Author Topic: [done] streaming problems..  (Read 4368 times)

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
[done] streaming problems..
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:43:15 PM »
so i set war2obs up ... set it to 30fps.. but fois[as] said he was watching the stream and it said 60 fps.. what gives?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:49:32 PM by mousEtopher »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: streaming problems..
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:52:49 PM »
after i stopped the stream... went to my twitch channel to watch the video i just streamed. the replay seemed fine. but actually streaming was not good according to all viewers

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:25:02 AM »
they said lag spikes... all quit watching while it was actually streaming

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:55:29 AM »
hey tk :-)

You want to check your bitrate depending on your connection I use 2500 for my setup but I am like super close to twitch server where I live.
If that is the encoding and the cpu is a bit too used you can try using the nv encoder that uses your gpu instead I didnt need to change that and use the x256 one.
for the resolution you want to make sure that any downscale happens in your video option.
for fps value I use 59.9 which works nice for me.

my output resolution is pretty high too (1460 822) but you may have it lower :-)

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
ill look at it when I get home thanks.

I still think its odd that I have 30fps set on observe, but fois[as] is saying he sees 60fps on twitch

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 02:41:37 PM »
oof i see what you mean, i watched some of a recent broadcast & that stream lag is brutal. i had the same kind of lag on mine & was able to mostly resolve it by changing a bunch of settings.

so i set war2obs up ... set it to 30fps.. but fois[as] said he was watching the stream and it said 60 fps.. what gives?
how was fois measuring it? your broadcast from 2 days ago shows 20-30 fps in the video stats which matches a 30 fps setting in OBS.

in that replay you're averaging low-to-mid 20s fps & sometime dropping lower which explains the lag. my stream had similar low fps spikes & after i changed settings it stays pretty consistently at 30 fps or slightly above & the lag improved. 

i recommend running TwitchTest which is useful to determine the best server to use & what sort of bandwidth/quality you can expect when using it: https://r1ch.net/projects/twitchtest (make sure to click "north america" checkbox since those are the only servers you need to test). it's hard to advise more without knowing your full system/connection specs & OBS settings, but some general tips for an average connection/machine:

- use CBR in "encoding settings" if you're not

- process priority class "normal", x264 preset "veryfast", keyframe interval "2" in "Advanced settings"

- bump up to at least 1500 bitrate if you think your connection can handle it (the twitchtest website has more useful info about bandwidth, it's helpful to read all the info on that page)

- consider dropping your resolution to 640x480, rn you're broadcasting at your full system res 1600x900 which is sending more data than you need to be (since war2 is max 640x480) which is tying up more bandwidth to broadcast essentially the same thing. (here's what mine looks like @ 640x480 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/361495418) since you're on win10 a window capture will probably work + change the base resolution in settings > video (you might need to install fois's ddraw file first for it to work https://github.com/FunkyFr3sh/Aqrit-DDraw-Hack/releases it bonus allows windowing war2 w/ alt+enter !!)

- can also be useful to read some random "stream optimization" guides which is helpful to learn what all the dif settings mean & how they interact, which will help you gauge what settings will work best w/ your setup https://blog.streamelements.com/8-obs-tips-to-make-your-stream-run-smoothly-a8d634b34bce

- you could also set a start/stop hotkey so you can toggle the stream before & after games, it breaks your broadcasts into individual videos & makes it easier to pick out GGs afterwards so you can highlight them or export to youtube

hope it helps!!! i wanna see the tk+lambchops V shotgun series when it happens :D
squeak!

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 02:53:08 PM »
thanks for the detailed response.. ill see if modifying the stuff works after work. I ordered a new router last night .. my old router is about 12yr old.. im wondering if it just can't support the dozen devices we have in the house.. and is causing conflict which is causing lag/spikes. newer router will be better regardless but ill check out the things u mentioned

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 07:42:04 PM »
Funny story.. I didnt even know fois was a programmer. When you typed "might need to instal fois ddraw" in your previous post i was like "maybe she mistaken"

I tried all of the things u mentioned (which i really apprecaite u taking the time to try to help/type out)  .. but they didnt work unfortunately.

i ended up msging fois to see if you did indeed type his name correctly and sure enough you did... we got to talking and tried messing with OBS classic some more with no success.. he ended up suggesting I use OBS Studio instead of OBS classic. instead of monitor capture, he had me change to display capture and manually change the aspect ratio from 1600x900 to 640x480 in settings > video  ... streamed.. and works like a charm now. it's beautiful.

again i appreciate the time.. but also good knowing that this should fix it for people having similar issues.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
great, glad to hear you got it working !! :D :thumbsup: changing the resolution to 640x480 would probably have had the biggest effect out of all the changes i listed so i probably should have emphasized that more. also good to know you had better results w/ OBS studio. OBS classic was the only version at the time i wrote the guide & ive never gotten around to updating it (since most of the information carries over, the interface is just a little different)
squeak!