Author Topic: Why to download War2Combat  (Read 2555 times)

Online iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Why to download War2Combat
« on: April 08, 2019, 05:27:37 PM »
Warcraft II: Combat Edition, aka War2Combat, is not just one of many builds for popular Blizzard games.
This is a project that has been developing over the past 15 years, being in fact the standard of modern Warcraft II for the entire active global community of online Warcraft II players.

Over these 15 years, all the finest mechanisms of working on modern computers under all possible operating systems have been debugged:
    Combat have been tested for all Windows since XP to lastest updates of Windows 10 / Windows 2019, also Linux OS (under wine) is tested and working fine. It includes several new features & bug fixes designed to improve the multiplayer gaming experience.
    Some annoying mistakes of the original game were caught and corrected.
    War2Combat is NOT any kind of warez / pirate software. It handles the CD-keys the same way as “official” Warcraft II from GOG. It will work with GOG server only if you have legal official GOG or Blizzard CD-key.
    Several useful additional programs have been developed: for recording your games, assessing your APM, and for more comfortable spectator / observer mode.
    To fix the graphics, the problems that started with the release of Windows Vista, all available options were tried. Although each of them somehow corrected the graphics, each had certain problems in Warcraft 2.

As a result, the most talented programmers were recruited, specializing precisely in the nuances of graphics in old and new Windows, and after numerous tests, they jointly refined the graphics to the desired perfect result.
    This result continues to be actively used by the community, therefore any slightest problems are immediately identified and promptly corrected.
    Another common problem of Warcraft II is the inability to create a game so that other players can connect to it. This is an architectural problem of the original game.
    We have done a lot of work to circumvent these problems. There is no such fix in any other existing release.

Although Warcraft II Combat was originally developed as a project for multiplayer – it also worked out the details of a single player game to the smallest detail:

Improved computer intelligence added, literally tearing anyone, even the most experienced players. However, this option is also great for playing together against computers
    All original video clips, music, sounds & campaigns are fully preserved. However, from this side Combat is hardly different from other assemblies, which in the same way took the original game resources
    The entire original gameplay has been fully preserved: “strange” obstacle avoidance algorithms (pathfinding), tree-chopping, the so-called tower bug, multicast, which could be called errors, have long become features of the gameplay, and therefore are left unchanged.

The most important feature of War2Combat is that the project is being developed with love for the game, by people who actively play it for people who also love war2 and have been playing it for more than 20 years – from the very first days!
And all these people were engaged in and continue to do it for free, in order that everyone could play the best warcraft 2!

That is my new description about combat, posted on en.war2.ru site. For newbies (from GOG or w/e) who just joined and don't know what is it.
What do you think about that?
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Online iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Why to download War2Combat
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »
Also updated the main page: http://en.war2.ru/

1 big button to download war2combat on the main page.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 07:05:25 PM »
It's an improvement but the survey isnt necessary.  Also,  you placed the download button on the wrong page,  it should go at the top of the "Downloads" page rather than on the front page.  The front page was ok the way it was.  All you need on the front page is either a link to the Downloads section (which I believe was already there) or a small button in the top left or right corner that says "Download Now".  It should actually do what it says and not popup a window asking the user a question.  You'll lose potential players by making them jump through survey hoops.  If you want a survey,  have it pop up after the download completes,  not before.  It will also have a little better accuracy as well since it means the person actually has the file.  It would be even better to have the survey in the installer itself (at the very end).  That would mean the person actually installed the thing and I think those players survey results would be far more useful.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:10:02 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:01 AM »
Looks good, thx

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »
gog has war1&war2 on facebook ad .....the ru version is  what all users are getting.

Online iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 04:17:18 AM »
It's an improvement but the survey isnt necessary.  Also,  you placed the download button on the wrong page,  it should go at the top of the "Downloads" page rather than on the front page.  The front page was ok the way it was.  All you need on the front page is either a link to the Downloads section (which I believe was already there) or a small button in the top left or right corner that says "Download Now".  It should actually do what it says and not popup a window asking the user a question.  You'll lose potential players by making them jump through survey hoops.  If you want a survey,  have it pop up after the download completes,  not before.  It will also have a little better accuracy as well since it means the person actually has the file.  It would be even better to have the survey in the installer itself (at the very end).  That would mean the person actually installed the thing and I think those players survey results would be far more useful.
You absolutely right about the survey. I just restored previously implemented engine. Now i removed it. Will think about the survey after the game or w/e, not so easy task to make it right now.
About "download" button: i got an idea from official teamviewer site: simple description and big "download" button on the main page. Also a link to full description page. Also a link to more versions.
Maybe need to reorganize the download list, need to think about that. Still not sure anybody needs that at all...

gog has war1&war2 on facebook ad .....the ru version is  what all users are getting.
BTW: ru also has it's war1 version. Same principal as in gog: dosbox with internal ipx2tcp wrapper, possible to play via network. Here's it: ftp://ftp.war2.ru/war2/warcraft1.rar
I don't see any reasons to continue promotion for this build, but maybe that makes some sense?..