Author Topic: War2 and Math  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: War2 and Math
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 10:49:29 PM »
Blid became an Architect through warcraft 2, the math is surely there

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 02:50:40 AM »
anyone here study math/physics/engineering? I realize after getting an engineering degree that Warcraft is full of differential equations, calculus and physics. specifically rates of change and exponential growth. curious if anyone else thinks the same? sorry for nerd talk

Yes. Definately. I have never actually done any sums, but res vs peon production/assignment derivatives are what its all about.

In practice however these tend to come down to make X peons asap - A peons mine, B peons build, C peons chop type formulas which have already been discovered by trial and error.

But I have considered graphing exactly where the optimal pstop / pull / hold / fort points are... I would probably have done this already except I suck so bad at executing even basic strats that its a bit of a moot point for me lol.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:38:08 AM by Lambchops »
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
Blid became an Architect through warcraft 2, the math is surely there

😂😂

Offline van

• Grunt
  • Vandalization complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »
I feel bad someone spent all that type to play/make that map.   Talk about bored.
You just got vandalized, vanimal style.

Offline mik0r_

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »
Lol PB, never knew you were so deep. should have figured with all the crazy builds.. I don't know about direct modelling, so many factors. Instead of graphical you would have to use some kind of matrices and that gets really complicated. However, I have this nagging idea that the current era of heavy micro could be undone by some kind of elementary power strat. By this, I don't mean lust. I mean macro build, low tech. I did an experiment using real time measurement. in roughly 8 minutes you can make 9 lusted ogres. in that same 8 minutes you can make 54 lvl 5 grunts. Not really practical, but interesting. I remember before the excellent catapult micro and wall in expertise combination attacks of grunts/ogres without lust and dual options with low tech. Some variation of these ideas could lead to diversity game play instead of all the cookie cutter crap that is going on now.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 02:59:13 AM »
Lol PB, never knew you were so deep. should have figured with all the crazy builds.. I don't know about direct modelling, so many factors. Instead of graphical you would have to use some kind of matrices and that gets really complicated. However, I have this nagging idea that the current era of heavy micro could be undone by some kind of elementary power strat. By this, I don't mean lust. I mean macro build, low tech. I did an experiment using real time measurement. in roughly 8 minutes you can make 9 lusted ogres. in that same 8 minutes you can make 54 lvl 5 grunts. Not really practical, but interesting. I remember before the excellent catapult micro and wall in expertise combination attacks of grunts/ogres without lust and dual options with low tech. Some variation of these ideas could lead to diversity game play instead of all the cookie cutter crap that is going on now.

Yeah I like the way you're thinking.

Obviously the problem with this type of big low-tech build would be breaking wall buildings ... i.e surprise lusties can kill a building before the defender even has a chance to start repairing it, but you can't get 54 grunts to attack the same building simultainiously, so you're going to need something else... cats ... saps ... archers?!

How many cats can you build for the price of a hold+alch+1 sap?

One thing I am amazed about - and I think is a mistake - is that most gow players seem to NEVER upgrade their cats. Even when people are spending 900 each on 6 or more cats in a 9/s9 cat battle they still don't seem to think its worth spending 1500 to upgrade them all.

Bear in mind that the upgrade takes the same time as building the first cat, so you get the advantage right from the start of the battle... or if you only upgrade when you see your opponent is catting too then you get it from when your 2nd cat is built.

How is this not worth the cost?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:58:22 PM by Lambchops »

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 04:36:03 AM »
Paperboy top 10 newbs on the server easy

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »

Yeah I like the way you're thinking.

Obviously the problem with this type of big low-tech build would be breaking wall buildings ... i.e surprise lusties can kill a building before the defender even has a chance to start repairing it, but you can't get 54 grunts to attack the same building simultainiously, so you're going to need something else... cats ... saps ... archers?!

How many cats can you build for the price of a hold+alch+1 sap?

One thing I am amazed about - and I think is a mistake - is that most gow players seem to NEVER upgrade their cats. Even when people are spending 900 each on 6 or more cats in a 9/s9 cat battle they still don't seem to think its worth spending 1000 to upgrade them all.

Bear in mind that the upgrade takes the same time as building the first cat, so you get the advantage right from the start of the battle... or if you only upgrade when you see your opponent is catting too then you get it from when your 2nd cat is built.

Ever watched BHC-Hawk play before? :P

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
Ever watched BHC-Hawk play before? :P

Recognise the name but I don't think I've ever played/watched him. Only really been paying attention to gow etc. recently.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 09:17:32 PM »
he was pretty notorious for breaking the standard cookbook 8 grunt/cat/lust with a 3 rax/grunt/cat rush i believe what blid is referring to

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 09:40:00 PM »
Yeah that's one particular, and also in general he had a very strong early game, and went in hard pre-hold/keep a lot of the time.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 01:36:04 AM »
Yeah that's one particular, and also in general he had a very strong early game, and went in hard pre-hold/keep a lot of the time.

Since he was playing human, he should got early strong and Focus to win games Before late game and lust
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 01:24:49 PM »
And when he did play orc (BHC-FORC) he wasn't as good as his pressure-heavy human game.