Poll

Do you want a mechanism for adding maps to the ladder?

Yes (Suggest a way to make them official)
8 (88.9%)
No
1 (11.1%)
I do not care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Custom Map Recognition!  (Read 9212 times)

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Re: Custom Map Recognition!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
thats why blizzard made BNE version for  multiplayer, they were made with BATTLE NET EDITION, classic maps were not making for multiplayer, all maps with "classic icon" werent make for multiplayer!

so if some1 want play classic map  he should stop complain about "map is not fair"
it does go to show that players are still willing to play & able to enjoy maps that aren't perfectly balanced and fair, given that gow classic is the most played map of all time & played preferentially much moreso than its BNE counterpart

But also unfair makes things more interesting as it pushes the players to find work around and play with each other's strengths/weaknesses.
yeah!

One way to do that is to create weaknesses and strength for every spot like some spot have safer expand but have more exposed base things like that.
A+ !

I am more sold by Shepherd's map to be honest I think they are much more polished and we do need more awesome water maps like these. Also they are very fair.
yes! love shep's maps & definitely support their inclusion in ladder too

I remember there was stats about ru.server maps,players

we can also add if map was playing 100(50?) times in month as another rule to add new map
oh yes agree, i had the same thought in the other thread. hope to set up an official version of a data tracking type page on the site at some point
squeak!

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 07:50:37 AM »
I think more important then ladder is just gathering maps and having them included in Combat next edition. I talked to iL and he said releasing a new edition with just more maps could happen and I have gathered some maps but still need to get more.

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 08:30:18 AM »
You can't make a map and think it will be finished without a lot of testing and proper adjustments... It takes many hours to complete a good map, so if people are willing to put down the time, both players and map makers. I think some nice fun competitive maps could be added to the pool. The problem is to find serious people willing to test and come with feedback. If you can publish a map on the forum and people would test play and give feedback we have a good chance to get some good maps developed.

The maps could be rated/feedback through different categories. E.g. Competitive play,  Fun, Balanced, Dynamic (the map is not a complete mirror from each side). etc...

I'm willing to put down hours of work into this. I already got a long way to understand what's important to make a balanced maps and competitive maps. I still have a lot to learn, I have start tried learn play BNE style maps, so I can understand more what's needed. There is a lot to understand in how to make fair starting positions etc. Also I think a good map should be easy to learn with no special op barrack and tower placements (like in gow).

I also think the competitive part of warcraft 2 would benefit a lot from more 1s maps. But I guess that's really hard without tournaments promoting real 1s game play. Also many players seems scared of real 1s competitive play.

I invented my own system of naming the maps while beta testing them.  I add "+" sign to the map name to show that it's a beta test version. For example: Terenas Stand+.pub - Next version would be named Terenas Stand++.pub. And the final version should just be named Terenas Stand.pub. Terenas Stand map: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,3627.msg59546.html#msg59546

Would be great if the map pool can be updated and changed often! Great initiative! :)

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:03:32 PM »
I'm very happy for the positive reactions this topic got!

Let me answer in a few points:
About the ladder it is much more complex I think as changing the roaster of maps means changing the meaning of the current elo.
You would need to create a new elo I think.
We could do it though having a classic BNE elo that would be based on classic bne maps and a war2combat edition elo based on a completely different set of maps that we deem legit and fair enough.

Elo will normalize just fine... No need to make map related Elo. Take for example Unu... He only plays NWTR so his Elo is representative for the terrain you will fight him :-D

Incuding maps in the game folder and making them legit for ladder are I think two very different things.

I totally agree:
We then require two mechanisms:
(a) an inclusive mechanism that allows more maps to be distributed with the game.
(b) a strict mechanism that promotes some maps to ladder maps.

for (a)
I would say that we can set a number (N) of maps to be included per year! The N most popular new maps (either by vote or play) are included.
for (b)
We set a up a committee etc...

Cheers
ps: I need to go now I will continue tomorrow

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »
Continuing from yesterday...

You can't make a map and think it will be finished without a lot of testing and proper adjustments... It takes many hours to complete a good map, so if people are willing to put down the time, both players and map makers. I think some nice fun competitive maps could be added to the pool. The problem is to find serious people willing to test and come with feedback. If you can publish a map on the forum and people would test play and give feedback we have a good chance to get some good maps developed.
Yes, you are right a new map takes time to be completed! It takes time to create, beta test, and to improve.
But this is happening daily lately!

Maps from Shepherd, Nedro and XBremer and others are being played and improved often!
The problem is that further than a few people that recognize that by playing and helping these map makers the community stays dark!

So that is what all this topic is about :-) to make a way the work of map makers to reach a wider audience and get more recognition!

Also I want to bring to attention that we have/had 2 players that had joined the community to be map makers! Bjorn (@BJayLandmaker) which made by far the most pretty maps I've seen and an other new player @frontliner2 (which by the way has made a very cool map, bloodpath, which with a bit of beta testing and improvement might be a great to play map!)

These kind of players is what we need in this community! Players that contribute and devote their time constructively for all of us!

Offline BJayLandmaker

• Peon
    • View Profile
    • http://megamanmaker.captain-pollution.de
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 02:43:40 AM »
Thank you for the big compliment Igognito. I appreciate that. I did not play wc2 for months. Do people actually play my maps tho? I made a lot and would like to see that. I will make more maps at some point for sure. Since last August i'm into another game for making levels and doing live streams.

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 03:06:30 AM »
Yes, you are right a new map takes time to be completed! It takes time to create, beta test, and to improve.

Maps from Shepherd, Nedro and XBremer and others are being played and improved often!
The problem is that further than a few people that recognize that by playing and helping these map makers the community stays dark!

So where are the forum posts about these new maps? And who is beta testing? As I said, I am putting down a lot of hours into developing balanced maps, and does just get small response from community. And I've been a regular player for Warcraft 2 since the early days. I love this effort with trying to get better maps to war2, but the maps posted here so far is not really balanced. Although they could be! But there is a long way to go still...

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 07:38:02 AM »

So where are the forum posts about these new maps? And who is beta testing? As I said, I am putting down a lot of hours into developing balanced maps, and does just get small response from community. And I've been a regular player for Warcraft 2 since the early days. I love this effort with trying to get better maps to war2, but the maps posted here so far is not really balanced. Although they could be! But there is a long way to go still...

Try start location -> random

ta-da! balanced.

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »
Try start location -> random

ta-da! balanced.
:))

Last night we played a lot of maps from XBremer1!
Only thing needed is for you to come online and start advertising. Then slowly but constantly people will join your games. Usually we get a group of 6 (sometime 8) players make 2 more or less balanced teams and go for it!!!

Now if you have balanced 1s maps that is a very different story. Personally I'm not a 1s player. I simply do not enjoy 1s that much, but I will play you for testing the maps!
So prepare your team maps and come and host them tonight!!!! Speak to me XBremer1, Babyshark, ring, Tofu, Raimis, Cel, Xurnt, and many many others!

See you tonight (22:00+~CET)

Cheerios

Offline Igognito

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
Thank you for the big compliment Igognito. I appreciate that. I did not play wc2 for months. Do people actually play my maps tho? I made a lot and would like to see that. I will make more maps at some point for sure. Since last August i'm into another game for making levels and doing live streams.

You are welcome, and it is true in terms of beauty your maps ROCK!
Unfortunately, I cant host games otherwise I would be hosting some of them that I like to play :-)

I really like the 2nd map you have posted at:
http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,3198.0.html

that map is really fun to play :-D And one of the few you have not maxed out gold mines!

I also want to try Frozen World

Seabattle of Power is the map I have played the most among all :-)

Mystic Forrest is a good comps map if I remember well! I think I should mention this one to Sandman!
Also if we tune the goldmines I think it might be a great map for pvp :-)

You should join one of these nights (CET time) and host for us. Be a bit patient, I'm sure you will find players to play your maps!

I will also say to XBremer to have a look at your maps. He makes very interesting tactical maps but not so beautiful!
He could learn a few tricks from your maps and you from his :-D

Cheerios