Author Topic: A Modest Proposal  (Read 1883 times)

Offline uk_spree

• Critter
    • View Profile
A Modest Proposal
« on: September 02, 2020, 09:14:04 PM »
I have a feeling no one's going to take this seriously, but could folks be just a tad nicer to beginners? It might've been fine in the bne days because this was one of the sexier games of the time but let's be real -- this game's 25 years old at this point so we're lucky to even have as many as players as we do. Most of my gaming time is limited to the weekends, but even in my limited number of games these days I see people being downright nasty to beginners and calling them dumb or stupid as if one's skill at War2 were in any way correlated with real-world success or intelligence. By doing this, the community's basically encouraging these folks to move on to other games and leave War2 in the dust. Hell, after almost two decades of not playing, you could basically classify me as beginner-level at this point but at least I have the nostalgia of playing this game religiously everyday in my youth to keep me coming back to War2. The beginners of today don't have this connection and we need to provide a more encouraging environment if we want to ensure the future of this game. Just my $0.02.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:49:26 PM by Uk_Spree »

Offline woofy

• Server Admin
  • Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: A Modest Proposal
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 02:59:10 PM »
Great post. 110% agree

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 03:10:54 PM »
lol, newb

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
rofl Shotgun ;D

If you are new, wear it! Let people know you are and accept if they dont allow you in their games.
If you get into a game full of very experienced players you probably should trust the judgement of the hosts, if they think the game wont be fun it probably wont be. I mean there is no reason to be mad if you are kicked/banned from a lobby the hosts do not have to accept you its their lobby you are trying to get into after all.

At the same time there are plenty of hosts that either are new or will accomodate new players and are very welcoming or try to make room for all most of the time, including myself.

If a host wants you to sit it out, you can ask for watching the game maybe they will accept but then again you are not entitled we are a community we gotta accept everyone's right to decide who they want to play with in their games.

Start looking for people your own level or that are willing to try to make room for you in their games and try to accomodate/match your skill level.
You can also host your own games I mean you should really!

Not everyone is nice but you are not entitled either, act like a polite and decent indivitual and respect others it is likely your experience will be that much better even with the most toxic of our  members. Although honestly why would you try to play with the most toxic of our members in the first place when we have so many nice and decent folks.

On a side-note we have a discord channel (http://en.war2.ru/discord) that is fairly active with a lot of new players, it is the place to meet players your level and plan your games and even voice chat you should definitely have a look.

Also if you are looking at a time to play, or people to play with during the weekend and wednesday, feel free to join my games I stream almost every week and will always try to allow new players in my games so you can try hopping in during these times. :-)

Welcome back to war2  :wc2:

Offline ogreslayer52

• Critter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »

Hey spree :)

Thought I could offer a good perspective on things considering,

I first started playing on .ru back in May (I played a few months when BNE [mostly BGH lol...]first came out before moving on to starcraft, war3, etc.) -- Considering the game is so old and it's such an insulated community, I thought there would be more push back than there actually is. Most of the people here have been pretty welcoming, with a few going out of their way to help me along and answer questions (undine, grunn, quilkes, oneorcarmy, TK, old school have all helped me )-- In the first two months it was definitely annoying/frustrating getting kicked out of games, but I love the game so, I was willing to put up with it. (I also remember the skill gap within counterstrike and getting helped and helping people with that game in college).

Enough people know me now that i'm able to play in at least 50% of gow games without getting kicked. There is definitely still a small contingent of guys in the gow games that are aggro/annoying and will kick me,but i get it, it's hard to balance when someone is new, and you just want a competitive game (also nerd rage is always a factor). As Cel said, they're under no obligation to be welcome to new comers, etc. etc. Cel, you're also an extremely nice guy, so it's easy to get into your games play in your weird map rotation (the weird map rotation crew is also nice) :P  Usually when you comment/watch gow games it's with most established players--so you might not see some of the nonsense that UK Spree is talking about towards newer players.

There's a small contingent of newer players that have been playing the last few months (MSFC, celticdruid, ogreslayer (no relation :P) obituary)--so hopefully these guys stay--I know I will. If I see someone being picking on these guys, I will probably say something--don't care that i've been here for only a little while. All the guys helped me probably because someone helped them when they were new---it's kind of how it works. I understand some people just want to play, and not build the community, but like Spree said it is such an old game, I think it's only a positive in the long run.

I don't know what its been like on ru for the past few years, is there usually a small group of newcomers every year or so or is this new group larger because of COVID (It was in my case)? The first month on ru is the hardest, so I will try to be welcoming to any new players I see and pay it forward :D --even though i've been here only a few months, I think it's important.

go humans :D

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 10:03:11 PM »
If you are new join clan z. Van loves training new players.

Offline WillTheRealKoorbStandUp

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 11:11:29 PM »
Good players need to take new players under their wing.
introduce them to other good players so they knw that they ar trying to learn
i use to help n train quite a few players, alf-attack, poiyot winchester areyouwetyet shade, and heaps others i cant remember atm

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 06:00:05 AM »
Good players need to take new players under their wing.
introduce them to other good players so they knw that they ar trying to learn
i use to help n train quite a few players, alf-attack, poiyot winchester areyouwetyet shade, and heaps others i cant remember atm

Bromane420 used to play with us alot too

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »
I agree with just about all advice given above.

The people that succeed as new players, are nice themselves and ask questions. "Just curious, why did I get banned?", "What can I do", "I'd like to watch please can you tell me how", "How can I get better?" "What games should I join?" (all things a bot can help them with)

They also can't expect to play in private games. They are private for a reason. They need to know, unless told, in melee games, they shouldn't orc or build. All things people can teach them.

Here is my biggest issue personally. I used to spend hours helping new people learn how to build and play. Then they quit, very frustrating. Not only that but assholes smurfs say they are new and I spend time trying to help them and then they troll me. Celticdruid is one.

Because this has happened many times, I no longer go out of my way to help new people. It is a huge waste of my time.