Is chop dead

Yes
2 (28.6%)
No
3 (42.9%)
Yes but it can make a come back
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Is Chop Farms dead?  (Read 10221 times)

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
Is Chop Farms dead?
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:23:19 AM »
When I made my initial comeback to War2 in 2009 I initially played Chop farms then transitioned to Gow.
Nowadays I don’t see many Chop players hosting like they did 5 years ago. So this question is directed to Chop players, is chop dead?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:39:53 AM by ~ToRa~ »
war2 > war3

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Is Chop Farms dead?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »
Its always fun to join a chop game when its quiet and no ones playing gow, so I hope it doesn't die.

Offline Paper_Boy

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
It's pretty monotanus when they only play 1 map. The water variation I played of it was fun,
but they can't deal with variety

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:47:27 PM »
LMAO  ;D

A bunch of ef players giving their opinion about a map they don't play.

Get good at it, then you noobs can have an opinion about it ok?

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:30:25 PM »
i play it.. a lot.. the outcome of the game is pretty much always determined in the first 2 minutes in 4v4. 3v3 is over within .01 seconds if one team has no hops which is not uncommon.. I dont see many playing it 2v2, but in my opinion it would be a really good 1v1 map(which almost nobody does.. ever.)

its a really fun map and offers it's players unique challenges and the ability to refine techniques that you wouldn't typically use on other maps, but do serve a purpose on those same maps.

I haven't seen chop hosted a whole lot in the last month or so though.

It's my go-to "Stress free" map.. players typically aren't raging at eachother for being the weak link. The games go so quickly that even if it does happen everyone forgets by the start of the next game. It definitely has it's place in the war2 community imo

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 02:02:10 AM »
i play it.. a lot.. the outcome of the game is pretty much always determined in the first 2 minutes in 4v4.

Yeah I can see how it may appear that way bcause if you are next to an enemy facing, usually one of you will be dead within 2 minutes, but if you played more often you would see more happening. You may die straight up, but one of your pards may be killing an enemy, then take their spot and immediately have twice the space  then use that to kill a 2nd enemy etc.

One player getting on a roll will often win a 4v4 game, if there is one or two others at least holding out enough to cover their back.

But yes the early game stuff can be frustrating if you are facing much better opponents.

3v3 is over within .01 seconds if one team has no hops which is not uncommon..

Pros with no hops can and do beat opponents with hops all the time. There have even been a couple of players who deliberately don't take hops because they prefer launching from their single base build.

I dont see many playing it 2v2, but in my opinion it would be a really good 1v1 map(which almost nobody does.. ever.)

2v2 is very common. 1v1 is less common ... but almost nobody ever? no way. Personally I like 1s, my 1v1 game is a bit better than my team game.

its a really fun map and offers it's players unique challenges and the ability to refine techniques that you wouldn't typically use on other maps, but do serve a purpose on those same maps.

I haven't seen chop hosted a whole lot in the last month or so though.

IDK Maybe you're not on at the right time of day or something. I play chop every day, and I currently cant host, so someone does - often ch0ppy of course, also sale or ch0p and others... sometimes thumb$ when his router is working for hosting. DNA-Cell/overrated/str33tfight3r/ryan88/xBleedx/Ch0ppy2/Lambchips/Ch0pJr (all the one guy + 100 other akas) hosts sometimes too when he takes time out from attempting to develop a human personality.

It's my go-to "Stress free" map.. players typically aren't raging at eachother for being the weak link. The games go so quickly that even if it does happen everyone forgets by the start of the next game. It definitely has it's place in the war2 community imo

Sadly this is another sign that you don't really play that often, because theres a few assholes who definitely like to rage at their pards and blame them for their losses, although thankfully there is a bit less of this accross the server these days (yay!).

There are some really epic long chop games. Normally 10 - 20 minutes is common. There are some games that are over quickly if people get bad spots and lose to an early tower war ( same with gow etc ).

But the amount of gold available in the mines means that chop games can (and occasionally do) go for much longer than classic games ever could.

Personally I have been playing more gow than chop lately. I'm enjoying the challenge of learning something new, and occasionally scaring the crap out of players who have previously just assumed I am no threat simply because I don't have much experience playing that style of  map... but this doesn't mean I have stopped playing chop or that I like classic maps better than customs - because I definitely don't.

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 05:43:25 AM »
Sadly this is another sign that you don't really play that often, because theres a few assholes who definitely like to rage at their pards and blame them for their losses, although thankfully there is a bit less of this accross the server these days (yay!).

This might have something to do with the decline of Chop. The server overall is more open to returning players and people starting out now to let them into their games. Chop Farms use to be the only spot the newbies could get into games so they were developing new chop players. Now maybe not so much.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 07:08:36 AM »
Just played about 10 games of chop, including stopping midway to play 5 or 6 games of gow then going back to the chop game which was still going.

This might have something to do with the decline of Chop. The server overall is more open to returning players and people starting out now to let them into their games. Chop Farms use to be the only spot the newbies could get into games so they were developing new chop players. Now maybe not so much.

Yeah but most of the noobs we get in chop games are just smurfing gow players ;)

Offline Lone

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 09:04:48 AM »
Just played about 10 games of chop, including stopping midway to play 5 or 6 games of gow then going back to the chop game which was still going.

Yeah but most of the noobs we get in chop games are just smurfing gow players ;)

I guess next time I have to 1v2  you and strata on chop.

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 12:28:22 PM »
Chop's extremely imbalanced, was supposed to be a gimmick map but then people who blew on classic maps decided to just play it constantly.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
@Lambchops I've probably got over 500 chop games on this account alone... another 100-200 on other smurfs.. And ive played it before "farms" was even part of the equation.  I feel pretty comfortable with my understanding of the map. Victory (unless its 1v1) is much more heavily influenced by chance/luck on chop farms than any other map I can think of... but its still a fun map to play.. and seemed to be a good community for beginners to learn some of the fundamentals of warcraft2.

lets not try pretending the map is something its not

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 02:35:53 PM »
I feel like this is going to turn into one of smeagol's "paintball is much more complex than gow" threads.. and I'm kinda done with those types of arguments so assuming u will attempt to refute every claim i just made about chop farms again.. we can agree to disagree.

or we can see what szwag, alf, player, braviet, or 00Steve think about it (probably others I'm missing) who appear to be not only top gow players, but dominate in chop as well.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »
@Lambchops I've probably got over 500 chop games on this account alone... another 100-200 on other smurfs.. And ive played it before "farms" was even part of the equation.  I feel pretty comfortable with my understanding of the map. Victory (unless its 1v1) is much more heavily influenced by chance/luck on chop farms than any other map I can think of... but its still a fun map to play.. and seemed to be a good community for beginners to learn some of the fundamentals of warcraft2.

lets not try pretending the map is something its not

With the greatest of respect sir, I have played more ef/classic games than that and still happily admit I am a noob at that stuff.

Just because I have played many thousands of custom games over the years I don't go making claims about GOW as if having experience in another form the game makes me some kind of guru.

I'm not interested in any arguments with you, I was simply correcting your incorrect statements. Like this crap:

i play it.. a lot.. the outcome of the game is pretty much always determined in the first 2 minutes in 4v4. 3v3 is over within .01 seconds if one team has no hops which is not uncommon.. I dont see many playing it 2v2, but in my opinion it would be a really good 1v1 map(which almost nobody does.. ever.)

Lets try not pretending that YOU are something that you're not - as far as chop goes you're a fkn noob my friend ;)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
Nice troll thread BTW tora  :thumbsup: well done mate ;D

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
Nice troll thread BTW tora  :thumbsup: well done mate ;D
Wasn’t my intention. Was genuinely looking for the opinions of Chop players of the current state of chop farms.
Depending on the responses I was debating on playing and hosting a lot of chop for the next couple months.
war2 > war3