Author Topic: forceful update for war2?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Warbux

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
forceful update for war2?
« on: July 06, 2019, 09:43:28 PM »
if not every 1 is using the AH war2 is there a way to make it so the next update automatically updates its self when they launch the game? or make it so only the newer version can log onto the server that way were all playing on the same thing an we know every 1 is running AH... i know in order for this to work this version would have to run for every 1 but better 1 exe for all then 100's  to go threw to see what works.. jus a thought

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: forceful update for war2?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 10:05:35 PM »
i think we can try to add that hole puncher state to the status page. Something like antihack status: to add the hole puncher status to that table.

I'm not ready to enforce update right now and i actually don't want to do that. I'm not sure about updater. I think to release the new combat soon, or just to let everybody update it manually.
I also don't plan to close the server for anyboday. My general line: server should be open for anybody, with any version: 2020, 2021 or GOG. At least anyone should be able to join and see the server is still alive.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 12:40:05 AM »
I dont understand the big deal with not forcing updates automatically upon login?  Why not have everyone play with all the same utilities/AH and anything that is invented for war2? Why should people be playing with different versions of the games? This is unheard of in the gaming world.. i dont understand it.

Ive been playing this game on and off since 99. Some more than me some less. I think the reason this game started to diminish was lack of interest from admins/mods on battlenet and now on ru. Yes i know RU has been sround since 06, but has it been flourishing or just barely in existence? We need to get with the times

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 12:44:01 AM »
how long cn you stay with the times bara i see your talking shit

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 12:44:18 AM »
20 years for now wtg

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 12:48:20 AM »
im giving you 1 year

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 12:48:44 AM »
strata is dead in 1 year to

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 12:50:14 AM »
when the year wraps around 1 more time you will not see these players

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 12:51:49 AM »
Im not talking shit, if you dont have anything useful to add to the conversation, stfu.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 12:53:56 AM »
in one year they will make fun of this game

Offline Warbux

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 12:58:01 AM »
ya i dont wana discourage ne 1 from playin but jus an ideaaa ,, id like to be on the same page wit every 1 i play wit instead of hearing "oh u can see how much wood ur choppers have ur cheating" well if every 1 had it no 1 oculd bitch but either way dont matter ill enjoy the game regardless

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 12:59:55 AM »
go bara go looool

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 06:42:48 AM »
I dont understand the big deal with not forcing updates automatically upon login?  Why not have everyone play with all the same utilities/AH and anything that is invented for war2? Why should people be playing with different versions of the games? This is unheard of in the gaming world.. i dont understand it.

There are 2 issues here:

1) The politics of the community and forcing updates etc. Personally, if it were up to me I would be a lot more arbitrary about a lot of things, and just tell people to put up or shut up.... so it's probably a good thing it's not up to me ;)

2) The actual work required. We are reverse engineering a 20 year old game/server. Nobody is getting paid. I'm pretty sure there isn't just a big friendly switch labeled "force update" that can simply be turned on. I don't know if there is an update facility built in to pvpgn, maybe but I'm not sure it would be compatible with the current AH without further work, even if it exists and someone does the research to set it all up.... or maybe iL has that all figured out already IDK, but I suspect he already has enough work to do.

I'm not a pvpgn expert, but I think it should possible to tag a new client with a new version number and then specify that version as the minimum requirement to log on to the server, but I think everything else would be produced outside of the automatic update mechanism.

Remember that the online "gaming world", in no small amount evolved from early battle.net, and they then got to develop new games with the benefit of hindsight. Everyone here is just volunteering their spare time to keep alive the game we all love.

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 01:07:00 PM »
I didnt mention this before, but i do want to say thank you to everyone involved in ru right now. Like you said, everyone is doing this for free, for the love of the game. No one can gripe about that for sure. Respect to everyone with all the skills they have and putting their talents toward war2.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 06:21:23 PM »
Several reasons as for me:
1. My loader updater works for itself currently. Not for the whole combat, just for loader only. (The idea was to release updates for antihack only, that was part of loader).
Hole puncher is not a part of loader.

2. If (in theory) we increase updater to the whole combat:
It's much more difficult job to make proper version control to update everything in combat. How to handle differences in mpq-files or anywhere else?
To redownload the whole file every time something is not equal to last version? It's really a big work to control differences in mpq files and redownload changes only.
Also, if somebody want to make some minor changes (like custom textures, etc), should we deny that and enforce sync with original?
Also, somebody prefer older combat versions as new ddraw.dll can work bad on some old and weak computers or w/e.
Also, if you downloaded old combat you can reinstall it, and then it will be redownloaded after each installation.

3. My vision: server should not be limited by only 1 version of war2.
We are not blizzard, we are not authors. We just want to merge as many war2 players as ne can.
That's why i think the important thing is to let everybody see our server is alive and join us by any other war2 client: any official build, any pirate build. Just add our gateway, join and play.
At least they should be able to join and see the chat, to let them see our community is still playing war2.

4. When i tried to share combat on torrent tracker i saw that their admins don't like builds of games developed by one specific unofficial server.
I think torrents could be a good way to distribute war2, so maybe these rules could be applied to many other torrent trackers and other resources.
I also never planned to tightly link between ru server and ru client.
Of course, ru client can have some additional functionality together with ru server, but is should work the same way with any other server. Same as ru server should work with any other client.
On rutracker i just explained that our client is not a war2 build for our server, but server is included to gateways only because it's the only one war2 server in the world.

So, i think maybe we need some steps to enforce updating, but not just enforce that automatically.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.