Author Topic: initial thoughts about GOG...  (Read 8087 times)

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
initial thoughts about GOG...
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:12:19 PM »
reminds me of the time we tried switching to that zone-like server.

more trouble than what  its worth.

Unless the staff starts making some serious changes to update and improve the existing client this will go nowhere

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: initial thoughts about GOG...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:19:02 PM »
even if iL gets all of the issues resolved and included in the new 4.4 client (IMPORTANT TO NOTE YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE FULL VERSION, NOT LITE VERSION) .. all of the GOG users on the GOG client will still be having all of the same issues.

worth also noting iL is doing an amazing job.. but it's only really benefiting the .ru users. we need the GOG staff to be handling these same issues.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 12:01:31 AM »
I actually don't think gog will make some serious improvements. I'll not wonder if they think their job is already finished with war2.
Their main task is to make new old games every week, war2 is just "another old game" for them.
They released diablo several weeks ago and they don't care.
They released war1 and war2 in one day.

As i see our plans for future: need to make that server at least partially usable, to let us come there, play with newbies.
Next step - gog newies know about war2.ru and combat.
Next step - gog newbies will change gog to combat as it's better than gog client even now. And i hope to make several more improvements...
And next step - they just join war2.ru instead of gog server. Something like that.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 12:50:35 AM »
I wasted at least 2 hours trying to get into gog and to actually play, at the end of my 2 hours not only did I NOT play because of latency issues apparently, but I also think I got scammed out of $13 CAD. Why mess with a good thing like ru? Imo I say keep playing on ru, and if anybody really wants to grow a 25 year old game then go ahead with more advertising etc. But don't rely on gog(which literally no one has heard of before).

If gog was really serious about releasing war2 again. I sure would hope they did a better job of it. The whole experience was off putting and completely avoidable. I mean test the fucking server before releasing it. Tons of bugs and shit, people not being able to join or create games.

That's my 2 cents

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 12:56:51 AM »
Like bara said I wasted a lot of time tonight to try and make war2 work for me on the gog.com server. Just not working for me for whatever reason.
war2 > war3

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 01:55:42 AM »
I just got it and had no issues at all logging on and getting a game.  I just CRUSHED some guy.

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 05:37:38 AM »
I don't think any of the pro players would want to come to it, but maybe ya a good breeding ground for newbies to play with each other until they are ready to get CRUSHED!

Offline Incos

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »
I made a thread, any input would be appreciated.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_are_you_patching_this_warcraft_2

IL is an honorable mention in here

Jist of it is a piss rant and a fix, maybe hoping GoG would at least acknowledge (from what I understand they haven’t said anything about the botched release)

Like tora and bara not even able to get in(not sure if maybe your provider could be locking you out)

https://www.twitch.tv/incoswc - my twitch. Streaming 9:30pm - 11pm est most days!!

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
my opinion: there has been ZERO shred of evidence that the GOG support staff cares at all about the server/client. have not seen one admin log on, which is surprising because it was their release date. it tells me they're just trying to get $10 from a couple hundred opinion.

I really think we should get some advertising bots in there. I highly doubt 1)gog will ever even find out, and 2) care if they do find out. they already got their $ from the people.

if we don't work on getting those users over to .ru quickly we are missing out on a huge opportunity.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
Posted a request to add 2.0.2.0 of their forums: https://www.gog.com/forum/warcraft_ii_battlenet_edition/please_unblock_another_202_patch_for_war2_bne_on_your_bnetserver

Not a big deal for them, but what if they will do that?
At least it's nothing for us to try.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »
At this point it seems like a money grab. I mean who releases a game and has no mods or bots or even any response to all the issues and questions. They made there couple thousand

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »
I think GoG's main goal is just old game. Designed most likely for people who even didn't know war2 had multiplayer or w/e.
Nice to know it has multiplayer also.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 01:16:29 PM »
I just got it and had no issues at all logging on and getting a game.  I just CRUSHED some guy.
i had some fun games :D  seems some people need to learn how to use a computer instead of being a grandma  :D

but until some kinda punch is made,maybe get anotehr router they arent all the same.

but if you  can play on ru,idk  know, i couldnt host at first then i just set my router again then i could.

yeah, im not seeing it, nothing but people that probably never knew war2 was a multiplayer game.

well hosting some games for new people and did tora ever get fixed thats what it needs is some host.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:49:50 PM by easycompany »

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »
I guess with such a shitty release for gog, I've come to appreciate how much ru is actually cared for by people who love the game itself and actually know how to make the experience better. Thanks everyone at ru! Hip hop
HOORAY

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »
I guess with such a shitty release for gog, I've come to appreciate how much ru is actually cared for by people who love the game itself and actually know how to make the experience better. Thanks everyone at ru! Hip hop
HOORAY

🤙
war2 > war3