Author Topic: Forum Changes Feb 2015  (Read 50770 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Changes Feb 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »
I'm a lawyer.

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
    • http://meatspin.com
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 12:59:08 PM »
How about a reputation for trusted People in the community.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Both those posts you linked, they're low-content but they're directly related to the posts preceding them. That's not really "spamming."  I don't really see that kind of post as a big deal.  why is ganz posting "I AM LEGEND" not spam, but ryu posting a pic saying "Look son, a legend" is spam?  Does it really bother lots of people?

This:

My personal point of view: it's related to previous post of course.
But that is not related to the main thread subject. And that is not some kind of useful information about any other subject discussing in the same thread. That's just a kind of joke.
And that is what i'd call spam. More precisely: "Spam, obnoxious pictures, offtopic garbage".

I'd be happy to see more quality than quantity of the content here on the forum. Except flame and general sections.

why is ganz posting "I AM LEGEND" not spam

I'd suppose that looks like spam also.
But another side that all that thread is not serious. Nothing to care about the quality of content. So, not a big deal also.

I think we can move that threads to flame wars and don't care of spam there. BTW, 2 of 5 these threads are there already.

That is just my personal point, not an official position.
I'll accept any of your decisions, blid, just need to make these situations transparent, what to do and what not to do.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »
just need to make these situations transparent, what to do and what not to do.
Quoted for truth, i just brought the matter into mod attention, it's up to you what you decide. All i ask for is transparency and consistency

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »
The tricky thing is personally im not sure how id determine spam is consistent.  like, if you (claw or iL) suddenly made a post that was nothing but a smiley, that's not your habit and it's just once so it's not a problem.  maybe you have a reason you wanted to do it.  but when ryu makes hundreds of posts of just a picture or just a smiley, then it starts becoming spammy, and some people raise it as an issue.  spam i think is kind of related to volume of posts more than the content or lack of content in a single post.  the only person who i think has made a habit of this is ryu.  i don't know how you'd write a rule to this effect, i think it's more just common sense.  you don't want to stop people from posting the way they want, until the way they want to post starts harming the forum experience for others.  what do you think?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:24:23 PM by blid »

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 02:50:12 PM »
since Ryu is a person and not a bot i kind of want to be accommodating to him posting here.  so if you want a consistent rule right now what i'd have for ryu would be a) no posts of just a smiley, b) make sure the pics you post are on topic.  that's it really.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
I post mostly through the phone so its hard to type long novelistic posts. Why I usually settle with a meme or a emoji. [emoji28]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
like, if you (claw or iL) suddenly made a post that was nothing but a smiley, that's not your habit and it's just once so it's not a problem.  maybe you have a reason you wanted to do it.  but when ryu makes hundreds of posts of just a picture or just a smiley, then it starts becoming spammy, and some people raise it as an issue.  spam i think is kind of related to volume of posts more than the content or lack of content in a single post.
Absolutely agree with that. Had the same thoughts today.
I think it can be funny if about 10% of someone's posts would be some useless smiles or senseless pictures. That just let's people relax.
But when about 90% of posts is that senseless spam (or garbage, or w/e), it just turns forum to something i'd be not happy to see.

the only person who i think has made a habit of this is ryu.
Well, i'd say Ryu is not only one who do that, but i'd address this this message to him at the first time. I'm also not about rules, warnings, etc, i'm just about what i'd want to see on this forum.
you don't want to stop people from posting the way they want, until the way they want to post starts harming the forum experience for others.  what do you think?
Absolutely agree with you here.
And i don't want to talk about the rules now, i want to talk how i want to see the forum of my dream:

here's the big difference between chat and forum:
Chat is 1 topic with no subject, everyone discuss everything they want there.
That's good because you can just post anything you want there and others will see it. That's easy.
But when you (or anybody else) need to find something, it's absolutely impossible. So chat id good to share the information between people but useless to store this information.
Chat is perfect for instant messaging like aim, skype, bnet or w/e. Also perfect for senceless talking about everything.

Forum is many topics structured by many sections. Each topic has it's name according to it's content.
That's mean if you want to say or ask something, you should form your message subject, then try to find the topic with the same or similar subject and then post it there or to create new one if it's not exist.
That's probably more difficult for you, but then your message could be found easily by yourself and others.
Forum is perfect for delayed messaging, when you can post, disappear and then return after a long time. Also perfect for discussing definite questions.

I strongly want to see this forum as forum. With all these well-structured topics, where you can open the forum contents and see a list of topic names. When you click any topic, use see the discussion related to the topic name.

- When some thread going to change it's subject during the conversation, i'd like to see somebody who turned it back to the main subject. Or to split this new discussion subject to another thread. 1 step away from the main thread subject is ok, 2-nd step away (inside the same thread) is not welcomed in general, 3-rd step weans we should eighter stop that or to make a new thread to talk about that different subject.

- When someone asks about something that have been discussed already, i'd like to let him get the link to discussed thread instead of repeating the same information in the same thread. Then we keep the forum structured.

- When someone wants to discuss some offtopic subject appeared in the thread, he is free to create the new thread with according name and post his post to discuss. That helps to keep the forum structured.
- When someone wants to post 1 comment about some offtopic subject or to post a smile, he shouldn't do it. Because it will clog the forum structure.

That is how i see the logic of informational forum part.
Flame section is kind of chat, you feel free to post anything in every random topic there.

My dream is to get well-structured forum with different threads for different discussions.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline tolsty

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 01:05:33 AM »
On many forums flood and offtopic punished. These messages are transported in the flame and are not considered in counting the total number of messages. Immediately lost the desire just to chat.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 09:00:59 AM »
On many forums flood and offtopic punished. These messages are transported in the flame and are not considered in counting the total number of messages. Immediately lost the desire just to chat.

Yes, this is one of our new measures. If things get too out of hand in a thread posts are split and moved to the Flame Wars board, and those posts no longer count towards total post count.
squeak!

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »
Hahaha lol.....dont sweat it [emoji16] [emoji106] As long as you don't act like a Equinox or Claw on a off day u'll avoid mousey cursing at you [emoji6].

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:29:42 PM by EviL~Ryu »

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 07:35:46 PM »
Increased warning duration from 24 hours to 5 days to make them slightly less useless. (Decreases at a rate of 2%/24 hours.)
squeak!

Offline EviL~Ryu

• Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »
Increased warning duration from 24 hours to 5 days to make them slightly less useless. (Decreases at a rate of 2%/24 hours.)
Give me a warning of 49%, i like to live life on the edge [emoji9]

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 08:00:46 PM »
Give me a warning of 49%, i like to live life on the edge [emoji9]

give me a 1000% warning while your at it.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
She dint warned nobody anyway, she just shut her mouth all day long to finnally get out of no where and ban peoples for no reason.

She also lie about her own rules, telling me deleteing account is for spammer and finnaly ban me for spamming.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.