Author Topic: Coming soon :)  (Read 12094 times)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Coming soon :)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 08:52:59 AM »
  Well here's a proof of concept for the life bars thing. Still a lot of kinks to iron out, but it should work ok I think:

So how should this be handled? I'm thinking magic / chopping display should only be for your own units, but life should be visible for any unit in visual range... or should this be handled some other way?

Thoughts?

-- edit --

and how about training complete % bars for rax etc? gold left in mines? upgrade progress for smith/mill/foundary/altar etc?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:24:39 AM by Lambchops »
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 10:46:59 AM »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »
  Well here's a proof of concept for the life bars thing. Still a lot of kinks to iron out, but it should work ok I think:

So how should this be handled? I'm thinking magic / chopping display should only be for your own units, but life should be visible for any unit in visual range... or should this be handled some other way?

Thoughts?

-- edit --

and how about training complete % bars for rax etc? gold left in mines? upgrade progress for smith/mill/foundary/altar etc?

I'd say that would be great to observe mode, but looks like cheat in usual game.

At the same time, maybe there's not a big problem to make such improvements like that? Same as warlatency was a big disputable thing for years. And now it's the part of gameplay.
Maybe we can add such small improvements to war2 gameplay, like ingame timer, such health/magic bars, building/training queues, etc?
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 06:23:31 AM »
I'd say that would be great to observe mode, but looks like cheat in usual game.

At the same time, maybe there's not a big problem to make such improvements like that? Same as warlatency was a big disputable thing for years. And now it's the part of gameplay.
Maybe we can add such small improvements to war2 gameplay, like ingame timer, such health/magic bars, building/training queues, etc?

Thanks for your feedback :)

I thought on-screen stat-bars would be ok because its not giving away any new information that the player doesn't already have access to, its just presenting the same info in a more accessable format.

Building/Training queues would be an entirely new element that would definately change the game, so I'm not personally in favor of that unless there is a clear majority of players who want it.

There's a fine line between improving the game and changing it, which is why I want people's opinions on these things.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
click a building and the units icons little appear for that building ..kinda like ps1 war2

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 04:06:16 PM »
I thought on-screen stat-bars would be ok because its not giving away any new information that the player doesn't already have access to, its just presenting the same info in a more accessable format.
To check unit health you have to click on that unit, then look into it's icon, that requires some more apm to do that.

I remember many moments when almost dead orge killed several peons, but 1 hit from peon would kill that orge. Player just didn't check orge's health.

So i'd consider such stat-bars would be a game modification, not just small improvement. At the same i don't protest against such modification, maybe that will be useful for the game and it's community. Maybe need to ask more experienced players, i'm newb in war2...
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 04:45:54 AM »
Also please note that any of Blizzard RTS games has no possibility to see healthbar of not selected unit.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 06:05:05 AM »
Also please note that any of Blizzard RTS games has no possibility to see healthbar of not selected unit.

Did you ever play warcraft3?
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:26 AM »

Did you ever play warcraft3?

OK. My fault. Lets say no healthbar "by default". :)

Spoiler
PS And as I remember this this feature came to War3 with some patch and was absent first couple of years, am I right?

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 08:14:39 AM »
Yes, I dont remember which one, but I think it was 1.21 something, I think Before they add it it worked if u use alt

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 10:32:03 AM »
              Warcraft II Plugin Interface

( including demo plugins )

This will install a small file called "LC.dll" and make a few modifications to Warcraft II BNE.exe that link it.

A "plugins" folder will be created in the wc2 folder. Plugins can be placed in this folder will be automatically loaded when you run wc2.

This will allow a variety of mods to be easilly installed/uninstalled by users.

If there is nothing in the "plugins" folder, there is no change to how the game functions.

-------------

For developers:
Spoiler
A plugin is simply a dll file that has the extension changed to "w2p".
There are currently only 3 hook points, although I may add more in the future if there is a demand.

The hook points can be accessed by exporting appropriately named functions from a plugin dll.

w2p_init has no arguments and is called when the exe is first started.

create_game will be passed a pointer to the game name and called when the player creates a game.

join_game will be passed a pointer to the game name and called when the player joins a game.

screen_update will be passed a value that describes the current game screen and will be called immediately before each screen update.

... so to make a simple plugin all you need to do is make a dll file that exports one function called "w2p_init" that takes no agruments, then rename it to "MyPlugin.w2p" or whatever and put it into the "plugins" folder. Your plugin will then be injected into the WC2 process when you next run it.

I will try to do some examples later when time allows.

---------

There are 4 example plugins included. If you don't want any of them, you can disable/enable them individually just by moving them in or out of the plugins folder (of course exit WC2 first then restart).

----------

The "Lobby Map" plugin

The "lobby map" Plugin gives you a preview of the map in the pre-game lobby.

-----------------

The "Game Time" plugin

The "Game Time" plugin just adds a small game timer to the in game screen.

--------------

The "Chop Bars" plugin

The "Chop Bars" plugin gives you an on-screen progress bar for chopping peons that you own and are selected.

------------

The "Allied Colors" plugin

The "Allied Colors" plugin give you the option of displaying all allies in blue and all enemies in red on the mini-map.
Press F2 to toggle this on/off. It is off by default.

----------------------

To install download THIS zip file and copy/replace its contents into a combat43 installation.

----------------------

This is still in development, but appears to be working and stable for me .... please test! :)

Note: The plugin framework currently only supports BNE 2.02 (Combat Edition 4.3), it does not support CE 4.4 or the GOG version. If there is a demand it can be ported at a later date.

:critter:

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »
chop bars  shouldnt be allowed

cause people will move peons with less hits, since they dont know they move from gold mine

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »

cause people will move peons with less hits, since they dont know they move from gold mine

Kind of the point.

Sometimes you can't pull from gold without warlat... these things are improvements.

I did make it so the peons have to be selected, due to concerns raised on this thread, and I did ask for suggestions specifically about this earlier, why wait until now to say something?

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 01:03:45 AM »

Kind of the point.

Sometimes you can't pull from gold without warlat... these things are improvements.

I did make it so the peons have to be selected, due to concerns raised on this thread, and I did ask for suggestions specifically about this earlier, why wait until now to say something?

I didnt see it,

You cant pull peons cause someone is laging, and i suggest play ef

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »

I'd say chop bars looks even more cheating than health bars:
there was no legal way to know how long time peon chopped his tree except to look at him. And now you can just click and see.
I don't mean that's bad, that's just changes the gameplay a bit.

You already released is though, so, looks like we should add it into all versions to make it be balanced for everybody.
Maybe that is a good time to make some fresh live for war2.
Why not to add something new? Let's do it.