Poll

To close war2 clients except combat or not to close?

We should deny all war2 versions except combat
11 (45.8%)
We should allow any possible war2 versions to play
13 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 17, 2015, 04:51:04 AM

Author Topic: To close war2 clients except combat or not to close  (Read 10425 times)

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
To close war2 clients except combat or not to close
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:51:04 AM »
The poll is being created by the request from Equinox: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,657.0.html

The discussed problem is being discussed here: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,64.0.html
Here's the history of conversations about different versions: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,59.0.html

Brief contents:
All war2 versions are compatible with maphack that can be caught by SS on pause.
"Proper" version (combat) is not compatible with deactivating maphack. That means you can activate maphack, then deactivate it, but SS will still contain marks that maphack had been used.
"Improper" version (some of other versions including official license updated by patch included to CD) is not not quite compatible with maphack: you can see only players location, but maphack can be properly deactivated.
That means nobody can catch cheater by SS request after he activated maphack, see starting locations and then deactivated maphack.

Another effect is "improper" version is incompatible with warlatency, so people who use "proper" version with activated warlatency will take advantage over "improper" version.

"Proper" version is 2.0.2.0 - is combat or full game updated from blizzard servers directly.
"Improper" version is 2.0.2.1 - is full game updated from original Blizzard CD and probably some custom war2 builds. That includes some localized versions, german as an example.

So the question is should we deny to connect with "improper" versions or not. That will also cause denying combat and other "proper" versions in some specific conditions.

My personal opinion is we should allow to connect as many clients as we can to let people join, at least to let new players know that server is alive and to give people choice what build they prefer to use.
And i also plan to release an antihack software instead of closing anything to fight against cheaters.

Equinox's opinion is we should deny all the versions except "proper" to deny cheaters to disable their maphack to lem them be caught if they will be SS-requested.

Anti Hack not gonna proof anything, only admin will know truth, also anti hack not gonna fix lag and your not gonna be able to caught hacker by your own if anti hack really caught something and WHO???

Antihack WILL inform players who exactly activated hack. Not sure if it will autodrop hackers as an additional feature.

To prevent flood, let's post: 1 member - 1 post.
Other posts will be moved.
You can explain your opinion here, but in 1 post only.
You can edit your post any time if you want.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:54:53 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: To close war2 clients except combat or not to close
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:59:53 AM »
"To close war2 clients except combat or not to close"
Well you stated that not only "Combat" is the "proper" 2.0.2.0 version, so the title is a bit inaccurate.

I also think you forgot to mention the anti-hack project and if/how soon it will be released, what will it do etc.
You should d that, you see this clown here stating that closing the client will be a new era without hacks, when it reality its only a matter of a few yellow dots being gone or kept on the minimap. OTOH, the antihack is definitely a new era-ish step towards a hack-free environment, without any side effects or casualties.
(It would be also a good idea to release a system keeping track of all the hackers ~~month before punishing them, so we'd maybe get a decent list of hackers too.)

As for this thread, you guys keep mentioning the strange "lag" thingy with different clients, it would literally take 10 seconds to record it with warvideo, then another for regular client vid, so we can compare. How hard is that really? I dont like imaginary urban legend arguments. How i understand it, is that the crap client is incompatible with warlatency hence increasing the average lat for ITS USER ONLY. How is that relevant then? It's their choice.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:36:38 AM by CLAW »

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
Anti Hack not gonna proof anything, only admin will know truth, also anti hack not gonna fix lag and your not gonna be able to caught hacker by your own if anti hack really caught something and WHO???

Dont forget it's also a way to start again, a way to rewrite this history.

Never we will forget past, but everyone gonna have a chance to make his own name and be someone.

Even peoples like swift who get caught for hacking.

Everyone gonna be confident, for first time in 10 years, your finnally gonna be able to caught hacker for real.

This is a beginning for something new.

Just think about the fact your gonna finally play this game fairly.

No more hacks, no more lag, everyone on same step, a new era for everyone.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:50 PM »
I think it would be interesting to see how many of the people voting "no", use  2.0.2.1 and what reasons they would have for doing so. I don't really see any valid reason.

Also, if you are scared of losing players, you could put a notice when you log in the game that everyone needs to download and use official combat version or they will not be able to login server as of a specific date. Giving them a month notice or so to get updated.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:16:46 PM by GaNzTheLegend »
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Delete mine too

• Death Knight
  • http://meatspin.com
    • View Profile
    • http://meatspin.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »
So what is this anti hack about. Watching known hacks and monitoring our system???

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
I would imagine having everyone on one client would benefit IL and team as well when it comes to development, testing, troubleshooting problems, etc.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
For continued discussion about the clients and the issues in this poll, you can go to the other thread:
http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,666.0.html

iL and Equinox agreed to keep this poll to one post per poster.

Offline RipE[Eur0]

• Berserker
  • LAWL! LICK MY RIPESTICKZ0R H0M0 :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:56:06 PM »
i voted for allowing all versions. mainly cuz i dont wanna lose the germans. they use old war2 for german hotkeys and got used to it. i can understand them.

if u make german combat version then ok.

what, antihack??? nice. first time ever ive heard u have succeeded.

im too lazy to read all the msgs. but, if u manage to make some antihack shit inside combat. then yes. one version for all. but wouldnt it be easy to give germans their german hotkeys there?!?....

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
To start off, it might be better to just enforce proper verison during tournament matches. To prevent new players from logging on but require "correct" version if they wanna play with legacy Ru players.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline USA~Archer

• Grunt
  • Don't shoot the sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 03:30:01 PM »
Voted for closing War2 to only support War2CE

How many active players do we have on other clients? Is there anyway to know. If not many, who cares, drop them. It is better to have more control and making the game fair.

Interesting point from RipE about german players tho

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »
The reason I am voting to close is:

* Anti-hack is preferred solution, but I don't know if it will be ready today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year...
* We could begin advising people to switch clients starting the end of this vote, April 18, and switch over by May 1
* Warcrap is widespread.  We have posters on this forum spreading it
* With Warcrap and Combat, the map hack cannot be turned off after game begins (units will disappear)
* This change would block mainstream hackers and make screenshots meaningful
* Once you have everyone on one version of the game, you can possibly do new things with that (ie force updates w/ anti-hack utilities, etc)

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 03:01:54 AM »
I had no idea that people with a non-combat version could freely toggle. If this is true, and there are no other major ramifications, then there is no question. Remove all versions outside of combat.
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 03:26:58 AM »
well, the poll result is 11-13 anyway, stop beating a dead horse!

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
Even though more people want to block off the hackable version than want to keep it available lol

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »
rules are rules, if you start an official poll that lasts an entire month, you have to respect its results. otherwise its pointless and dictatorship-ish, which i dont mind personally, but youre all squeaking about democracy and 'voice of the people', so..