Author Topic: New Colors?  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Friezus Christ

• Critter
    • View Profile
New Colors?
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:21:35 PM »
Hello, sorry for such a plebian question, but I've noticed in recent videos there has been a baby blue colored faction. Is that replacement for an existing color? And where can I download the new colors?

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: New Colors?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:56:42 PM »
Usually the color replaced is the black color because it is harder to see on the minimap most of the streams use the black to pink mod but you can change the color directly I think the light blue color is something Szwagier did for himself or at least was one of the first to use as a replacement to pink.
You may ask the man @Szwagier:thumbsup:

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
yes i have got light-blue

http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,2703.60.html

here you can download and make color whatever you want
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 06:28:04 AM »
Oh red/green color blindness. Didn't know that was a problem. Never considered it.

HERE's a patcher that will change red to a bright teal color as well as black to a lighter shade of grey (mini-map only).
Just run it and select [patch] from the menu then locate your warcraft II bne.exe file.

If you don't like it just select [unpatch] and it will reverse the process.

If you have already used my original black minimap patcher, you will have to unpatch that using the original patcher before applying this one ( or just re-install ).

:critter:

-- edit --

The red looks like this:

Does that work for you? I have no way of knowing.

-- edit --

And despite this being the most vanilla exe imaginable, totally unprotected, does nothing but write 8 bytes to a file that the user selects there's still one stupid A-V scanner that says it's "unsafe".

Fear-mongering for profit. Must be a Trump product  ;D

-- last edit --

HERE's the source if anyone's interested. It compiles with MASM32

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:07:28 AM by Lambchops »
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »
damn lamby, so cool & helpful!! ^_^

@Friezus Christ Incos made a custom color thing a while back that had baby blue, i think someone else released another color pack later on that might've been nicer/improved but can't remember any search terms to find it. here's the one by Incos: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,3127.0.html download the war2patch.mpq file and copy it into c:\war2combat (backup the existing file if you want to restore it later) he also shared another version with different colors, plus there's some general info in the that thread on how to use lamby's app if you're interested in doing it yourself. :thumbsup:
squeak!

Offline Friezus Christ

• Critter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated! I'm easily entertained by new color schemes for units lol.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 04:03:47 AM »
Thanks Mousey :)

Should point out that there are 2 different methods at play here. Most traditional solutions involve editing the palettes (forest.ppl, winter.ppl ... etc) that are included in the game 'mpq' data files.

If you want you can use mpq tools to extract the .ppl files then edit them with my palette editor then either replace the originals in War2Dat.mpq or include the updated files in War2Patch.mpq (which will be used in place of the War2Dat versions).

The patcher above uses a different approach where it mods the wc2 exe so that it uses a different palette entry (color) to display a mini-map color without actually changing the palette at all.

The advantage of the patcher is that it is a quick and easy 1-step fix. The only disadvantage is that I *think* it upsets War2bneInsight, for no reason other than Insight checks the exe then refuses to work because it doesn't recognise the changed exe as a valid version.

I say "I think" because maybe it is some other exe mod I have done that upsets it lol not sure. Perhaps some one else can confirm this?

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!