Author Topic: Australia in fire, WHERE THE FUCK YOU LIVE SG?  (Read 9509 times)

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Australia in fire, WHERE THE FUCK YOU LIVE SG?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 09:47:33 AM »
seems to be the biggest fire of all time.  fires have always happened in california too but those are also worse than ever in recent years.  fires can be a thing that have always happened and yet also getting worse

Yeah it's definitely a bad year. Back-burning is the key.

Its actually a human problem that makes for really bad fires. It's because we go around putting them out. This lets the undergrowth build up to unnaturally high levels then when there's all that fuel and you have a hot dry summer there are bad fires.

The most intense fires are always in areas that haven't burnt in too many years.

As for the worst, how do you measure that? I vividly remember the Ash Wednesday Bushfires. I can still picture the massive wall of smoke I could see riding my bike home from school. It looked like a thunderstorm but it was the wrong color and in the wrong place.

75 people died that day. Choked or burned to death. 12 of the CFA volunteer firefighters who died were from our local fire brigade. They burned. The front changed so fast they had nowhere to go. Some of them were in the open, a couple of them tried to shelter under their truck. They would have known they were dead, but I guess it's just instinct to try to get away. There was only charred remains left.

I was 12 years old. They will always stick in my memory as being pretty bad, but if you are going by human lives then the Black Saturday Fires were worse. 173 people died that day, including probably the most well known TV news anchor in Victoria who burned in his home. That was pretty bad.

Are the current fires worse? I certainly hope not. They are a part of life here, but they are horrible, horrible things. Certainly they are now much better publicised. All of a sudden the whole world wants to use them to push their own agendas or ghoulishly fantasize about the ridiculously color-enhanced satellite images, but really they should all send donations to the Country Fire Authority or just fuck off and push their barrows elsewhere :blank:

1851 Black Thursday Bushfires

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:24:16 AM by Lambchops »
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline tora is a simp bitch for billionaires

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
The 2019–20 bushfire season is of notable intensity compared to previous seasons as it has burned an estimated 10.7 million hectares (26 million acres; 107,000 square kilometres; 41,000 square miles)

destroyed over 5,900 buildings (including over 2,204 homes)

The bushfires are regarded by the NSW Rural Fire Service as the worst bushfire season in memory.

In December 2019, the New South Wales Government declared a state of emergency after record-breaking temperatures and prolonged drought exacerbated the bushfires

It was estimated that close to half a billion animals in New South Wales were affected by the ongoing fires.

Other estimates, which include animals like bats, amphibians and invertebrates, put the number killed at over a billion. Ecologists fear some endangered species will be driven to extinction by the fires.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 12:26:47 PM »
seems to be the biggest fire of all time.  fires have always happened in california too but those are also worse than ever in recent years.  fires can be a thing that have always happened and yet also getting worse

Yeah it's definitely a bad year. Back-burning is the key.

Its actually a human problem that makes for really bad fires. It's because we go around putting them out. This lets the undergrowth build up to unnaturally high levels then when there's all that fuel and you have a hot dry summer there are bad fires.

The most intense fires are always in areas that haven't burnt in too many years.

As for the worst, how do you measure that? I vividly remember the Ash Wednesday Bushfires. I can still picture the massive wall of smoke I could see riding my bike home from school. It looked like a thunderstorm but it was the wrong color and in the wrong place.

75 people died that day. Choked or burned to death. 12 of the CFA volunteer firefighters who died were from our local fire brigade. They burned. The front changed so fast they had nowhere to go. Some of them were in the open, a couple of them tried to shelter under their truck. They would have known they were dead, but I guess it's just instinct to try to get away. There was only charred remains left.

I was 12 years old. They will always stick in my memory as being pretty bad, but if you are going by human lives then the Black Saturday Fires were worse. 173 people died that day, including probably the most well known TV news anchor in Victoria who burned in his home. That was pretty bad.

Are the current fires worse? I certainly hope not. They are a part of life here, but they are horrible, horrible things. Certainly they are now much better publicised. All of a sudden the whole world wants to use them to push their own agendas or ghoulishly fantasize about the ridiculously color-enhanced satellite images, but really they should all send donations to the Country Fire Authority or just fuck off and push their barrows elsewhere :blank:

1851 Black Thursday Bushfires

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia

It looks like you are in some insane denial

Looked up the ash wednesday fire on wikipedia.  Across the whole fire season:
5,200 km2 (1,284,948 acres) burnt throughout the 1982/83 season.

Current fire:
Over 10,700,000 hectares (26,000,000 acres)

this is over 20x bigger dude.  and it's not over

Offline tora is a simp bitch for billionaires

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 12:57:17 PM »
Australia's government is worthless and denies climate change

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 06:39:07 PM »
wonders if its arsonist..and in aus do yall see alot of kangaroos?

Offline KaNuKs~

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »
Fire burns up, not down.

So SG was obviously fine from his mother's basement.