Author Topic: Multilingual server  (Read 6465 times)

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Multilingual server
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:57:13 AM »
Let's talk about this:
Since the URL is changing and we have to do a 301 redirect anyway, why not change it to something unique like en.war2.ru? (Or war2.ru/en/, doesn't really matter.)

I have a plan for future: to make our things multilingual.

First step i see on this way is our server.war2.ru WordPress site. Plugin is already installed, need to make some reconfiguration. Not so easy, but resolvable.
That should look like several sites: en.war2.ru with current content, ru.war2.ru with the same interface, menus in russian. Most articles should be russian too. That should look like if russian article exists, you get it from ru.war2.ru, otherwise you will see an english one.
We can make more subdomains like lang.war2.ru for any other languages.
All the sites will have interface identical to existing, except small language switcher in the corner.

My question is:
what do you think about this idea and are you interested in translations to any other languages?
Does anybody want to make such translation? I don't speak any languages besides english and russian, so i can't do that myself.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Re: Multilingual server
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »
It's a nice idea and would be great if we could get people on board willing to do the translations. It would only be practical to translate the most important articles though, since the site overall has hundreds of pages (biographies, news posts, etc.)

There's a lot of work to do before this can begin though. I'm going to be revising some of the page layouts a bit, and the major articles need to be revised & consolidated from other sources (like all the various forum threads with info & how tos. Half of them aren't even written yet.
squeak!

Offline GetReady

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »
I am equinox and i just send a email to iL moustopher, your better w8 before ban me... Your fucking better w8, go talk with il.

Il go read your mail.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:17:18 AM by GetReady »

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
It's a nice idea and would be great if we could get people on board willing to do the translations. It would only be practical to translate the most important articles though, since the site overall has hundreds of pages (biographies, news posts, etc.)

There's a lot of work to do before this can begin though. I'm going to be revising some of the page layouts a bit, and the major articles need to be revised & consolidated from other sources (like all the various forum threads with info & how tos. Half of them aren't even written yet.

Add the war2 hall of fames data to the site while you are at it.

http://www.igl.net/war2
http://www.igl.net/zwar2
http://www.igl.net/kwar2
Go to the sites and click hall of fame to see them.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
I think a spanish version would be a very good to have, Smurf King can help with those translations?

Also how hard is it to make combat versions included to the diff. language sites? German one is already there for a German site, so what about the rest? This could really help out.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
Also how hard is it to make combat versions included to the diff. language sites? German one is already there for a German site, so what about the rest? This could really help out.
I also have multilingual combat in plans.
Maybe after several high-priority tasks.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 07:13:17 PM »
yes i can. i can help on the web site translation.

about the client version

i still have that unfinished task i started about 3 years ago, I just dont have the time for that at the moment but will do around May/June
to have a spanish client.
(i still have the spanish version of war2 which was incredibly hard to find.)

http://war2.warcraft.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=431427

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:13:29 PM »
Sounds good

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:24:16 PM »
yes i can. i can help on the web site translation.
Nice to see that, so, let it be es.war2.ru then!

i still have that unfinished task i started about 3 years ago, I just dont have the time for that at the moment but will do around May/June
to have a spanish client.
(i still have the spanish version of war2 which was incredibly hard to find.)
Yes, i remember that and still keep that spanish version on my computer.
wonder what do you plan to finish as soon as that version is ok.

I think spanish implementation to combat will not be too hard. To copy several proper files between mpq and w/e? Our russian team built russian version manually from old dos version with BNE-incompatible format, that was really much job...

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 07:34:24 PM »
not hard but still work
at first glance might seem a simple task...

also i remember wanting to put 2 versions, one with spanish original hotkeys, and other with english hotkeys. kind of as a choice for users to choose from... (id personally want spanish war2 but with english hotkeys)

and also fixing some blizzard developing errors as to why the paladin had a different name from the unit, and from the barracks lol

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 07:41:39 PM »
also i remember wanting to put 2 versions, one with spanish original hotkeys, and other with english hotkeys. kind of as a choice for users to choose from... (id personally want spanish war2 but with english hotkeys)
Yes, that is what i plan to do for combat also.
The same is already working for russian combat (4.00). English hotkeys with russian words.

I'd appreciate if you document what files contain what (i don't remember that since last work with russain war2).

and also fixing some blizzard developing errors as to why the paladin had a different name from the unit, and from the barracks lol
Looks like spanish translation-specific problem, i hope on your localized files to implement them to spanish combat also.
May/June looks fine for that.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
We should have a seperate site for spanish, like the russian one so we can get more people. iL said the russian one attracts a lot of people, so a spanish one should do the same.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
That's the plan -- maybe not a "separate" site, but a Spanish translation (and other languages too) of the main site, or maybe just the most important pages/articles on it. E.g. es.war2.ru, fr.war2.ru, de.war2.ru, etc.
squeak!

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »
That's the plan -- maybe not a "separate" site, but a Spanish translation (and other languages too) of the main site, or maybe just the most important pages/articles on it. E.g. es.war2.ru, fr.war2.ru, de.war2.ru, etc.

Cool, thats exactly what I had in mind.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
Not a bad idea

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)