Author Topic: bigger maps?  (Read 4971 times)

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
bigger maps?
« on: July 08, 2019, 02:12:05 AM »
lamb it seems i have went past the last tile..but only so far...i think i run into another value and it throws a crash on even "bigger" map.

the first tile of a pud is there and last tile is ..and i dont think its erasing tiles but idk

ran a test on a 96 to 128..seems the game objects are still say 96x96 but tiles can go beyond even though a game object cant walk over there.

well it seems to affect the playable area ...thast a 16x16 from a 96 ..none of the sheep nor build spots  work unless its in that 16 x 16.....so whats holding a unit from getting to the outer side of the  128x128 looks like its the mini map itself..

yup seems to be the case :D  map has no additional info it will redraw itself
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:20:49 AM by easycompany »

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: bigger maps?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 03:27:18 AM »
success!
im afraid to tell yall how big they can be  ;D ;D  only problem is making a pud file so it works
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:45:22 AM by easycompany »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 06:48:06 AM »
Not really sure what I'm looking at ???

What have you done here exactly?

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 07:37:57 AM »
my peon has ventured out of the 128x128

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:39:59 AM »
but im not sure how u can tell the tiles .... outside of it what they are as i forced it to read whatever it had before a crash so it was lucky to still have basic stuff in the objects.

to show what it does if..theres no info it will lap back over itself for some reason....height can be 128... width ive already been to 800..and it will go till it hits that width and stop..but im not sure how the pud can add that..tried some cheap tricks in the pud but no avail crash at start.

lapped is i tested the  800 width and its like 6 or so 128 maps long ..but it will probably be no use without the pud ...o well

he cant cross till you make it read beyond the  128x128 info..and if it did work ud be making laps around the mini from left to right until right is reached.

im not in the same map as my green building is on ..im 10 maps over 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:58:05 AM by easycompany »

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »
my peon has ventured out of the 128x128

Yes but what have you changed to achieve this? The pud file?

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
u change the mini map view limit+the pud dimensions width seems to be 2byte..height needs to stay at 128 risky to crash... ;p...oh i dont know how'ud make it work ..my guess is mem only and thats is if it allows you to add to the pud tiles and object...pud seemed to failed even when telling it custom sizes.

border will tell you what im saying...if it had info there the peon can cross saying ground and trees of another map then it would draw that map.

i made the memory read past the 128x128 stop, so it streched the 128 gow and then added to it so he could travel till i hit a non ground tile bogus value from wherever it is reading from.

just look in disc..

prob wont work o well let me down easy..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:43:21 AM by easycompany »

Offline Moriouce

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:32:53 AM »
I hope there is a way to make this work. Playing larger than standard maps would be awesome! 256 and 512 would give endless possabilities!

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
warcraft 2 is not a game, where you make large army 200/200, ofc in 4x4 it will be fun, since game wont be till first gold mine and nowhere to make expand
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 01:50:18 PM »
well its beyond me..but someone like lamb and the rest they would know if it is possible.

mainly for sea maps and bigger land masses is wat im seeing for a sea "..land and build.."but yeah 4x4 is kinda small for such a thing.

it looks like it has to be 128x256 etc i was crashing making a map messing with height .

it would be great if the pud could doit as it would put the map into the mini correctly..but i doubt its programmed for it.

cancelled for me ..it seems to just break the game.. :'(

where the objects are its still is fixed..and it wont let me add ..so it looks like one would have to reprogram the game  :'(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:51:15 PM by easycompany »

Offline Moriouce

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 05:26:14 AM »
well its beyond me..but someone like lamb and the rest they would know if it is possible.

mainly for sea maps and bigger land masses is wat im seeing for a sea "..land and build.."but yeah 4x4 is kinda small for such a thing.

it looks like it has to be 128x256 etc i was crashing making a map messing with height .

it would be great if the pud could doit as it would put the map into the mini correctly..but i doubt its programmed for it.

cancelled for me ..it seems to just break the game.. :'(

where the objects are its still is fixed..and it wont let me add ..so it looks like one would have to reprogram the game  :'(

I Hope it is doable, 128x256 still sounds awesome!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 08:54:09 AM »
..so it looks like one would have to reprogram the game  :'(

Yeah pretty much (sadly). AFAIK WC2 won't even load larger maps, so I am impressed you got as far as you did.

I think when you increase the width you would be causing it to wrap around and read the next map line as if it was the end of the current line, but if you try that on the last line you will be reading random stuff or possibly unallocated memory. There would be many changes in lots of places to make this work. I'll look at it when I turn 80 and retire... anyway I am working on the game log plugin, so that's something at least.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 01:01:31 PM »
well u can stretch say a 96 to a 128 and change the view to see the rest of the 96..it actually has widen like 4 to 5 pixels before a crash..but that isnt a big change at all....80 loool hell naw we got all year to play on war2.

i read sc1 got to 288x288 but im not sure if this was just someone talking as there isnt alot of info on it.

"but if you try that on the last line you will be reading random stuff or possibly unallocated memory"

yeah i think thats what happens as i forced it to read past it and just got so far out till it runs into some other memory that will make it crash. it was just enuff 00's to walk ;p

ill mess with it but im not sure what i can do..mem is a new thing and its like 4gb ;o

so if it cant be added to 134x129ish is big as a war2 map can get

the view will repeat like u said till it hits its far right, but a stretch will show it then go to a repeat if the view is to big
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:30:15 PM by easycompany »

Offline Warbux

• Server Admin
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 08:34:35 PM »
but im not sure how u can tell the tiles .... outside of it what they are as i forced it to read whatever it had before a crash so it was lucky to still have basic stuff in the objects.

to show what it does if..theres no info it will lap back over itself for some reason....height can be 128... width ive already been to 800..and it will go till it hits that width and stop..but im not sure how the pud can add that..tried some cheap tricks in the pud but no avail crash at start.

lapped is i tested the  800 width and its like 6 or so 128 maps long ..but it will probably be no use without the pud ...o well

he cant cross till you make it read beyond the  128x128 info..and if it did work ud be making laps around the mini from left to right until right is reached.

im not in the same map as my green building is on ..im 10 maps over 

lamb when u said making laps .. is  there a way that if u walk across the right outer edge u will pop out on the left side of the map? anyway thats possible?