Author Topic: Baras list of things that need to happen  (Read 1911 times)

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Baras list of things that need to happen
« on: July 04, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »
These are my thoughts in no specific order on things that i think will improve the war2 experience.

~Fix built in ladder/ironman system.
I think everyone enjoyed this back in the day when it first came out (99/00). It adds a competitive feel back into the game. I recommend having Seasons as they used to(few months long each). Along with having a small prize or certificate or anything really to commemorate your victory. And an actual person/people to moderate it which is a big deal. In the beginning Bnet did a good job of finding and deleting abusers' stats and keeping things legit. Now obviously they stopped after 1 or 2 years and things went downhill. Personally i enjoy the game more when im actually playing competitive games with good players as opposed to just newb stomping random 3v3 or 4v4s. Also i recommend ironman and ladder speed to be interchangeable from F to EF, amd include all bne/classic maps instead of just the 15 maps or so they orignally offer.  I know people will say "but we already have a ladder". But because it isnt right there for people to see with a click of a tab in-game i think it loses its aura of being an important ladder. Not to mention people arent being demoted when inactive. (IMO due to no mod). I also find it annoying that every players profile stats date back to 2014. I think this kind of ladder system upgrade will also be good for newbs and lesser skilled players. They may be ranked out of the top 100 in a season but move up in the following seasons, thus be more motivated to keep playing and improving which is vital in keeping war2 alive.

~Tournaments
Burnt and co did a good job of this in the past. My suggestion is to continue making tournaments on various maps/settings (1x a month?) Possibly to make it include top 10 or so from each ladder season as posted above. Thus having more incentive to use the ladder/ironman built in.

~Watcher slots
Ive pondered this for awhile. I like how sc2 and w3 had watcher slots that didnt interfere with the match in any way. This would be good if we can make it so the watchers dont take up a goldmine on the map and are only able to watch the match and talk to other watchers. This allows newbs to watch the good guys play, and takes the risk away of them building and ruining a match.

~Fix hosting
This has apparently already been fixed but not yet integrated? This will go a long way to keep players coming back and interested if they can actually join and host games with 0 issues.

~Anti-hack
First off, i didnt even know this was a thing on this server until i read it in another thread. If this can be implemented to ALL players that would also keep competition legit and more enjoyable (not even sure if there are working hacks these days anyway)

~Include more utilities
Someone made some new utilities to help improve the game, which included chop counter, game time clock, map display before match etc. I think these are good things to have, or at least try.

~ Have 1 downloadable version
I recommend having all these utilities and options in 1 downloadable version. The current download page is a cluster of a bunch of different versions etc. We need 1 version that way no one can cry cheat if 1 person has AH and chop counter activated and others do not etc. And instead of deleted old version each time and dling new one. Have an automatic update when one tries to log in to make sure everyone who currently plays is up to par every eachother.

I had more ideas/thoughts but forgot them at this moment.
I will edit this original post if i remember them.

I have no technical background and am not computer smart at all. Theae are just ideas and recommendations i think will improve ours and newbs experience. This will obviously take those who are smart and capable in this capacity to get this stuff done.

These are my thoughts on improving this game. Please comment on my thoughts or feel free to add your own ideas as well.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:12:03 PM by baRa »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Baras list of things that need to happen
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 10:16:07 AM »
baRa, thanks for your ideas, everything looks reasonable!

The main problem is time, though now we have a good team who can make many of that together!

I'm going to release new combat soon,
some other people can help with some other projects.

only 1 question about your ideas:
~ Have 1 downloadable version
I recommend having all these utilities and options in 1 downloadable version. The current download page is a cluster of a bunch of different versions etc. We need 1 version that way no one can cry cheat if 1 person has AH and chop counter activated and others do not etc. And instead of deleted old version each time and dling new one. Have an automatic update when one tries to log in to make sure everyone who currently plays is up to par every eachother.
there are 21 different versions with 2 main goas:
7 different languages and 3 different sizes.

All of them should contain all the utils (4.5 will contain both 2020 and 2021 for gog compatibility),
one difference is size (for someone who can't download 450Mb)
and another differecnce is language.
I can include all the 7 languages into 1 installer, but if will be 3-5x bigger.
I still don't know how to that better, maybe you can give some ideas?
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 11:18:40 AM »
What if when we go to install the game we can just click which language we want it downloaded into, english, russian etc. That way everything is still in one place but we just have to click which language? But still make all the utilities mandatory for download. Only thing we would have to choose is language.

Like i said before I am not tech savvy so i dont know if this is do able. Just an idea.

Offline Rus

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »
This is the best idea to make so that any player could host the game at any time without ip settings. A lot of newbies leave war2 because they cannot host games, and in others they are banned.In the Russian community of war2, we hold tournaments on different maps at least every month .. why Xurnt disappeared and stopped creating tournaments - very bad.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »
What if when we go to install the game we can just click which language we want it downloaded into, english, russian etc. That way everything is still in one place but we just have to click which language?
Then there will not be an offline installer, depending on war2.ru ftp online and it will redownload files every time you reinstall combat.

and now you can just download from whereever you want and then install it everywhere, no internet required.

But still make all the utilities mandatory for download. Only thing we would have to choose is language.
All the utilities are included already. To every build except lite. Lite includes loader only (to enforce running the antihack and basic fixes).

This is the best idea to make so that any player could host the game at any time without ip settings. A lot of newbies leave war2 because they cannot host games, and in others they are banned.In the Russian community of war2, we hold tournaments on different maps at least every month .. why Xurnt disappeared and stopped creating tournaments - very bad.
Yes, hole puncher is the most important thing in war2 community for last years!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:50:20 PM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Eur0trash

• Peon
  • Lickmyanal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 11:54:41 PM »
Pretty much like baras ideas. U Russians. U shud let all join ur tourneys. We could have big 40-50player tourneys if u didn't act like pussies
Eat My puzz