Author Topic: Atheism causes violence?  (Read 19429 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Atheism causes violence?
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »
As a God-fearing Catholic, this is pretty scary...
http://www.vox.com/2015/2/11/8019729/chapel-hill-shooting-atheism

Offline CumSavorer4385

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism causes violence?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
Atheism is a spiritual and mental illness that inevitably leads to violence and horror, OP.
Quote from: Swift
i don't know if i'll ever forgive you for how you treated turtleman

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
Atheism is a spiritual and mental illness that inevitably leads to violence and horror, OP.
I'd say that goes for any religion.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline CumSavorer4385

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/02/11/chapel-hill-killings-shine-light-on-particular-tensions-between-islam-and-atheism/

On Wednesday, the father of the two women said one of his daughters had mentioned Hicks’ before and felt he was anti-Muslim. A week ago, he said, she told her family she had  “a hateful neighbor.”

“Honest to God, she said, ‘He hates us for what we are and how we look,’” Dr. Mohammad Abu-Salha, who has a psychiatry practice near Chapel Hill, told The News Observer.

But reports that an outspoken atheist — most of Hicks’ many Facebook posts railed against religion
— had attacked a family who were visibly Muslim (the women wore headscarves) tapped immediately into a conversation that has been going on since Sept. 11 about why several of atheism’s biggest figures have singled out Islam for criticism.

Among them are biologist and writer Richard Dawkins and neuroscientist Sam Harris, who have both triggered controversy with their comments about Islam.

For example, after the Paris attacks on magazine Charlie Hebdo, Dawkins tweeted that “all religions are NOT equally violent. Some have never been violent, some gave it up centuries ago. One religion conspicuously didn’t.”

In an essay around the time of the controversy about a proposal to build a mosque near Ground Zero, Harris wrote that “At this point in human history, Islam simply is different from other faiths,” and that terrorist groups like al-Qaeda and the Taliban aren’t veering from the basic faith. “If they are ‘extremists’ who have deformed an ancient faith into a death cult, they haven’t deformed it by much. When one reads the Koran and the hadith, and consults the opinions of Muslim jurists over the centuries, one discovers that killing apostates, treating women like livestock, and waging jihad—not merely as an inner, spiritual struggle but as holy war against infidels—are practices that are central to the faith.”

Offline CumSavorer4385

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 03:07:29 PM »
"Go God Go" and sequel, "Go God Go XII" attempt to show that atheism can be just as radical as religion. In the future, all religion has been destroyed by Richard Dawkins and Mrs. Garrison and everyone is atheist in hopes that reason will prevent war. However, fanaticism nonetheless grows and there are several warring factions trying to decide whose logic is correct in determining their name. They also use 'Science' as an alternative to 'God' as a curse, e.g. 'Science Damn You', 'Science H Logic!'.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
I don't normally agree with The South Park Guys, but, hell, they make a good point.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 03:23:32 PM »

Yeah, about that...

Offline tora is a simp bitch for billionaires

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
atheism is the disbelief in any religion or deities .. some people want to take that belief to lash out at religion with mostly inane criticisms, while others are quiet and humble about their beliefs..  you don't hear about the latter , only the loud mouth annoying dipshits like dawkins and maher.. because of people like this, atheism has almost become a joke.

i'm an atheist because i have no belief in a deity. i don't fall under the 'islam is inherently violent' camp like many of the popular neo-atheist dorks who almost treat atheism like a religion trying to debunk other religions. this is not what atheism is about.. 

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »
Mr. Hicks is currently being held, without bond, in the Durham County Jail.
Our preliminary investigation indicates that the crime was motivated by an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking. Hicks is cooperating with investigators and more information may be released at a later time.
“Our investigators are exploring what could have motivated Mr. Hicks to commit such a senseless and tragic act. We understand the concerns about the possibility that this was hate-motivated and we will exhaust every lead to determine if that is the case. Our thoughts are with the families

Offline CumSavorer4385

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »
Mr. Hicks is currently being held, without bond, in the Durham County Jail.
Our preliminary investigation indicates that the crime was motivated by an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking. Hicks is cooperating with investigators and more information may be released at a later time.

lol yeah. you probably think michael brown got shot because he was breaking the law too

Offline CumSavorer4385

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »

serghneroff

Atheism causes violence
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 08:49:30 AM »
I think you can take it as read that everybody on this board condemns it.  I hope you're not going down the road of thinking that because we don't explicitly condemn an act by posting here we therefore tacitly approve of it.

Are you happy now that you have an example of somebody committing murder in the name of atheism?

Offline CumSavorer4385

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
It's funny because this guy was a certain kind of atheist that likes to talk about how peaceful and rational and smart they are compared to those crazy religious folk.

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 09:03:04 AM »
However, neighbors described Hicks as threatening. He complained about the noise of one resident playing a card game and playing music when she pulled into the lot.[18] Hicks wrote on Facebook about reporting a couple having sex in a car in the parking lot to the police. In 2013, Hicks reported a dispute between a tow truck driver and a car's owner to police, and walked to the parking lot with a gun.[18][36] A friend of Yusor stated that Hicks was "holding a rifle" while complaining about extra cars in the neighborhood and noise from their game of Risk.[18] Another resident and a friend of Barakat and Yusor Abu-Salha told the Associated Press that "Hicks complained about once a month that the two men were parking in a visitor's space as well as their assigned spot. 'He would come over to the door. Knock on the door and then have a gun on his hip saying 'you guys need to not park here.' [...] Both Hicks and his neighbors complained to the property managers who warned them to call the police if they were harassed again."[37][38]