Author Topic: tk[as] for admin  (Read 19397 times)

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: tk[as] for admin
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
indeed, it can be sometimes.

there are some people with some REALLY BIG ideas that just don't get the attention/support they deserve in my opinion. more or less dismissed without ever being given the chance to fail or succeed.. which was one of the reasons i left to begin with.. and im remembering some of my frustrations back then and not super eager to take those same frustrations back on.

my advice for admins: the server seems to be at 40-50 max users at any given time these days. Ask for ideas. Give those ideas a chance regardless of how you feel about them. If they're good they will succeed. If they're bad they will fail.... but ultimately, the server literally has nothing to lose by trying different approaches.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 11:05:53 AM »
I really would like to know why firewall hole punching was never looked into... There are programmers for hire that im sure would be willing to do it.

In my mind all that needed to happen was either iL, or someone iL trusted find the programmer willing/able to do it.. find out the cost.. and raise the funds from the community. None of which i believe should be a problem.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »
If we were able to get that ball rolling.. I have a pretty good idea how to build some of our user base.. but it wouldnt make sense to spend time/money getting users here that aren't able to host.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 11:51:52 AM »
also known as UDP hole punching. It's very common in many applications. Skype for example uses it.

It's been a while since i looked into it .. but from what i remember:

Our computers will not directly communicate with eachother (send/recieve tcp/udp packets through port 6112). If you try to join my game, you are at the root sending me packets of information asking for communication... But if my computer does not recognize your computer, it will not allow/recieve those packets of information... so you wont be able to join me.

That's why the lat trick works.. when you try to join my game, your computer recognizes me as someone it is willing to send/recieve information to.. so by the time you host, and i try to join you, your computer is willing to talk with my computer.. because it recognizes me from when you tried initiating the conversation.

Once we download/install war2combat, we're giving that program all types of permissions. One of those permissions can be to ask the server ""Ask player A to send a UDP packet to player B over port 6112 and visa versa)"

so as soon as you long on server. the server tells your computer to send udp packet to all players online, and asks all of them to send you a udp packet.. suddenly all computers recognize eachother and are communicating.. fixing the hosting problem.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 11:53:21 AM »
its a really basic concept that would fix hosting, and based on what little ive looked into it, a pretty basic script. it just needs to be implemented

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
^--- that looks like the fix right there?

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
This is why I was so frustrated with being an admin and left.. the fixes are out there. they're simple.. but someone just needs to take the initiative to make them happen... and that's not happening.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
no firewall punching.

im confused. what?

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »
this is a really simple thing... im not understanding what qualifications i need to talk about something so basic?

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »
firewall hole punching.. sounds fkin retarded.

Edit: If firewall hole punching was implemented,

tk you are certainly not a person qualified to have a constructive conversation, as evidenced by this conversation. And you most certainly are not qualified to forcefully implement firewall punching.

i really dont know what else to say... if it's not something you understand, maybe research it before you question my ability to discuss this?  I mean I'm not a teacher, but i have no problem discussing the alphabet with my child

This is a very simple concept. a very simple script. If you're not comfortable with it, i urge you to look into it..

this is an extremely commonly used technique to force communication between computers.. the end result is exactly the same as port forwarding.. this just allows the server to essentially do it for everyone.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
it just doesnt make any sense to me.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 12:22:23 PM »
i feel like you're being extremely paranoid right now and should probably relax.

if you dont want to have a productive conversation about UDP/firewall hole punching, i dont really have anything to discuss with you at this time.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 12:24:43 PM »
i was discussing a pretty basic concept and you seemed to shoot it down immediately without even understanding the concept, then proceeded to imply i wasnt even qualified to discuss it?