-
« on: August 30, 2018, 03:54:35 PM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:04:38 PM by Sepi »

Offline Lone

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: War2 timer beta version has been created
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 03:17:59 AM »
What's this? It adds a clock to the game?

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 07:50:16 AM »
Is it real time or game time?

i.e. if the game lags does the timer stop?
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:00:12 AM »
Is it real time or game time?

i.e. if the game lags does the timer stop?

its not my program i havn't tested it or know much about it. I only know that if you pause the game, the timer keeps going.

Ok, so real time.

Game time would be better, then you could use it for timing strats and stuff, but it's still a useful approximation, and a cool idea.

Well done fois.  :)

-- EDIT --

Should put this thread in Mods and Development
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:02:31 AM by Lambchops »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »

Should put this thread in Mods and Development

Yes. Should I create a new similar thread in mods & dev or pm Blid or Mousey to move the thread?

Either or. If you want, I'm sure @mousEtopher will move it for you next time she's doing stuff.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
ddraw.dll means it will conflict with "proper" version of graphics fixing ddraw.dll from aqrit?
For example i use ddraw2 for win7 and old videocard (no shaders), ddraw4 for win7 and new one, ddraw_mini for win8, but when i need timer i need to replace them all to this thing?
I'd say, external .exe with activate option would be better for such functionality.
Not sure if to feel it legal or not. Timer makes disbalance in the game, but maybe we can integrate it into war2 (as warlatency) and it will be ok...
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »
legality is just as questionable as any other modification like double click or changing hotkey configuration, they all simplify/offload some aspect of gameplay that the player must ordinarily account for themself and thus create an unfair edge for those using it over those not.

it can be interesting to explore the potential of the revised gameplay parameters though (ironically the same argument that usa-archer made for posting hacks on his website, haha. hacks are just unsanctioned mods) -- the most important thing is ensuring that all players in a matchup understand & agree to the parameters up front but we can see that this is already not happening especially in the increasingly common case of modded hotkeys, and people using the double click without disclosing it, etc. at least if people want to play in matchups that prohibit the timer it can be caught in a ss, though of course the next step would be people creating ways to add a timer that can be toggled w/ a hotkey (this can probably already be cobbled together w/ various freely available apps pretty easily without needing some war2-specific tool)

in reality the kind of people who care about playing on an even field will make the effort to do so, and those who don't won't, and there isn't much we can do from a moderation perspective without better enforcement technology. probably most people won't care about using a timer & the ones who are skilled enough for it to make a difference in their playing won't want to play on unfair terms.
squeak!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 12:08:41 AM »
I'm having trouble seeing this mod as anything more than a conveniance/curiosity.

If the timer displays actual elapsed time then wouldn't it be pretty much useless for any actual precision timing of events? It could only be used for that in a 100% perfectly lag free game where nobody presses the pause button. When was the last time anybody played one of those?

Strategy wise if you put a sticky note next to you computer with "at 5:30 remember to upgrade cats" well I guess it might help someone really new, but I can't see it giving a pro player any real advantage at all.

... or am I missing something idk?

--- edit ---

..... doesn't seem to be a massive cheating hack, like Observer, which is already bundled with CE.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:12:59 AM by Lambchops »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 03:11:34 AM »
ddraw.dll means it will conflict with "proper" version of graphics fixing ddraw.dll from aqrit?
For example i use ddraw2 for win7 and old videocard (no shaders), ddraw4 for win7 and new one, ddraw_mini for win8, but when i need timer i need to replace them all to this thing?
I'd say, external .exe with activate option would be better for such functionality.
Not sure if to feel it legal or not. Timer makes disbalance in the game, but maybe we can integrate it into war2 (as warlatency) and it will be ok...

Yeah replacing ddraw is an odd way to do this. Not sure why it was done that way. I guess it makes it easy to overlay the text without having to worry about timing with screen updates.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 07:50:14 PM »
nice
could it have milliseconds ??? for speed running ?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:52:46 PM by easycompany »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 04:47:48 AM »
I'd say need to show some time intervals based on game cycles similar to seconds instead of real seconds. Pause will pause it, speed up/down will increase/decrease speed of that timer, etc.
And it need to be implemented as a separate process (same as war2observe). Then it will be perfect thing to implement. If community will not consider that a hack.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.