Author Topic: WarCraft II Event Calendar Discussion  (Read 17343 times)

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
WarCraft II Event Calendar Discussion
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »
Hola all,

I'm working on a calendar that will be added to the website and forum.  This calendar will be used to keep players updated on all events that take place on the server.  However, I would also like to add other dates relevant to War2's history like the anniversary of the game release or anniversary of this server.  I will try to add what I can from my own research but I thought I would create this thread to see if there are any special dates that any members of the community feel should be added to this calendar. 

Please reply to this thread with any dates you feel should be added to the calendar.  I'm also welcome to new ideas.  If there is anything you think would help make this calendar better, please let me know.

A little more background on this post from the Forum Affairs board: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,698.0.html

Link to the calendar: https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dbpishcmdji751baiajg219gp0%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: WarCraft II Event Calendar Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »
You can use this calendar for tournament, league, new softwares ( when it came out  ), pools, people whos get ban (when it start and when it end) ranking to let know when someone is now the new #1 etc etc and probably way much mores.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
You can use this calendar for tournament, league, new softwares ( when it came out  ), pools, people whos get ban (when it start and when it end) ranking to let know when someone is now the new #1 etc etc and probably way much mores.

There are a lot of nice ideas there but I think we should try to keep it as simple as possible.  I am able to regularly update this calendar but not routinely for things such as positions in ladder rankings or player bans.  I also feel these things are a bit unnecessary.  Anniversaries are something I can set to occur year after year.  I think the best idea you have is the polling start and end dates.  I did a little bit of research about having the polling dates automatically added but I was unable to find a workable solution for it.  I did toy with the idea of creating a link on the website and forum for Google Polls but I think it would present too many problems.  I'm not even sure the poll dates could even be added to Google Calendar this way.  I think a good alternative to this idea would be to create a board on the forum dedicated to polls.  Polling would be much more organized instead of having all of the polls scattered around on different boards.  A link to the polling board could even be added to the website urging players to participate in voting.  I'm not sure how much work is involved in doing this, but for more exposure, I'm sure there's a way to add a "Latest Poll: Title of Poll" feature in the welcome message for the War2Bne channel. 

What do you guys think about adding holidays to the calendar?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:02:53 PM by Rit »

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »

There are a lot of nice ideas there but I think we should try to keep it as simple as possible.  I am able to regularly update this calendar but not routinely for things such as positions in ladder rankings or player bans.  I also feel these things are a bit unnecessary.  Anniversaries are something I can set to occur year after year.  I think the best idea you have is the polling start and end dates.  I did a little bit of research about having the polling dates automatically added but I was unable to find a workable solution for it.  I did toy with the idea of creating a link on the website and forum for Google Polls but I think it would present too many problems.  I'm not even sure the poll dates could even be added to Google Calendar this way.  I think a good alternative to this idea would be to create a board on the forum dedicated to polls.  Polling would be much more organized instead of having all of the polls scattered around on different boards.  A link to the polling board could even be added to the website urging players to participate in voting.  I'm not sure how much work is involved in doing this, but for more exposure, I'm sure there's a way to add a "Latest Poll: Title of Poll" feature in the welcome message for the War2Bne channel. 

What do you guys think about adding holidays to the calendar?

The ladder rank is an idea between much more, i admit is maybe too much for now, but with more admins to take cares of it, it's a great way to keep focus on the ladder.

For the banning i dont agree, admins or banning people of this community and dint even tell why or for how much time, if my best friend get ban i want to know why and how much time and i want to know when the ban start and when it end.

Banning is one of the most important thing you have to add in this calendar.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:08:36 PM by Equinox »

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:51:35 PM »
I don't see a reason to offer this luxury to people who get banned when you take into consideration that they are people who have hacked, spammed, harassed other players, or violated any of the server rules (even though I don't agree with all of them).  They wouldn't have to worry about when their ban is going to be lifted or even banned to begin with if they grew out of their 12 year old mindset and acted like the actual adults they never became.  In fact, I think it does them a favor to get away from this game without a deadline for when they can come back.  Perhaps they will discover something more valuable to do with their time.

Really, though, I don't see myself routinely updating ban start and end dates nor the admins keeping me updated about them.  This is something that I know for a fact would not get updated.  Any type of automation on the calendar can be done but it really depends on what you're willing to go through to have it.  Way too much work for a feature we could do without.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 06:09:48 PM »
I don't see a reason to offer this luxury to people who get banned when you take into consideration that they are people who have hacked, spammed, harassed other players, or violated any of the server rules (even though I don't agree with all of them).  They wouldn't have to worry about when their ban is going to be lifted or even banned to begin with if they grew out of their 12 year old mindset and acted like the actual adults they never became.  In fact, I think it does them a favor to get away from this game without a deadline for when they can come back.  Perhaps they will discover something more valuable to do with their time.

Really, though, I don't see myself routinely updating ban start and end dates nor the admins keeping me updated about them.  This is something that I know for a fact would not get updated.  Any type of automation on the calendar can be done but it really depends on what you're willing to go through to have it.  Way too much work for a feature we could do without.

If you cant do something right, why do you want to do it? I can certainly do everything i just said 2 post ago and alone.

This is not because peoples get ban they dont have the right to have the good justice.

If you think because someone get ban we have to forget him so you will be one of these guy who contribute to kill this game even if you made a little calendar.

You want to made a calendar for us, it's ok, cool, thank you, but dont try to make your own rules, people who get ban have the right to get ban rightly, this calendar is a way to make banning official with rules for the entire community.

I appreciated the fact you want to help us, but i dont appreciated your bullshiting when your nobody yet.

Get your real account and maybe your gonna have the right to take important decision like this.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:12:21 PM by Equinox »

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »

If you cant do something right, why do you want to do it? I can certainly do everything i just said 2 post ago and alone.

This is not because peoples get ban they dont have the right to have the good justice.

If you think because someone get ban we have to forget him so you will be one of these guy who contribute to kill this game even if you made a little calendar.

You want to made a calendar for us, it's ok, cool, but dont try to make your own rules, people who get ban have the right to get ban rightly, this calendar is a way to make banning official with rules for the entire community.

I appreciated the fact you want to help us, but i dont appreciated your bullshiting when your nobody yet.

Get your real account and maybe your gonna have the right to take important decision like this.

You were given the option to do this calendar on your own yet you ignored it and somehow now claim that you are capable of doing everything that you've listed here.  It's like walking through your house and you keep bumping into a chair each time you walk by it.  You complain about it each time.  You may even put the chair itself at fault.  Yet, you won't move it over a little or somewhere else to avoid the grievance.  We need to shift our focus to a better way of doing something rather than complaining and accomplishing nothing.  You're thinking too big and I've seen projects such as this and websites fail due to this type of thinking. 

Instead of focusing your energy on becoming hostile with everyone who disagrees with you, we can instead brainstorm on another way to solve this issue.  For instance, League of Legends has a tribunal system where players are reported for breaking rules and players are able to review the case and decide whether or not to punish that player for their actions.  The same could be done here by just adding a board where players can post a poll, screenshot, and reason for wanting the ban.  The community then votes on it with a deadline and when the deadline is up, the admin bans (or doesn't ban) them for x amount days.  There can also be a guideline set up for the amount of time a player gets banned depending on the offense.  This solves the problem of having better justice administered and will allow banned players to be aware of the amount of time they have been banned for.  By doing this, we've even eliminated the need for server rules altogether and promoted more community involvement.  I think enough of us on here possess enough common sense to know what we want and don't want happening on this server. 

As for me being nobody, I'm actually a long time veteran of this game and have been playing since 1999.  I've devoted my time to helping out in tournaments over the years and have never received a ban on this server.  I've promoted this server through YouTube on my own time as well.  The only reason you don't know me is due to the fact that I couldn't even get my account approved on the old forums. 

So, in your own way here, are you offering to keep up with the ban start and end dates on the calendar?  I could give you access to posting on the calender in order to do this but I prefer the above idea I stated in the second paragraph.  I am willing to work with you if you'd like to become involved with anything I'm working on as long as you can be civil.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:44:05 PM by Rit »

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »

You want to made a calendar for us, it's ok, cool, but dont try to make your own rules, people who get ban have the right to get ban rightly, this calendar is a way to make banning official with rules for the entire community.

You were given the option to do this calendar on your own yet you ignored it and somehow now claim that you are capable of doing everything that you've listed here.  It's like walking through your house and you keep bumping into a chair each time you walk by it.  You complain about it each time.  You may even put the chair itself at fault.  Yet, you won't move it over a little or somewhere else to avoid the grievance.  We need to shift our focus to a better way of doing something rather than complaining and accomplishing nothing.  You're thinking too big and I've seen projects such as this and websites fail due to this type of thinking. 

Instead of focusing your energy on becoming hostile with everyone who disagrees with you, we can instead brainstorm on another way to solve this issue.  For instance, League of Legends has a tribunal system where players are reported for breaking rules and players are able to review the case and decide whether or not to punish that player for their actions.  The same could be done here by just adding a board where players can post a poll, screenshot, and reason for wanting the ban.  The community then votes on it with a deadline and when the deadline is up, the admin bans (or doesn't ban) them for x amount days.  There can also be a guideline set up for the amount of time a player gets banned depending on the offense.  This solves the problem of having better justice administered and will allow banned players to be aware of the amount of time they have been banned for.  By doing this, we've even eliminated the need for server rules altogether and promoted more community involvement.  I think enough of us on here possess enough common sense to know what we want and don't want happening on this server. 

As for me being nobody, I'm actually a long time veteran of this game and have been playing since 1999.  I've devoted my time to helping out in tournaments over the years and have never received a ban on this server.  I've promoted this server through YouTube on my own time as well.  The only reason you don't know me is due to the fact that I couldn't even get my account approved on the old forums. 

So, in your own way here, are you offering to keep up with the ban start and end dates on the calendar?  I could give you access to posting on the calender in order to do this but I prefer the above idea I stated in the second paragraph.  I am willing to work with you if you'd like to become involved with anything I'm working on as long as you can be civil.

I dint do it myself because this staff dont deserve my help for now.

She already told me it was a bad idea, she just using you to make me mad, did you dont see? If you want to help someone with this calendar is me, if you want a general opinion on the idea is me... You know why?? Because she dint even cares!!!

So please mr veteran, we all play since 1999, only difference is we still play since 1999.

Take your spot if you want, im all good with this, but dont fuck with my idea to be someone, if you want to make it, make it right or dont waste your time.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:27:06 PM by Equinox »

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
Your a bitch Equinox, so hes gonna do it, you're not even a someone, Rit is. You're a hacker, Rit isn't. And he's also played longer then you. Now if you would be so kind as you claim you are, leave him the fuck alone.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:15:16 PM »

She already told me it was a bad idea, she just using you to make me mad, did you dont see? If you want to help someone with this calendar is me, if you want a general opinion on the idea is me... You know why?? Because she dint even cares!!!

So please mr veteran, we all play since 1999, only difference is we still play since 1999.

Take your spot if you want, im all good with this, but dont fuck with my idea to be someone, if you want to make it, make it right or dont waste your time.

Replying to your posts or even acknowledging you on this forum is obviously a waste of my time. 

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »

Replying to your posts or even acknowledging you on this forum is obviously a waste of my time.

Good so consider this project down because it's look like i am the only one who cares about this project, thank you, we dont need it anymore.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 10:17:50 PM »
Your a bitch Equinox, so hes gonna do it, you're not even a someone, Rit is. You're a hacker, Rit isn't. And he's also played longer then you. Now if you would be so kind as you claim you are, leave him the fuck alone.

Hola Winchester.  What do you think about adding holidays?  Feel free to recommend specific dates that you think are relevant to the community.

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:41:48 PM »
Christmas/New Years would be the obvious ones usually, Easters coming up shortly, so maybe throw those in

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 10:44:19 PM »
Christmas/New Years would be the obvious ones usually, Easters coming up shortly, so maybe throw those in

People must be complete outcasts if they spend their holiday times playing a 20 year old game.

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 11:06:50 PM »

Done. I also added Halloween and Thanksgiving.