yes
8 (47.1%)
no
6 (35.3%)
undecided
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 14, 2018, 07:17:40 PM

Author Topic: Warcraft 2 Ru's Policy on harassment  (Read 28451 times)

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft 2 Ru's Policy on harassment
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
Not true at all, there were bans for breaking the code of conduct I've seen some back in the days. And there are still today.

Most of the time people used to make racist jokes and sometime even be disgusting without meaning it just for the fun of it and usually this was understood as is and or people would talk to each other and resolve the issue between them.

But if players reported an abuse it was followed by actions usually the player would receive a warning  followed by a ban most of the time temporary if the abuse wasn't too grave.
But sometimes they would be forever bans when it was a player that just wouldn't learn.

Yes admins were not all over the place reading logs and all to enforce the rules to the letter. No one has the time for that and it wouldn't be nice either no one wants to live in a police state.
But they would just step in if an abuse was reported that is all we need.

Most people back in the days would just not take the time to report small transgressions and were forgiving and understood what was part of a joke so I understand if felt that way.

It is not because you set rules that everyone will constantly report people that break them they will take the time to report if the abuse is too damaging and the guy does not stop after being warned, usually if players take that time it means something it should have consequences.

Again it works the same today blizzard rarely bans people just when they repeatedly cross the line but at least there is a line and people know they have a way to end it if it goes too far.

Of course this is not about having admin use the ban hammers all the time it is about agreeing on a general code of conduct between
us.

Just so people can say things like: "Stop harassing me or I will report you for this and there will be actions taken."
Most of the time that will be enough the guy will stop because if it has consequences then yes people will behave.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:47:04 PM by Cel »

Offline WyZe

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
if you're being harassed /dnd /squelch, etc. should be more than enough. if you're getting really butthurt about it step away from the computer and all your 'problems' are solved.

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »
Next time you see a person trying to get a child's real address for obvious disgusting reasons and you are here looking and crossing your arms saying parents should be ok to just squelch the guy and move on: think about if it was your child that was playing the game that day.

I could go on and on and on, you can defend yourself that is good. Now does that mean we should behave like animals and not care for others that could be weaker and more vulnerable?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:04:36 PM by Cel »

Offline WyZe

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
Never seen such a thing happen in the first place. Also, when I was 12 the rules of the internet were simple; don't tell anyone your real name, don't tell anyone where you live, don't tell anyone anything about you, pretty good logic to live by.

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
Well see not so long ago someone's child was harassed on the server check up that forum historic.

So yes it may happen.
Yet again you seem to be proud that you were given the tools to defend yourself guess what back in the days your parents had ways they could report such a thing if it happened on battle.net.
So that is one example that is a bad example sorry to say.

I say we are human we live in society we should make sure the environment is safe for its members right now war2.ru is a dangerous place to let a child play.
It can be also very aggressive toward minorities, do we want to stay that way to basically say if you are not strong enough just get out? Since when do you have to be a white supremacist and neo-nazi to feel at home and comfortable in a video game?

Offline WyZe

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
Yet again you seem to be proud that you were given the tools to defend yourself guess what back in the days your parents had ways they could report such a thing if it happened on battle.net.
So that is one example that is a bad example sorry to say.

My parents didn't and still don't have any idea what battle.net is. So that is one example that is a bad example sorry to say.

I say we are human we live in society we should make sure the environment is safe for its members right now war2.ru is a dangerous place to let a child play.

No, it's not. I wouldn't hesitate to let my kid play on war2.ru if he wanted to. Facebook/Youtube/Twitter/Instagram are infinitely more dangerous than war2.ru for example yet they are all used by children.

It can be also very aggressive toward minorities, do we want to stay that way to basically say if you are not strong enough just get out? Since when do you have to be a white supremacist and neo-nazi to feel at home and comfortable in a video game?

If someone wants to be a black supremacist or Turkish supremacist on war2.ru I say let them do it too, then the white people that aren't strong enough can feel uncomfortable too.

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »
Well your parents didn't have to know because nothing happened and nothing happened maybe because there were rules and well defined limits that is the point.

If we do what you say which we already do one group will eventually prevail and the others wont want to stay this is called cultural domination (as very well described by sociologists like Bourdieu).

The idea here is to prevent these destructive interactions as a way of strengthening the community.
Making sure no group of people is able to dominate and eliminate less aggressive and more peaceful ones. Without rules only the boldest the strongest and the most aggressive cultures survives.

If we want to bring back nice people of all levels playing the game we should make sure that they won't just be pushed away when they arrive.
Otherwise let's just say we give up on that too...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:52:14 PM by Cel »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 06:46:23 PM »
Its not just you. Babyshark is mentally ill it’s better not to respond to her. She takes arguments over the internet very seriously.

That's a pretty inappropriate thing to say, I am a bit dissappointed.

I think everyone here could be categorized as a bit mental. We all take internet games far too seriously.

When you are starting an official thread as an admin which basically states that the policy is "If I think it's bad enough I'll do somthing about it", to then single out a player in that same thread with a comment like this is quite startling. I realise the two of you don't get along but considering your position and the context, in my mind you have just dramatically strengthened some of BabyShark's assertions about you.

I have normally found you to be much more reasonable than this, we all have bad moments, I think this was one of yours.
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2018, 08:20:55 PM »
Again It is about having a welcoming environment for new people
../..
Why should we tolerate a few disgusting members to have such a bad impact and draw such a nasty image of our community.
../..
The problem is they are not just flagging themselves we all pay the price of these behaviors..

Yes.

To those who want to keep banging on about the "glory days", its a bit like saying "it was great back in the stone age when you could just hit your neighbour with a rock".

I remember those days, they were a fantastic time. Early battle.net and specifically WC2 was in my mind the birth of the global community. IMHO it is significant in the history of the human race.

Before fb or twitter or any of that stuff it was the first time in the history of mankind that 100,000 humans from all over the world were communicating in the same virtual community.

It was lawless, exhilarating and totally amazing. I get glassy-eyed just thinking about it, but the global community has evolved.

Do we want to continue to exist as a community or as a museum piece? We are in danger of ending up as a small collection of wax-dummies that is little more than a parody of a memory.

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 11:16:07 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/david.travis.908/videos/1561877193847781/
That is an amazing respond :-P
ps: no need for the gun to be real :-P

Offline Ywfn

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »
Yea, pulling a gun on someone for talking shit is awesome.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »
After 1 and half weeks the votes are in.

War2ru's current policy on harassment stands.

Harassment

In general, social behavior on the server is dealt with at the user-level.  When encountering unwanted messages from others, a user may choose to simply not listen, use the /squelch command, use the /dnd command, or ban the offending user from their games as necessary. 

However, occasionally harassment may arise, at which point administrators will step in.  Harassment will be considered to have taken place when a user makes a routine of bothering another user across multiple gaming sessions, and does in a persistent manner such that usual responses, such as typing /squelch once time each log-in session, fail to adequately handle the issue.

When a user is committing harassment, they will be warned by administrators, and failure to correct their behavior will lead to a ban.

Harassment is to be handled at the user level not the admin level.
war2 > war3

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 12:51:40 PM »
Yea, pulling a gun on someone for talking shit is awesome.
Well a fake gun... More like a psychological gun rather than a real one :-P

Lets be honest, there are many forms of violence. And verbal violence is one that is not being handled properly.
Cheers

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 07:35:48 PM »
Lets be honest, there are many forms of violence. And verbal violence is one that is not being handled properly.
Cheers

The poll shows the majority is happy with the current policies regarding "verbal violence."
war2 > war3