Author Topic: Backup Servers  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
Backup Servers
« on: October 05, 2018, 07:15:23 PM »
I figure this is a good time to bring it up. Here is my question. Let's say the normal server has 67 people on. Server goes down, you go to backup server, and it only has 7 people on. Now, sure, maybe people in the past have just decided to wait but obviously this is going to take a while because this is Drama.RU. Even though you people all have (or most) jobs, should be in your 30s (mostly) and much more mature. But that is another story.

Mouse's server right now, has a whole 23 users online currently. My question is, why is that? Do people just stop playing the game because they don't want to click a couple more times before they log in? Are they anti backup servers?

I'm going to go with, a lot of people don't know about the backup servers, but that is just my assumption. How well do we advertise or show people what to do when the server is down?

Is it ever posted on the home page or forum when the main server goes down? Are there bots on the other backup servers telling people where to go? Something just doesn't make sense here and I'm curious what you guys think.

Side note: Mouse, maybe you can answer this. Why does your server not get spammed?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:46:03 PM by Harrywangs »

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Backup Servers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 01:59:43 AM »
He is right!

Guys cmon dont let them retards push you away from your  favorite game lets play and have fun together!

Go on mousetopher's server it is war2.me,  and trust me we do play games quite nicely there:

May elves rule this land for ever! Go humans! - YouTube
Lets go boys you know you want it!
This game was played moments ago, Go humans! :P
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:44:12 AM by Cel »

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
because mouse may have ddos protection...i would def consider a move where u know u got more control.

oh its someone that has a grudge on this game for sure.dellam comes to mind but i dont think its him.

wow nice! looks like mouse has got unanimous from the people the war2 server.

omg them elves lol..sometimes i think they are the 2nd most op unit.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:19:47 AM by easycompany »

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »
Mouse's server right now, has a whole 23 users online currently. My question is, why is that? Do people just stop playing the game because they don't want to click a couple more times before they log in? Are they anti backup servers?

I'm going to go with, a lot of people don't know about the backup servers, but that is just my assumption. How well do we advertise or show people what to do when the server is down?
it's likely that they don't know to switch, yeah. i've written various guides about things like this, e.g. http://en.war2.ru/support/switching-to-backup-server-if-main-server-is-down/ but most active players never even look at the website.

Is it ever posted on the home page or forum when the main server goes down? Are there bots on the other backup servers telling people where to go? Something just doesn't make sense here and I'm curious what you guys think.
generally no, aside from the threads regular users make to report outages, since i'm the only one who updates the various websites. it would definitely be smart to have some kind of SOP to follow when the main server goes down but the problem is there's currently no central hub that people know in advance to check when it happens. we have a ton of different platforms that people use (forum, website, discord, twitter, 2 facebook pages, 1 facebook group, etc) and no easy/convenient system in place to cross post updates to them. that's just another symptom of the larger problem that the whole war2.ru project is horrifically unorganized, understaffed, & spread out over multiple badly-coordinated independently operating websites/platforms. ive made attempts to improve these things but i have a finite amount of time & it's not encouraging when i'm essentially working on them alone.

Side note: Mouse, maybe you can answer this. Why does your server not get spammed?
as far as i can tell the only reason mine is still running is because whoever is doing these current attacks is singling out war2.ru specifically. i dont think the server war2.me is hosted on has any special ddos protection, it's gone down multiple times before during past attacks.
squeak!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »
oh btw, there's also this page i set up a while ago that can be useful to see where the most players are currently logged on: http://en.war2.ru/status
squeak!