Author Topic: Add a calendar.  (Read 21268 times)

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
Re: Add a calendar.
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
Peoples can talkshit if they want, but if it was not of me, you guys were still on occult forum and nobody will take cares of you.

Lmfao

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
Where/when is the calandar being added?
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »
Where/when is the calandar being added?

We're making a lot of progress on the calendar and it's still in the works.  From what I understand, it will be embedded somewhere on the en.war2.ru homepage.  I'm not sure yet when it will be added.  I would like to add it to the forum as well but from what I've gathered on it, we're currently unable to do so.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions for the calender.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 01:07:07 PM »
For the forums can't you just use SMF calendar ?
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:43 PM »
The idea is to get something synchronized so someone can put in a tournament once and have it appear on the website, forum, facebook?, etc

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »
The idea is to get something synchronized so someone can put in a tournament once and have it appear on the website, forum, facebook?, etc

Obviously, but mousetopher said she can't do it so I am offering an alternative suggstion okay? Also, there are probably going to be like 3-4 events a month max so having a seperate one of the forums isn't a big deal. Not going to take more than a minute to enter the events every month.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »
Obviously, but mousetopher said she can't do it so I am offering an alternative suggstion okay? Also, there are probably going to be like 3-4 events a month max so having a seperate one of the forums isn't a big deal. Not going to take more than a minute to enter the events every month.

I'm not sure what the procedure would be for giving community members access to post on the SMF calendar.  It may be something that would fall onto the admins. 

I prefer simplicity and minimizing the amount of steps that it takes to accomplish something (especially if it's something I do routinely).  Less is more.  Don't get me wrong, this could work if we had a volunteer willing to keep up with it but adding on another step is something that I'm not personally willing to do.

Here is a solution that came to mind while posting this:  Why not add an external link to the Google Calendar on the forum?  At least we'll then have some form of access to it on the forum. 

Syncing Google Calendar with SMF Calendar may be possible one day and I plan to request this feature from Simple Machines.  Many would like to be able to do this on their own forums and I think with enough support it may become possible.

Offline USA~Archer

• Grunt
  • Don't shoot the sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
Upvote

The calendar is very important. I'm sorry to say I don't see War2 continuously growing. What will keep this small community alive is TOURNAMENTS. Set periods of time where we push for people to login for a few days per month.

It is AMAZING that there are enough players that most of the time, I can still just log in and play with someone almost right away! However, as things trend downward this will no longer be the case. As it is, there are times that I log in and no ones really playing (however this is probably related to the fact that the majority of the community is on the other side of the world as me)

In the future, there may not be enough players for us to log in and play whenever we want. Tournaments will be what gets people together online at the same time. Once tournaments die, then we all just have to email eachother or something to schedule matches.

From a Web Design perspective:

Downvote on a manual forum calendar BIGTIME, it may only take a few minutes to manually transfer info to a forum calendar - but those few minutes are a waste of time and admins have enough to do without having to do that too

Upvote on putting a link to the calendar as a forum topic LIKE DOWNLOADS, simple, problem solved, no manual updates needed

Upvote on putting the Calendar on the frontpage of War2.ru / en.war2.ru

Upvote on highlighting tournaments on the frontpage
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:05:12 PM by USA~Archer »

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 11:08:44 PM »
Embedding the calendar into the forum isn't a problem at all, I didn't mean to imply that it was, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Pretty sure it can be on its own stand-alone page, like the arcade. Got it set up on the site here: http://en.war2.ru/upcoming-events/

There's an (old) existing plugin for syncing SMF calendar to Gcal which could be a nice solution, but it'd need testing & possibly updating before we could implement it. If it does work, then calendar-posting priviledges can be granted to certain users that would benefit from them (like people who want to host tournies). All events can be added via the forum and they'll automatically pushed to Gcal, which in turn is embedded to the website. Simple, effective & nonredundant. For now though, we can just embed the Gcal in both locations.
squeak!

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »
Sounds great will help out however I can.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 12:01:34 AM »

Embedding the calendar into the forum isn't a problem at all, I didn't mean to imply that it was, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Pretty sure it can be on its own stand-alone page, like the arcade. Got it set up on the site here: http://en.war2.ru/upcoming-events/

There's an (old) existing plugin for syncing SMF calendar to Gcal which could be a nice solution, but it'd need testing & possibly updating before we could implement it. If it does work, then calendar-posting priviledges can be granted to certain users that would benefit from them (like people who want to host tournies). All events can be added via the forum and they'll automatically pushed to Gcal, which in turn is embedded to the website. Simple, effective & nonredundant. For now though, we can just embed the Gcal in both locations.

Awesome.  This would be even better.  I wasn't sure there was a way to give users permissions to post events on the SMF calendar.  I suppose the gCalSync mod is worth trying out then. 

The calendar looks great on the site.  I didn't know it could be mixed in like that with the design of the website.  Bravo on all of the hard work and thanks for allowing me to help contribute to this project.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:28 AM »
Sounds great will help out however I can.

I've been trying to get in touch with you about syncing the calendar with Facebook Events.  It looks like I'm able to create an event for the War2 Facebook page without any special privileges.  This could be another option for players who host tournaments.  They could create the Facebook event and have it added to the Google Calendar automatically.

Now that I'm really researching this, I think I may be able to take care of this on my own.  I'm not really sure we can sync to the calendar directly from the War2 Facebook page when an event is created.  However, I could create a Facebook account and subscribe to the War2 Facebook Events and easily sync it that way.