Author Topic: moderated section update  (Read 8210 times)

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
moderated section update
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:54:37 PM »
it seems like the moderated section is pretty stabilized now! i have restored post editing ability by popular demand  :thumbsup:
squeak!

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
Re: moderated section update
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »
Where did lambchops win the majority of his peons I missed it

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »

They just like me cos I don't call them a bunch of newbie scrubs.
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
    • http://meatspin.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »

They just like me cos I don't call them a bunch of newbie scrubs.
Or ban people and accuse them of hacks because you got owned in free castles.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:04:09 PM »

Ok I was wondering about this also because I couldn't actually remember, so I did some research. Here's a breakdown:

I got 3 points for this:

well for starters you just called Lambchops a newb faggot whom I've never seen being mean to anyone.

Aww thanks @BabyShark :D I missed that one.

So for the record @jordan4385, I'm actually a non-homophobic newb hetro, so I don't actually take that as an insult. On the other hand if I was a gay newb I would probably take offence at the term 'faggot' and call you a cock-juggling lamer with the IQ of an average 4-slice toaster, but hey, I really don't care that much  ;)

-- edit --

Oh yeah on further investigation I think you meant to call Sentinal1 a newb faggot, not me. np stuff happens... and BTW I really don't give a toss who sucks who's weiner around here.

how can you be aware of richard dawkins..... almost made a point then totally blew it by spraying a bunch of inaccurate and irrellivant hate-fuelled abuse

Do you realise how utterly retarded you have to be to make me stick up for the fundementalist christian in a discussion like this? OMG how do you fail that hard? Ima call your mom right now and tell her to slap some decency into you.

I got a kitchenaid 4 slice toaster for myself for Christmas and it's really good.  learning that I like to set the darkness to 5 for Ego waffles, but only a 2 for poptarts.  I get these big soft Snyders pretzels from the freezer aisle and those i set the darkness to 3-4 and they come out nice and toasted on the outside and soft and warm on the inside.

Nice man, that sounds like a seriously above average 4 slice toaster :)

One point for this:

Introduction:
This was a very long write after a very long day. I'll fix all the ugly stuff of this post later....

Lol, if you fixed all the ugly stuff in this post there wouldnt be anything left ;D

..... but you forgot one:

No.26 - Go to McDonald's and get a cheap soft-serve ice cream. Then sneak up behind the other player and put the ice-cream next to their face but just outside their peripheral vision, then tap them on the shoulder. When they suddenly turn around the ice-cream will go all over their face and probably drip into the keyboard too. They will definately lose. #IceCreamHax

This post got 2 points:

lots of people like to collect useless action figures and keep them in the boxes and they can be expensive.  or old baseball cards.  so i guess bitcoin can have value sort of like that....

"For Sale: Original mint condition first release bitcoin. As new. Still in wallet. Will sell for 2 bitcoins or trade for galvanized box-trailer. Please forward photo of box trailer."

;D ROTF In hysterics ;D

This only got 1 point but deserved 3

In the end only the strong will survive.  That's been the case for 4 billion years and its not going to change any time soon just because it's not nice.

True, but this premise relys on a continually multiplying population. That is not what we see on this server.

It's a game, an artificial framework, the grunts should do the bullying in game.

I'm pretty sure "Come to our server and get cyber-bullied to prop up my ego because I have a tiny penis" is not a slogan that is going to keep the game alive.

The weak will die out, and weak shit like that will make war2 die out.

This got some points I think:

This is a really easy competition IDK why more people don't enter... maybe the really are all billionaires!

Here's an example of how easy it is to create a simple POS in only 3 minutes...

It's like...so personal it almost feels like I'm watching something I shouldn't be!

I don't know if I should tell you but my mouse was actually naked when I did that..... but it's ok the mouse consented.

How does one tell if a mouse is consenting or not?

Well that's the question. I think if the mouse is keen you can usually tell, but if it isn't you can definately tell!

As evidence I leave my 3 minute POS map as this surely could not have been achieved with a non-consentual pointing device ;)

1.5 points:

also youre one of the few people that take pride in taking the bait

Huh? Sorry you're a bit hard to understand while you're choking on that hook ;D

This got 1 point and a voucher for a discounted 7-11 microwave burger.

Yeah :)  they're nice, and they literally go on forever...  our human brains try to ascribe all sorts of meaning to them - flowers... galaxies... even the bhudda, but actually they're just numbers (and not even real numbers!), they don't really mean anything at all.

7 points:

I don't really know if I could declare one song to be above all others, but here's the first one I thought of.

potw

1 Point:

LAMBY'S 5 minute DIY puter building crash-course

- Pick a processor, make sure it has good cache speeds.

- Get a motherboard that supports it. If the CPU is "Slot-BakedBeans" get a board with a "Slot-BakedBeans"

- Make sure your motherboard supports your RAM... if your motherboard has slots for "DDR-poptarts" then get some "DDR-poptarts" RAM

- Get a nVidia video card and a solid state hard drive (SSD)

- Get a case with a good power supply

Plug everything in and don't install windows 10

-------------------------------------

Personally I find computer parts usually are priced kind of like this:

$1000 - OMG this is the most awesome thing ever! You need this OMG!
 $150 - stuff that was $1000 six months ago and is still 95% as good
 $120 - slightly lower spec stuff that is still ok if you're not building a space shuttle
 $90 - probably has some issues
 $80 - dodgey crap from some shitty company that also makes PVC pipe and umbrellas

The $150 stuff will build you a really nice system. A $120 stuff puter will still probaby be pretty good. A mix of the right $120-$150 stuff is usually what I go for. Sometimes the $90 things can be a good deal but research and use caution.

-----------------

These days all the bits inside a computer can only be plugged into its correct place, if it fits the socket then that's where it goes.

If there are multiple sockets of the same type they will usually be numbered from 0 thru n .... start at the 0 end.

Use normal care. Handle everything as little as possible and try not to touch the contacts, but don't panic - unless you're wearing a nylon jumpsuit and scrubbing your feet on the carpet parts rarely get damaged. Normal people can do this, you dont have to be a neurosurgeon.

If you have to attach a heatsink to a CPU, use some heat transfer paste like a thin smear of toothpaste.

Did I forget anything?

5 Points here:

50 Points:

Here ya go mate .... add it to the list of other things you should have learned in grade school.

argumentum ad ignorantiam

:critter:

2 Points:

you all suck at flaming.
so do all your mothers.

you all come from suspect ethnic backgrounds and have unsatisfactory genitalia.

lift your game you bunch of newbie scrubs.

;D

3 Points:

For anyone who doesn't already know:
Here's a pic of the 2 correct hall spots for a power mine.

This creates the highest possible gold flow rate. It's all about the peons not crashing into each other when you use this placement, they just walk straight to the mine and back to the hall.

As has been mentioned here, this is of little advantage when you don't have a lot of peons mining, as they rarely obstruct each other anyway, and on maps such as GOW where you typically have 60k or less in each mine there is no real point. The successful strats for these maps are well developed and they don't include power-mining.

Power mines are most useful when using a high gold strategy on maps that have larger amounts of gold in each mine.... most obviously air strats on custom maps where the mines have 600k+ gold.

1 Point:

I updated the SS grabber.

Now saves to PNG by default but will also save to JPG and/or bmp
also stamps the images with the PUD name, the time/date and the player names.

1 Point:

ALLIED COLORS ON MINI-MAP

This one was another idea from Nedro, it makes all allies blue and all enemies red on the mini-map.

You can toggle it on/off by pushing F2.

2 Points:

So you need to make a sheet up for the animation file. And it's restricted to 8 bit 64 colors?

8 bit = 256 possible colors, although much of the palette in wc2 will change from forest to winter etc. so is inappropriate for units, and as discussed obviously there are 32 entries (4x8 players) reserved for player colors, so 64 colors is probably about right, never actually counted them.

Thought you could string images together in a grp file.

Yes. GRP is actually an abbreviation of "group". There are only a handful of GRP's in WC2 that only have one image (oil patch, runestone, circle of power, dark portal, human and orc start locations) The buildings have 2 frames: half built and complete for each.

Most of the units have quite a few, i.e. the knight/paladin has 70:

Have a look at my GRP format pdf.

1 Point:

Here's a little app that will patch black to grey if you're not into hex editing.
GG

Half a point:

Mostly just to distract myself from more important stuff I should be doing, I made a little exe to patch/unpatch the map editor (any version).

Also the source code is attached if anyone's interested.

Some point:

PORT FORWARDING IN DD-WRT / VPNs

OK so I fired up the router (it's a NETGEAR WNDR4500) and discovered I had reflashed the stock firmware before mothballing it, so I put DD-WRT back on it, probably better to start from a clean install anyway. Its build 26138 – about 18 months old.

After the standard setup stuff – gateway address, DHCP, DNS etc. I just plugged in the port (6112) and the local IP of my gaming machine (for the purposes of this exercise I called it 192.168.3.33) and I was able to host without issue. But... I'm not using a VPN so that may be a causing problems.

OK So…. Port forwarding:

It's in the NAT section. This is not actually network address translation, but from a coding perspective its right there in the part thats deciding where to send packets based on transport layer info (which is a big part of what NAT does), so it makes sense that it would be grouped there on the config page. The important thing is that 'port from' and 'port to' are both the same so nothing is being translated, its just sending everything stamped with a '6112' to LAN address 192.168.3.33. In fact this should safeguard the passage of port 6112 traffic through any NAT that the router is a party to, although it won't help you if somebody upstream is switching ports on you.

Some protocols can safely pass through NAT, or actually they would be totally destroyed by NAT so they are given a pass. Things like IPsec, so if you have an option to use one of these, it might help.

Not much point really:

RE: How WC2 decides which hall a peon exiting a gold mine will return to.

OK don't have time to write a really good explaination but, in a nutshell, it's calculating distance from the top left corner of the mine.

hall is 4x4
mine is 3x3

hall size is taken into account
mine size is not

units are located where their top-left corner is (you can play with the map editor to see this)

Probably they have re-used code from the unit attack AI to find the closest enemy (with annoy factor).

Its the same thing as the old tower bug, where towers firing up and left would hit other towers that wouldnt fire back, because the size of the destination is being taken into account, but not the size of the source.

In this case you can think of the mine as shooting peons at the hall ;)

As mentioned the distance is what I call "square" distance - the maximum X or Y distance from the top left corner of the mine to the closest point on the hall.

so with that map....

because of the extra 2 squares in the width of the mine, the distance becomes 5 not 3, which is greater than the distance between the halls (which is 4) so in effect they are the same distance, in which case the peon will go for the hall with the lower Y co-ordinate (as they were both on the .PUD, if u built them it would go for the one you built first.

=D

EDIT:
... this is why you dont see this bug on the other side of the map where the halls are to the left of the mine, because then the distance is only 3, so its less then the Y offset....

(btw: the calculations on the pic above should have -1 on them, = 5 not 6 , but u get the idea)

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
in other words, basically every post by lambchops ever belongs in the :goldmine: :D
squeak!

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »
Right on I just remember looking at the peons one day and not knowing where you jumped ahead at. Congratulations!