This is getting ridiculous. This guy is some kind of obsessive creep and my having to be subject to this kind of harassment every time I log on is retarded.

I haven't been taking SS's every day when he msges me, since there are already 500 SS's of him harassing various people.

I took one pic tonight, but there are many, many, many, especially during games I didn't take since there's no shortage of evidence that this guy is a problem.

I'll clarify that this isn't about *WHAT* the person is saying, nor am I suggesting that people should be babysat so no one is allowed to be "mean". This is about an ongoing, routine spamming up of the screen during games that ruins the games. The pictures tend to be of chat channel since that's when I'm not concentrating on something else, but it shows that the guy has a serious issue with repetitive unwanted one-way messaging. This is similar to the problem that was had before with the "XXXX has added you to friend list" spamming that was happening until it was removed because it was interfering with game play.

Administrator Ogre Mage Posts: 1778 Karma: +96/-109 *****

mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
i warned him again today but he seems pretty hostile & unreceptive to the suggestion that he stop doing what he's doing. i agree that you shouldn't have to deal with someone spamming you crap while you're trying to play for weeks on end. i can't really ban him indefinitely, but if he's going to insist on being a horse's ass then i can kick him off the server and give a 30min tempban to disrupt his playing like he's disrupting yours. 
Death Knight Posts: 2634 Karma: +54/-2 retired, be in music section *********

easycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2018, 10:45:49 PM »
Berserker Posts: 748 Karma: +54/-0 *****

Lambchops

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2018, 10:10:21 AM »
oh and another great byproduct of identifying and hooking the messaging procs for the hosting issue is that we would be able to fix the /squelch command at the same time, so it doesn't expire at the end of every game :)

It could even be done with a squelch.txt file in the wc2 folder with a permenant list of names, although I'm not sure if that would be the best thing for the community in the long run.... mind you then we could distribute CE with leeroy, van and a couple of others pre-written into the squelch.txt to avoid scaring of noobs ;)
"The Architect" Global Moderator Death Knight Posts: 4694 Karma: +181/-110 *****

eyyy im walkin here

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2018, 10:42:09 AM »
ctrl-p if he msgs you in game
Peon Posts: 48 Karma: +6/-0 **

Disgruntled

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »
 Leroy should be banned for a good while every time he does this.  He's a toxic dick whos a long time repeat offender.
Squelch.txt is great idea