Author Topic: WinWar Map Editor (WIP)  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
WinWar Map Editor (WIP)
« on: January 04, 2021, 05:16:24 PM »
So, here is a small instruction how to use Map Editor for WinWar (also for original Warcraft 1)
For now you can work with campaign maps only. Each mission consists of two parts:
* Level data: gold, units. AI routes, animation palettes, mission objective, etc.
* Tiles Map: 64x64 tiles map.

PLEASE NOTE. Do not put walls and roads onto Tiles Map. They should be included into Level Data and regenerated during startup.

So. At the beginning you need to open DATA.WAR in editor:

Now you are able to change some options. For example, level technologies:

Now save your changes into resources file:

Suggested name will contains resources number. For "Humans 1" it will be resource117.bin. Now you can replace it with WarDraft.
Close Map Editor and open your DATA.WAR in WarDraft. Find and select resource #117 and import your new file. Do not forget to make it compressed:

Run Warcraft and enjoy your changes:

Now let's change a couple of tiles. First of all open Map Editor and load DATA.WAR. Then export any level into Tiled editor format:

You will have three files. For example "Humans 1.json", "65.json" and "65.png". Your main file is "Humans 1.json" (or any name you put during saving).
Now you need to open Tiled editor. Get it here:

https://www.mapeditor.org/

Open "Humans 1.json" in it. You will have something like this:

Make any changes you want and save them in Tiled. After this Import map file in WinWar Map Editor (do not forget to have DATA.WAR opened):

Save your map into resource file:

Now put the resource back into DATA.WAR with WarDraft. Run Warcraft and enjoy your changes:

PLEASE NOTE: WarDarft cannot save data bigger than original. So, if you have this situation try to find another packing utility.

PLEASE NOTE: WinWar Map Editor has very early alpha version. So it will not tell you what to do and will crash in any unexpected case.

PLEASE NOTE: There is a bug in Editor and it will show you walls and roads as a tiles.

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: WinWar Map Editor (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 06:14:30 AM »
How to change AI Route.

Open your DATA.WAR, select level you need and open "Map" and "Ai Routes" forms.
Now you can see routes on map for selected mission .

Select route you want to edit and press "Edit" button. You will have a form like this:

Here you can change the probability and points for the route.

PLEASE NOTE: you cannot undo most of your changes. The only possibility is to close everything without saving and open again

Press OK button and see your new route on map:

PLEASE NOTE: it's recommended to have total probability for all routes 100%.

Now save level data and put it back to DATA.WAR with WarDraft

Enjoy your changes:

PLEASE NOTE: you ave no possibility to add/remove routes and points for now. This will change your level data size and WarDraft failure chance will be bigger.

PS Number of units in one group is a setting for each level. Will add possibility to change it later.

Offline Doomer

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 12:00:45 PM »
Use standard Import, not fast in WarDraft to insert bigger files.

Offline Zelya

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 04:21:44 AM »
Thank you!

When I was tried to use Standard Import before, the new data file causes crashes for me.
But I cannot reproduce this now. So I think the reason was my broken files.

This is very good news. I can finalize most of functionality soon.

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 09:42:34 PM »
So, here is a small instruction how to use Map Editor for WinWar (also for original Warcraft 1)
For now you can work with campaign maps only. Each mission consists of two parts:
* Level data: gold, units. AI routes, animation palettes, mission objective, etc.
* Tiles Map: 64x64 tiles map.

PLEASE NOTE. Do not put walls and roads onto Tiles Map. They should be included into Level Data and regenerated during startup.

So. At the beginning you need to open DATA.WAR in editor:

Now you are able to change some options. For example, level technologies:

Now save your changes into resources file:

Suggested name will contains resources number. For "Humans 1" it will be resource117.bin. Now you can replace it with WarDraft.
Close Map Editor and open your DATA.WAR in WarDraft. Find and select resource #117 and import your new file. Do not forget to make it compressed:

Run Warcraft and enjoy your changes:

Now let's change a couple of tiles. First of all open Map Editor and load DATA.WAR. Then export any level into Tiled editor format:

You will have three files. For example "Humans 1.json", "65.json" and "65.png". Your main file is "Humans 1.json" (or any name you put during saving).
Now you need to open Tiled editor. Get it here:

https://www.mapeditor.org/

Open "Humans 1.json" in it. You will have something like this:

Make any changes you want and save them in Tiled. After this Import map file in WinWar Map Editor (do not forget to have DATA.WAR opened):

Save your map into resource file:

Now put the resource back into DATA.WAR with WarDraft. Run Warcraft and enjoy your changes:

PLEASE NOTE: WarDarft cannot save data bigger than original. So, if you have this situation try to find another packing utility.

PLEASE NOTE: WinWar Map Editor has very early alpha version. So it will not tell you what to do and will crash in any unexpected case.

PLEASE NOTE: There is a bug in Editor and it will show you walls and roads as a tiles.

Hello, are you still active on this forum ? I hope it's not so late but I'm interested on this very much. Is the map editor ever completed ? Is ever possible to change mission map or custom map objective/triggers ?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to make this ever possible. This project really deserves way more attention.