Author Topic: Discussion from: To close war2 clients except combat or not to close  (Read 38490 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion from: To close war2 clients except combat or not to close
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
I noticed Player's vote said to block that client and his reason was "It's not hard to download/install war2combat."

That's definitely true.

What are some (non-hacking) reasons people would not download war2combat?  Anyone know?

-don't know where to download the client
--but, if they have a version of war2 with server.war2.ru gateway added, they know who we are and should be able to find the download

-don't know why their log in is failing
--think they are banned, or that the server is down.
--may decide to try again later, still can't get on, eventually just say forget it
---if so, how can we prevent this?  possible banner ads/warning campaign before blocking that client

-like to have original music
--but original music is available on server.war2.ru downloads

-i know original war2 was released for apple computers, does that still work?
--if so, banning wrong versions of client could end war2 for apple users unless they install virtual windows for mac

-virus check etc, some programs will block war2combat as a program that has not been downloaded enough times or flag it for other reasons
--is this still happening?

-Native language versions

-anything else??

Offline GetReady

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 11:50:33 AM »
1: It's pretty easy, Google: Warcraft II free.

2: There alot of different options if it really happen, Send E-mail to war2ru email list, use your official website, use your official forum.

3: I am enginner sound, i already told to il i can do better then the original game, i can recreate or i can do something new, even better i can do both.

4: Warcraft II was working with macintosh aka mac os, there a difference between macintosh and mac, i doubt people still use macintosh in 2015, if it's still work with mac, so they can download for free a mac converter into windows, il can also work on war2ru mac version instead to work on anti hack for no reason.

5: I got virus warning when i download everything in exe file, you dont want warning, just zip your exe.

6: Everyone should play with the same version since different version have different hotkey, by exemple french version is way easier to play compare to english one. Hotkeys are easier and faster to do, if they cant learn original version like me, the worst english men ever, so they can made an add on like german do.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:52:08 AM by GetReady »

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »
If everyone is on Combat and the same version, could we then, when we update Combat, use the log-in "checking version" and tell them an update is available, from within the client, and initiate the download/update?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:47:04 PM by blid »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »
I think it would be interesting to see how many of the people voting "no", use  2.0.2.1 and what reasons they would have for doing so. I don't really see any valid reason.
A valid reason is to let people use version they like. Yes, you can make some manipulations with MPQ to attach german keyboard to combat, you can also repack MPQ to add music or videos or w/e you want to play with.
You can also make some research to convert russian version supported windowed mode and steam overlay to 2.0.2.1 probably.
You can also disable UAC and DEP in your windows7 to make it work from program files as a default path.
But you should be at least an avdanced user, otherwise you just realize it's not possible or too complicated, install combat and refuse version you liked.

Another valid reason is if you are newbie: you just click the 1-st server line, get red obscure error message, something about improper version, try to click other servers, get several more red error messages and think that network is not work for this game.

Also, if you are scared of losing players, you could put a notice when you log in the game
Unfortunately war2 doesn't support custom messages while connecting the server. You just get standard one, feels something broken and closes that.

Anti Hack not gonna proof anything, only admin will know truth, also anti hack not gonna fix lag and your not gonna be able to caught hacker by your own if anti hack really caught something and WHO???
Antihack should show active hacks to anyone playing in the same game BTW. Everybody can try it.
I'll announce to test that when i make it.
Lag is not something related to versions, you probably mean warlatency incompatibility, it's not related to lagging.

So what is this anti hack about. Watching known hacks and monitoring our system???
Yes, something like that.
Watching known hacks, reporting to the server about that.

I would imagine having everyone on one client would benefit IL and team as well when it comes to development, testing, troubleshooting problems, etc.
I'd say different versions could have different problems. So some individual problem with combat could be resovled by using different version.
And closing version will not let to do that.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 05:03:39 PM »
Another valid reason is if you are newbie: you just click the 1-st server line, get red obscure error message, something about improper version, try to click other servers, get several more red error messages and think that network is not work for this game.

Is this a War2Combat issue?

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
No, it's if you got War2 some other way but have server.war2.ru on your Gateway list somehow.  That part of the problem goes back to my point 1, not the biggest issue since these people must know what server.war2.ru is (or else how would they even have it as an option?).  Bigger problem is the last bit of iL's message and my point 2, they don't know why it's not working and think the server is down.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:16:27 PM by blid »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:30 PM »
Is this a War2Combat issue?
It's how server handles incompatible version. It denies it and then war2 shows you that message.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »
8-9 this is close
Kali IGL Stats

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »
8-9 this is close

I forgot i didn't vote :-\

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
8-9 this is close

I forgot i didn't vote :-\

Still tight even if *no* side have two smurfs almost only custom players and all the haters from forum.

These 2 smurf, Teron-Gorefiend and DESTROYER SOMETHING not should be allow in this pool untill they get their real account.

Yes side are all real players, old gow players and most of them sign to forum just to vote in this pool.

It suppose to be 8-8.

For someone who was alone in is delusional request, i think you guys can apologies now.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:44:14 PM by Equinox »
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »
Teron-Gorefiend's normal record is now 202/176/33 (50 draws)

Seems like he's played a lot of games to me.  How can you discount his vote?  Not sure who the other one is. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:48:55 PM by blid »

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
I can do 200 games 4 days... Its not about how much games you play but about who you are. Who did know him? Maybe Terror gorefiend and destroyer are the same guy, who know.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:47 PM »
Ganz doesn't even play though, and he voted.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 10:49:16 PM »
So take off the iL vote and the future moustopher one.

Also ganz and il are not smurf, we all know them as a real identity.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:52:06 PM by Equinox »

Offline Teron-Gorefiend

• Grunt
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 12:09:14 AM »
I said that he will try to manipulate the votes earlier. EVERYBODY should be allowed to VOTE ONCE. Il is ensuring nobody votes twice. I am known on the server. I have many friends. Sorry my votes and others too should count.
This is the reason I ended it all.

The newb, the mad and the retired.