Author Topic: ?  (Read 4673 times)

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
?
« on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »
I'm tired of sc2. Is war3 still popular? Last time I played was when it came out and about for a 1 year. And there was only roc and tft. Anyone here play war3 or is it dead?

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:42:54 PM »
Try brood war it’s a lot better

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 01:01:19 AM »
Thanks for the input.

I find it really annoying that games like sc2 and war3 dont have fog of war/hidden minimap if that makes sense. Why does the game start with the entire map layed out and you can see everything other than the enemy. IMO that just brings too much knowledge and stuff into the match.

I like that in war2 you have to scout the map to reveal it, then you can see wood chops through the fog etcetc.

Sc2/war3 is just too robotic for my liking I think. You know exactly what the enemy strategy is going to be just by knowing his race which is lame.

Sure war2 graphics can't compete with those but man...This game is still playable and fun after 25 years.

Who's with me!?!?!!

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 02:32:51 AM »
About Wood in w2 there should be patch like in aoe1, we shouldnt see it in fog

W2 got Less units than w3/sc/sc2, So Less strategy
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Lone

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:52:37 AM »
Less units, but maps are not symmetrical.

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »
I like that war3 is kinda close to war2 gameplay wise. I'm not a fan of heros and items and having to creep through. That ruined it for me. Makes it feel more like a WOW

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »
War2 is about space management not so much about army composition what you loose in units diversity you win in terrain and space management.
Units in war2 are all about managing that space and controlling that big grid.

War2 has 14 units per race which is not so far from what other games have to offer which is around 15.
The only difference is you do not specialize your army in war2 you do not ignore half of your tech tree because you committed to the other half.

In war2 every unit is used at high level and has things it does better than the others.

Short example:

peons gather land resources and build
Foots costs no wood and are cheap
Archers are the quick answer to things your current units cant do like defending a wall killing a few dragons to buy you time to get a better counter.
Ballistas are the siege unit they are a quick answer to battleships and towers before you get mages
knights and ogres are the strong melee units for mid game
Griffons are the air units that only can be addressed properly by mages if they are too many
Mages are the answer to almost everything but knights.
Sappers are the units to blow up terrain or walls.
Oil tankers are the workers of the sea
Transports the only way for you to move your ground units accross sea.
destroyers are anti air, anti transports and very fast water units.
Sub marines are invisible and a pretty good counter to an all in hall battleship army or a good answer to transports when combined with zeppelins because they will always hit their target even if it is fast.
battleships are the long range strong water units they are water domination units but they cannot address air.

Because of that in long hsc games you may see all units being used by all players, remove just one of these units and you have yourself a big handicap.

So even if I really like aoe, starcraft and war3 I would not argue that because they have more units they are more strategical.
They are just very different games overall with much more focus on micro managing your units and not as much your space. The worst being war3 on that matter.

Lone is right in that way.
Maps variety is indeed a good way to see how much space affects the game-play.

Another way to put it is:
Although Chess has more pawn types than Go, it is not more complex nor more strategical than go as a matter of fact it is way harder and more complex to create an AI for Go than chess. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:51:18 AM by Cel »

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »
So does anyone here play war3? I find sc2 so lonely, no one to team with and no real community atmosphere from what I notice. Would be funnier with ppl I know, sc2 and war3.

And what is this war3 reforged? Is it a whole new game/expansion or what?

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
Thanks for the input.

I find it really annoying that games like sc2 and war3 dont have fog of war/hidden minimap if that makes sense. Why does the game start with the entire map layed out and you can see everything other than the enemy. IMO that just brings too much knowledge and stuff into the match.

I like that in war2 you have to scout the map to reveal it, then you can see wood chops through the fog etcetc.

Sc2/war3 is just too robotic for my liking I think. You know exactly what the enemy strategy is going to be just by knowing his race which is lame.

Sure war2 graphics can't compete with those but man...This game is still playable and fun after 25 years.

Who's with me!?!?!!
I think hiding the terrain only makes sense if the map is randomly generated and nobody knows the terrain.  That makes exploration an actual part of the gameplay.  Otherwise, if you already know the map it doesn't really accomplish much except disadvantage noobs.

sc2 and war3 are pretty boring, rote games, and they've failed for that reason.  War2 rules, and brood war rules, because they don't have as many artificial bottlenecks on your economy and units, and you can get big and do what you want. 

That's why brood war still has an extremely big and competitive scene despite being 20 years old, with frequent big money tournaments.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 12:06:45 PM »
like this is on teamliquid which started as a bw clan, so perhaps this makes sense, but they attempted to pivot to sc2 when sc2 came out.  they were like, cool, our old game had lost some users but now that sc2 is here this is gonna be huge.

all the pro brood war gamers switched to sc2.  that was the new game with the big player pool and big sponsored tournaments.

it didnt take.  look at the count of the livestreamers, theyve all gone back to bw as have some of the old pros, who just didnt care for sc2

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 04:35:08 AM »
I'm tired of sc2. Is war3 still popular? Last time I played was when it came out and about for a 1 year. And there was only roc and tft. Anyone here play war3 or is it dead?

I bought a copy of WC3 the day it came out. Never been so disappointed in my life. IMO they tried to diabloify it for broader appeal as a blatant attempt to cash in. I thought it was garbage then and still do. I gave my copy away for free and went back to WC2.

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 10:26:34 AM »
Yes I agree with you. I was deeply disappointed when I first played wc3. Like I said, I hated the hero aspect, along with having to creep and collect items. I like sc2 more than wc3 due to it being more like wc2, you build an army and battle. Without all the other shenanigans

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 10:33:39 AM »
same..well u coulda used war3 to sit in war2 east and chat...so it did have benefits