Author Topic: war2 music for future combat, better quality  (Read 1948 times)

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
war2 music for future combat, better quality
« on: September 05, 2019, 05:14:20 AM »
From this discussion form gog:
https://www.gog.com/forum/warcraft_ii_battlenet_edition/original_redbook_audio_restored_junk_removed

The idea is to get CDA-tracks from the original War2BDP disc.

The thread owner's job was not perfect, he got .wav-files even worse than original (as i can consider on his wav-files size and mpq packing quality), but i like his idea.

So i asked ours, and lesnik gave me the result of his job for converting BDP CDA to wav with no (or minimal) loss.

That sounds different than BNE's music, but looks like Blizzard reduced quality and cropped their music to save place and put it to their BNE CD-disk.

What do you guys think about this music and to add it into the next version of combat replacing original or maybe as an option?

http://ftp.war2.ru/war2/BTDP4BNE.7z

As i said before, i understand nothing in music, all i can see is this music is a little different than BNE, tracks are longer sometimes and it's much bigger as a disk space required.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:16:59 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Available

• Global Moderator
  • Grunt
  • We're smarter than you.
    • View Profile
Re: war2 music for future combat, better quality
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 07:56:31 AM »
Also note this is a 48kHz version, most fit for modern audiocards.

But anyone can do 44(if really need) with own old CD version + some work to split tracks 2 and 10 for BNE compatibility.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 08:20:38 PM »
From this discussion form gog:
https://www.gog.com/forum/warcraft_ii_battlenet_edition/original_redbook_audio_restored_junk_removed

The idea is to get CDA-tracks from the original War2BDP disc.

The thread owner's job was not perfect, he got .wav-files even worse than original (as i can consider on his wav-files size and mpq packing quality), but i like his idea.

So i asked ours, and lesnik gave me the result of his job for converting BDP CDA to wav with no (or minimal) loss.

That sounds different than BNE's music, but looks like Blizzard reduced quality and cropped their music to save place and put it to their BNE CD-disk.

What do you guys think about this music and to add it into the next version of combat replacing original or maybe as an option?

http://ftp.war2.ru/war2/BTDP4BNE.7z

As i said before, i understand nothing in music, all i can see is this music is a little different than BNE, tracks are longer sometimes and it's much bigger as a disk space required.

I already ask you couple years ago to do someting like that, pretty sure you remember it.

But you dint want me as admin so i never did it.

Whatever, i cant use the studio right now cuz my sound card is not working with windows 10, so i cant listen from a studio pov, but for what i ear in the head phone, it look pretty good, nothing to worry about the quality.

Maybe the size file is lower but that dont mean the quality is not good.

Sometime compressor in 2019 gonna cut useless frenquencys that our ear cant eard, like frenquency above 150 and frequency under 16 k.

I really doubt it's the case here because those sound have been made by blizzard, so i really doubt they dont cut those frenquency themself, but maybe it's the case since those sound are comming from orchestra and there ALOT OF instruments, so engineer get  lazy and dint cares since hes the only one to know it… Or maybe it's because they dint know well about frequencys in that time, or maybe he cut somes, but not all of thems.

Whatever i will need my studio to see those kind of frequency. because we cant really heard that from the ear.

If the probleme is not frequencys then maybe he just use a bad free compressor on internet, but for what i eard in my head phone, its not that bad, you guys should be happy to lose that much size and still have that quality, it's actually pretty good.

PS: Actually we talk about how much size?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:28:25 PM by Equinox »
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »
I already ask you couple years ago to do someting like that, pretty sure you remember it.
Yes, i've been waiting for your reply here in this thread!

Well, i see, we probably can try to reduce size of music with no lossing much quality.
Reducing size could be quite useful thing as unpacked music requires +500Mb to the size of the whole installer.

I think we can follow 3 ways:

1. try to get this set of .wav-files and pack it into .mpq-archive lossy with strong compression.

2. try to use some modern software from 2019 to reduce the size with minimal loss quality and then pack to .mpq lossless or weak compression

3. don't reduce the size of .wavs and pack them lossless as is. Combat will require about 900Mb instead of 450, but who cares...

Of course that makes sence only if everybody agree this music is not worse than one included into BNE.

I remember your thoughts about my midi2wav experiments and you said that it's not a good way.
So, need to make sure this music is good for war2 and it can be better than the original bne one.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Available

• Global Moderator
  • Grunt
  • We're smarter than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »
need to make sure

Ha-ha-ha. Of course it’s worse. ;D