Author Topic: GOG.com  (Read 12481 times)

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
Re: GOG.com
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 10:27:49 AM »
100% correct i remember seeing war2 bnet chest at sam's club ..it wasnt even in the little wal mart we had back then...came back to get it couple of months it was pulled from the shelf.

meanwhile got sc1/bw from wally in 2007.

sure i got dos war2 from wal mart, it was marketed better...whats the percentage of online people then ..56k was high as hell and isps wasn't even local alot of places.

so A) it can still do good as its not "complicated" everyone can pretty much atleast play war2 and know the basics. B) it was marketed like shit in bnet as it was already treated obsolete.

c) all u top players stay out of there, just let it gather new people :D

yup its the #1 google for wacraft 2 ..

well what do u know diablo is the best seller for gog right now...

:o got that little gem called "conflict desert storm" also :o 2 players it cant be beat.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:23:06 AM by easycompany »

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
all u top players stay out of there, just let it gather new people

The day it comes out I will recommend everyone make their names and whatever smurf names they plan to use. After which I do agree with easycompany. We probably should wait a couple months before making a full migration.
war2 > war3

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »
well idk had a good buzz rollin kinda scared now... the rts genre isnt as strong in competition as say fps, so maybe it wont get snuffed out.

there's really no use moving there,i say ru ranking system is going to be better.

if gog war2 even has one,they arent using bnet,so they will be connecting thru the lan way like kali idk

which blizzard may use kali again :o
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:22:44 PM by easycompany »

Offline WarKid

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
Any idea/guess about the release date of War2 GOG?? :-\

Offline Incos

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »
I don’t like the wording of Ipx and all that shit. Worries me a little- let’s just keep raiding the channels and tell them to come here instead?
https://www.twitch.tv/incoswc - my twitch. Streaming 9:30pm - 11pm est most days!!

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 05:21:42 PM »
what worries you about ipx?

Offline Incos

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »
Just going back to kali ish days not sure if new playerbadr would even grasp that.
https://www.twitch.tv/incoswc - my twitch. Streaming 9:30pm - 11pm est most days!!

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 03:55:01 AM »
Looked into GOG diablo yesterday:
Looks fine for me:
1. it's free of protections: just download and play.
2. data archives are still mpq. And they are still compatible with war2 mpq archives: unpacked with the same tool.
3. it's pvpgn-compatible. It didn't connect to our server (most likely i removed something important from config), but it connects to new clean pvpgn. So, we can use our server for gog diablo after simple reconfiguration.
4. I also looked into a binary code with debugger: it looks quite similar to other old blizzard projects, like war2. At least no any strong protections against debugging or w/e.

I don't play diablo at all and never did, but the main reason i try it - is to look how GOG works with things.
So, my predict for GOG-war2 is optimistic: it should work fine, with our server. It should also be compatible with some resource modifications.

I also don't know if it will 100% compatible with current war2 on network playing (i mean, to play in one game with current war2bne and GOG-war2), most likely no, but that's not a big deal at all.
Anybody tried starcraft 1 and starcraft 1 remastered? Are they compatible with each other to play the same game? Or to use old pvpgn-servers?
I hope they will follow the same way with war2.

Of course, all our utilities will not be compatible with new war2 (i mean war2insight, warvideo, war2observe, anything else, we have to eighter rewrite them (or maybe new war2 will include such functionality by default, but i hope we will be able to just migrate from current version to gog as soon as they release it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:58:17 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 05:43:17 AM »
 I have no GOG Diablo now, but as I understand they didn't change *.exe. So GOG game should be fully compatible with the original.

Starcraft remastered has higher version than original, so they are incompatible starting from version checking.

Also, I believe that most of available utilities will work with GOG Warcraft 2 too.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 06:53:03 AM »
I have no GOG Diablo now, but as I understand they didn't change *.exe. So GOG game should be fully compatible with the original.
Oh!
You absolutely right! I just downloaded original Diablo 1.09 and compared the .exe. Files are idenctical, expect the GOG certificate at the end of file.
I've been 100% sure they rebuilt the exe as soon as they act together with blizzard and so they should have the source code.
So, everything is even better with our projects.

Also a question is: how they changed game fps/resolution to high without touching the .exe? Just replacing some dlls?
So, can we do the same for war2?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:46:51 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 07:39:04 AM »
Yes, they can modify video mode by ddraw. You can try to reuse the one from Diablo (not sure if everything will work, but why not).

Higher FPS does not mean that your animation will be smoother. It related to game engine, if game can update picture with high FPS, it makes sense. But if your game engine update picture ~20 and lower FPS, 60 FPS from videosystem will change nothing.

Also I'm not sure that they even have source code and permissions to modify binaries (maybe even resource files, not sure). GOG usually just adds some extra utilities to run game under modern systems: ddraw, DosBox, etc. No noticeable modifications, rarely maybe only well-known amateur patches .

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 07:48:32 AM »
I have got SC :R  and i coudnt add  getways
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 07:51:30 AM »
SC: R has totally new network code. It based on modern BNET and is not compatible will old BNET/PVPGN and so on.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 08:43:49 AM »
Unpacked mpq from orig Diablo 109 and GOG Diablo 109: GOG's mpq is much less size: wav files are smaller. So, GOG became even worse quality than original?
Or i found non-original build, not sure.

Anyway, looks like GOG's project is not fully remastered, not more than combat: all they do is just write or find some kind of working ddraw wrapper and maybe a bnet2gog wrapper, i still didn't look into the option of the gog-server instead of bnet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:14:38 AM by iL »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
Also I'm not sure that they even have source code and permissions to modify binaries (maybe even resource files, not sure). GOG usually just adds some extra utilities to run game under modern systems: ddraw, DosBox, etc. No noticeable modifications, rarely maybe only well-known amateur patches .
Yes, looks like Blizzard partnership is not so big as i thought,
Maybe the only "help" from Blizzard is they will allow GOG to release their game. And that costs much money for GOG...

Yes, they can modify video mode by ddraw. You can try to reuse the one from Diablo (not sure if everything will work, but why not).

Higher FPS does not mean that your animation will be smoother. It related to game engine, if game can update picture with high FPS, it makes sense. But if your game engine update picture ~20 and lower FPS, 60 FPS from videosystem will change nothing.
Yes, looks like we can get better fps and resolution as community asked, but it's absolulely useless for us: we just loose sharpness (because of pixel scaling to non-native resolution). We will see the same low-res image resized to new high resolution and we will have the same 20 fps wrapped into 60+fps allowed by that dll...

Anyway, that would be interesting to look into GOG things implemented into diablo/war2.
They made something interesting with bnet connection to change it to their own protocol or w/e.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:14:04 AM by iL »