Author Topic: Should I buy/play Gog?  (Read 6001 times)

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Should I buy/play Gog?
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:09:49 AM »
Hello there, looks like in some days I will move to a place where I will have good internet and a table  :) :) , it means soon I will have a little bit of time to play war 2. I was reading here and looking at what was happening last weeks with war 2 so my question is:
Is there any sense to buy gog? Are there players on their server or all our guys are still playing on the and i can stay calm here. Thx.
If you recommend to buy Gog can anyone send me some links with how to install it and how to solve all the porting, graphics, connection problems.
Thx, hope to see you soon guys.
Ilyich come back!!!!
Kagan, you know who you are!!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:12:15 AM by Tolean »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy/play Gog?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:54:21 AM »
You can download last Combat 4.4 (use big "Download" button from en.war2.ru main page). It's 100% compatible with GOG server and includes all the porting/graphics/connection patches.
The only reason to buy GOG - if you don't have a CD-key to play on the server. (You can use any CD-key for GOG-playing if you have one).
Gog's cd-key changer is included into combat also.

I don't know any reasons to play gog instead of combat: graphics (ddraw) is worse in GOG, porting/connection is worse in GOG, bugs resolved in combat are not resolved in GOG.

If you'll buy GOG, please, try it and let me know any advantages in GOG comparing with Combat.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:10:40 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:55:50 AM »
Thx, looks like I will not buy it then. If there would be more ppl online or smth, but if everything is worse  and our community is still here, I will be here too. But maybe if any answers  here will make me change my mind I will buy it.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 06:43:50 AM »
no. I bought it. never use. horrible support. bad client. few users. no games.

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:33:02 AM »
Thx, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »
no. I bought it. never use. horrible support. bad client. few users. no games.
war2 > war3

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »
Thx, looks like I will not buy it then. If there would be more ppl online or smth, but if everything is worse  and our community is still here, I will be here too. But maybe if any answers  here will make me change my mind I will buy it.
Well, 1 more reason to buy GOG: if you need their support.
I posted the request to allow 2.0.2.0 client for their server (to let it be compatible with war2insight, warvideo, warlatency), but they answered i didn't buy war2gog so they won't reply my request.
So, i have to update these utils to make it compatible with gog aka 2.0.2.1...
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »
I thought you did buy GOG

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
Why you didn't buy it? If you need a key or smth I can buy one for you if you need it to improve our server. Let me know if smth.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »
Oh maybe he didn't because he already bought War2 from Blizzard, and the cd-key is accepted by Gog

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 10:50:25 AM »
Why should i buy gog war2? I don't see a reason to waste $10 or w/e for gog. I tested gog diablo before, looked like something not deserves $10.
And yes, i already have several working valid cd-keys, that are accepted by gog also...

The problem is i can't ask support (though they don't plan to make some server updates anyway).
And another problem is i can't receive gog updates. Not sure that's really important problem for me...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:08:11 AM by iL »

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
Aha, ok. Then I will not buy it at all, looks like they don't really care about online playing. Hopefully the attention from them for war2 will give us some more players.

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 12:28:11 PM »
If people start buying a game again every time it needs an update the game industry is kinda hopeless.

It may be a different company but activision clearly wants to milk people without the responsibility that is why they accepted the deal from gog.
They stopped selling the game because it is broken and they dont want to fix it but they still want your money.
Gog gave them an opportunity to get your money for the game without having to fix much since most fixes are documented and already done by fans anyways.

And of course gog want you to buy the game from them even if you already have it they don't care if you already bought it, a scam is a scam...

Now how long before steam starts to do the same thing and fix that or that other problem and require you to buy the full game once again as well?
And maybe itch.io someday ? Origin?

This is capitalism if you start buying things that you should not buy you are sending a message that it is ok to sell these things and before you know it you will have to pay for every single updates for every single game you own to just keep them working.

That is where people should draw lines on what practice is ok and what is not.

If blizzard or GoG made a full remaster of the game including HD textures widescreen support, team/solo matchmaking queues and updated battle.net interface as well as fixing the old game just like they are doing for warcraft 3 reforged.

Then yes that would be something else, but here it is very different and that should be seen for what it is: a scam...

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »
sad story...

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
If people start buying a game again every time it needs an update the game industry is kinda hopeless.

It may be a different company but activision clearly wants to milk people without the responsibility that is why they accepted the deal from gog.
They stopped selling the game because it is broken and they dont want to fix it but they still want your money.
Gog gave them an opportunity to get your money for the game without having to fix much since most fixes are documented and already done by fans anyways.

And of course gog want you to buy the game from them even if you already have it they don't care if you already bought it, a scam is a scam...

Now how long before steam starts to do the same thing and fix that or that other problem and require you to buy the full game once again as well?
And maybe itch.io someday ? Origin?

This is capitalism if you start buying things that you should not buy you are sending a message that it is ok to sell these things and before you know it you will have to pay for every single updates for every single game you own to just keep them working.

That is where people should draw lines on what practice is ok and what is not.

If blizzard or GoG made a full remaster of the game including HD textures widescreen support, team/solo matchmaking queues and updated battle.net interface as well as fixing the old game just like they are doing for warcraft 3 reforged.

Then yes that would be something else, but here it is very different and that should be seen for what it is: a scam...

No, most ppl didnt even know warcraft1/warcraft2 work with windows 8/10, if there will be option add warcraft 2 like sc/w3 and download if u got orgianal key they wouldnt release it
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience