Author Topic: GOG.com  (Read 12479 times)

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: GOG.com
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »
Maybe the only "help" from Blizzard is they will allow GOG to release their game. And that costs much money for GOG...
I think: yes. And everybody happy.

There can be two reasons:
1. More likely, but pessimistic. Blizzard decided not to remake War1/War2/Diablo1 at all. And they just gave existing version to GOG to make some money without any work.
2. Optimistic. They understood fail with Diablo1 remaster expectation and Diablo Immortal fail and decided to:
a) Dismiss "smart manager". Done.
b) Release War1/War2/Diablo1 in GOG, starting from Diablo1. Almost done
c) Announce some of these games remasters according to GOG campaign results.

They made something interesting with bnet connection to change it to their own protocol or w/e.
Don't think they have modified storm.dll too.

Offline WarKid

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
I think GOG is not allowed to make core changes in the game, they just adds some external features to play in new Windows versions and so on. But the game remain the same. For instance, in some versions of their games, the just use DOSBox to run them... on modern systems, and as you know, something so simple can be done by anyone by just reading some internet guides!

By saying this, i mean the surely wont change the way the game is presented/packed, with mpq files, etc. Every tool we have to explore War2 will mostly work! ^-^ And thats why i think it'd be possible to make a War2Combat version, from the upcoming War2GOG files, and even a better version using a mix of the better files from each version, taking advantege of quality audio and movie, etc.

I also tried the Diablo 1.09 ddraw with War2Combat and wrote about in other thread (i copy below):

The Diablo (GOG) ddraw worked with War2Combat!! You even can configure the resolution with a little tool included in the Diablo folder.

All i did was copy from the folder \Diablo\dx the following files:

ddraw.dll
dxcfg.exe
dxcfg.ini

With dxcfg.exe you can change resolution and other things, War2 work with no lag, is cool!!!

It also worked in "Windows Mode" too with that ddraw :D

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
And thats why i think it'd be possible to make a War2Combat version, from the upcoming War2GOG files, and even a better version using a mix of the better files from each version, taking advantege of quality audio and movie, etc.
Sure, that is the plan i'm looking into with this diablo version!
The Diablo (GOG) ddraw worked with War2Combat!! You even can configure the resolution with a little tool included in the Diablo folder.

All i did was copy from the folder \Diablo\dx the following files:

ddraw.dll
dxcfg.exe
dxcfg.ini

With dxcfg.exe you can change resolution and other things, War2 work with no lag, is cool!!!

It also worked in "Windows Mode" too with that ddraw :D
Just checked.
Sad, but it doesn't work as required:

Their launcher has 2 graphics options:
1. hi-res, but not BNET
2. BNET, but orig SVGA
I tried to start war2 with hi-res and i understand why they made such options:
Hi-res version doesn't support bnet dialogs at all.

That would be a perfect beautiful ddraw.dll with dxcfg.ini if it would support BNET dialogs...
They also have selectable option for video playback size. No idea how they made that...

Another interesting option is network wrapper. Looks like we can try to do the same and reach some interesting effects...
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 05:42:50 PM »
nice!,im gonna mess with dosbox and 1.3 ..im just dying to test out some phones and cheap android "netbooks"

i almost see blizzard messing with gog ..for more as a blizz aquired steam if it does well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:53:03 PM by easycompany »

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 03:18:52 AM »
Their warcraft 2 release will probably be the same as the diablo release, no changes to the game and 1/2 ddraw dlls, so we can't really expect any improvements over what we have (our ddraws are better than the gog ones). However, it will be a nice promotion for the game, the diablo intro video they uploaded got 120.000 views in just a few days.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 03:46:03 AM »
Their warcraft 2 release will probably be the same as the diablo release, no changes to the game and 1/2 ddraw dlls, so we can't really expect any improvements over what we have (our ddraws are better than the gog ones). However, it will be a nice promotion for the game, the diablo intro video they uploaded got 120.000 views in just a few days.
Yes, exactly! I'm 99% sure they will keep the exe-file untouched, use the same dlls as for diablo (or very similar), so our project is much better.

Also, i don't think Blizzard will do something against us and war2.ru after such "Release". I think nobody cares.
At the same time, i agree that maybe will help with the game promotion a little.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 12:03:04 PM »
will they have a GOG bnet server? Is that what they're doing with Diablo?

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »
will they have a GOG bnet server? Is that what they're doing with Diablo?
Yes, their bnet server looks like pvpgn, to join for Diablo.
And i think they will use something like that server for war2 also

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »
So we could all add the GOG gateway to our current war2 and see if they have anyone playing

Offline WarKid

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
So we could all add the GOG gateway to our current war2 and see if they have anyone playing

Haha that would be great!!