Author Topic: forceful update for war2?  (Read 4189 times)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: forceful update for war2?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 06:44:55 PM »
I've been working recently on the fix for game hosting and since we don't have an automatic updater here I knew I not only have to solve the problem but I also had to find a way to make my patch backwards compatible with those that don't have my patch. Having no updater makes it a lot more difficult to solve the problems we have with the game.

Now some players asked me if I could also fix the "conflicts" (where some players can't play together in the same game), I think I could easily fix that too since I know what the problem is about, however, It's probably somewhere between very difficult to nearly impossible to make a patch that solves the problem and at the same time is still backwards compatible with those that don't have my patch. So maybe it's not going to happen cause we don't have an updater...

Another advantage is that if we'd had an updater then everyone would be forced to use the Anti-Hack (currently it's optional and cheaters probably just use their own version without AH).

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:49:10 PM by fois »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 08:05:25 PM »
4. When i tried to share combat on torrent tracker i saw that their admins don't like builds of games developed by one specific unofficial server.
I think torrents could be a good way to distribute war2, so maybe these rules could be applied to many other torrent trackers and other resources.

BTW I noticed that rutracker.org is DNS blacklisted in Australia.

There isn't very much control here, it took them about 10 years to force some DNS blocking through the courts, with the ISPs fighting it. AFAIK it's only torrent sites that are blocked, and that site is on the list.

As for torrent site admins, possibly the fact that war2combat comes from a Russian source may be working against you. Right or wrong RU has a reputation for hacking. TBH I probably wouldn't trust it either if I didn't know the people involved. When I first joined the server I made sure I always used my original BNE CD for that reason.

BTW: For anyone else reading this War2Combat is 100% safe and contains no malware, so hf :)
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
It's really a big work to control differences in mpq files and redownload changes only.
Also, if somebody want to make some minor changes (like custom textures, etc), should we deny that and enforce sync with original?
Also, somebody prefer older combat versions as new ddraw.dll can work bad on some old and weak computers or w/e.
Also, if you downloaded old combat you can reinstall it, and then it will be redownloaded after each installation.

I think an updater can safely ignore the mpq files. There isn't anything that really effects gameplay. If someone ends up with a minimal set of mpqs and they want more they can always just delete and re-install.

Ideally ddraw fixes should be controlled by a "Set Video" type utility, like they used to have for selecting sound cards. It would probably be easiest to just include the the most common ddraws as resources then the utility can just unpack them, or optionally download the latest update (if there is one).

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 01:39:28 AM »
Overthinking this way too much.  Force everyone to use the latest version just like every other game so contributors like Fois can focus on a single solution to a problem.  People without the right version should be muted and game joining disabled with a message to download the latest version.

Give the players the benefit of the doubt that they can figure out how to install the latest version of war2.

Offline (PLS DELETE MY ACC)

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 02:45:16 AM »
Force everyone to use the latest version just like every other game so contributors like Fois can focus on a single solution to a problem.
+1, OR AT LEAST FORK IT.

FREE RANGE WAR2 FOR ALL THE HAX0RS AND LANGUAGES AND HOTKEYS N STUFF

AND A NEAT UNIFIED VERSION THAT FORCES UPDATES WITH ALL THE FIXES FROM FOIS AND ANTIHAX

GUY NEEDS TO FOCUS ON THE SOLUTIONS, NOT ON HOW TO BYPASS BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LC4YCh9Hg0
TOTALLY UNBIASED CHOP VIDEO

NOTHING (EXCEPT FOR A SUPER FRESH ADMIN) CAN STOP THE VANIMAL!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 06:29:08 AM »
Overthinking this way too much.  Force everyone to use the latest version just like every other game so contributors like Fois can focus on a single solution to a problem.  People without the right version should be muted and game joining disabled with a message to download the latest version.

Having a hosting fix as part of the desired version will accomplish this as people without that version won't be able to join most games anyway.

A stable working hosting fix should result in people deliberately CLOSING their ports so that non-users can't join their games ;)

Give the players the benefit of the doubt that they can figure out how to install the latest version of war2.

You'd think so but sadly nobody seems to be getting any better at this stuff as the years go by. These days people expect everything to work 10 seconds after they tap INSTALL on their smartphone and then update itself in the background.

But yeah, I agree a fancy updater isn't a high priority IMO.

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 04:00:01 PM »

Get that common sense atta here, no room for that!

Ive been preaching this same thing. Why do other games auto update with new features but war2 ru  needs to treat people like babies and idiots.

1 version for all

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »
i personally think 1 version for all (the latest version) is the way to go also.. but it sounds like there are some issues making that less than ideal?

im assuming it would be difficult to implement an automatic updater?

Offline Eur0trash

• Peon
  • Lickmyanal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 04:18:21 PM »
For now on I use only the latest combat.

I warvid every fking game if sum1 accuses

Plz make big topic always when new version of war2 available
Eat My puzz

Offline Warbux

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »
well i mean .. i like to use my own custom hot keys so i put in my own patch.mpq... i havent played a wc2 that affected this so i wouldnt think the updater would change sum 1s mpq so any 1 can still use the same mpq they been using right? but the game its self would be updated to the same ver for every 1 so we all have AH an we all have the same updated ver of the game .. game lobby mini map .. peons chopping ... ect ect