Is chop dead

Yes
2 (28.6%)
No
3 (42.9%)
Yes but it can make a come back
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Is Chop Farms dead?  (Read 10229 times)

Offline MaStA{hR}

• Grunt
  • Hullo
    • View Profile
Re: Is Chop Farms dead?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »
I think something else to consider is that the map selection on war2 has become significantly simplified due to a small player base. For the last many years Gow + Chop and sometimes something like NWTR or HSC have been the dominant maps. Chop is great for many people but for some people it is off putting. Most chop players have like 5k-20k games played on that map at this point, making it difficult for someone like me to compete. If I have a neighbor, I lose like 90% of the time, making it less fun for me.

I've never given it an honest try either, but that's because I'm a lazy player. I'd rather not click on every peon to power chop for optimal gameplay, I'd rather not have super high APM to compete every game, and that's probably because of personal war2 fatigue. This is just me but I can only assume that at least some other people fall into this category too. It's not that chop is necessarily a bad map, because it's not, but the barrier to entry is high because the community is 'pretty good' to 'great' at that map. It's one of the primary reasons why I won't play. I'd probably be pretty good at it eventually and become like a tier 2 player at it, but I'm satisfied with Gow and customs like archers.
I love this game!

Offline maciek

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 09:35:40 AM »
I think something else to consider is that the map selection on war2 has become significantly simplified due to a small player base. For the last many years Gow + Chop and sometimes something like NWTR or HSC have been the dominant maps. Chop is great for many people but for some people it is off putting. Most chop players have like 5k-20k games played on that map at this point, making it difficult for someone like me to compete. If I have a neighbor, I lose like 90% of the time, making it less fun for me.

I've never given it an honest try either, but that's because I'm a lazy player. I'd rather not click on every peon to power chop for optimal gameplay, I'd rather not have super high APM to compete every game, and that's probably because of personal war2 fatigue. This is just me but I can only assume that at least some other people fall into this category too. It's not that chop is necessarily a bad map, because it's not, but the barrier to entry is high because the community is 'pretty good' to 'great' at that map. It's one of the primary reasons why I won't play. I'd probably be pretty good at it eventually and become like a tier 2 player at it, but I'm satisfied with Gow and customs like archers.
Except 80% of players after playing this one map for so long still have no idea what it's all about. For example choping out team mates, not taking gold and playing all in all the time which makes late game against them very easy. I managed to be top tier at chop after playing like 3 years chop when started playing war2 as a total beginner. All you need is to learn basic strats like 3 towers etc then you focus more on uc than controlling peons.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 07:10:35 AM »
Most chop players have like 5k-20k games played on that map at this point, making it difficult for someone like me to compete. If I have a neighbor, I lose like 90% of the time, making it less fun for me.

TBH this is exactly how I found gow.

Eveyone knows the map so well... all the spots, all the expos ... exactly where to build at all of them - even favorite hidden rax spots and the best spots for ot attacks etc. etc.. for someone trying to learn gow you just have to commit to being totally pwnt by everyone for like a hundred games before you can even hold you own enough to be useful.

Well that's how I found it anyway, albeit I suck.

I'd rather not click on every peon to power chop for optimal gameplay,

hehe yeah after a while you stop thinking about that.. for your initial setup you micro choppers depending on the strat, but later in game I just sort of automatically micro them to double-chop in-between doing other things. You really dont have to think about it, peons that aren't chopping properly just look wrong.

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 05:21:22 PM »
Looks like with ouinthelegend back and he is leading the charge!

Well Ch0ppy does that but in the mornings my time. That dude has the record for most games played on the server. 45,000. That is crazy. I remember wanting to hold the record when I was younger but I am so far behind now!

Offline MaStA{hR}

• Grunt
  • Hullo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 09:46:47 PM »
Xurnt, you could start playing that old 100% win map (similar to mini golf concept but open) where its the smallest 32x32 space and you do 2 vs 1 comp and record a win every 2 minutes and do it until you have thousands and thousands! That was how some of us would inflate stats back on east in the good ole days.

Lamb, I totally get it! Makes sense. But uh, when will you be on so we can try n get some archers games going!?!
I love this game!