Author Topic: WarCraft II Event Calendar Discussion  (Read 17367 times)

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: WarCraft II Event Calendar Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »
Christmas/New Years would be the obvious ones usually, Easters coming up shortly, so maybe throw those in

People must be complete outcasts if they spend their holiday times playing a 20 year old game.

We clearly know Equinox will be doing it

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 12:58:17 AM »
Christmas/New Years would be the obvious ones usually, Easters coming up shortly, so maybe throw those in

Done. I also added Halloween and Thanksgiving.

Good im gonna throw my memories and my home calendar to garbage, just to be sure....

Like if your holydays is more important of a real calendar for war2...

God fucking damn it, here a clone of moustopher.

Actually, it's probably moustopher trying to take my idea like a rats.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 01:03:17 AM »
Don't you have something more important to be doing? Like I dunno, paying off your debt to the hells angels? Theres only so much cock you can suck for extra time to pay your debt off. Oh well, enjoy the beating they give you

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 05:05:57 AM »
Replying to your posts or even acknowledging you on this forum is obviously a waste of my time
took you a while, rit, glad finally you realized that!

@tribunal idea: we don't have enough eople in the community. In League the community votes go in 10's of thousands to avoid variance/grief/people having a bad day, that's one.
Another argument against it is that cases there are ANONYMOUS, it would be literally impossible to have that here. People may be (or in my case - are) biased and vote punish no matter what, just because they dislike the player.

There's good stuff related to it obviously, but those two arguments outweight it imo
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:07:28 AM by CLAW »

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:35 AM »
However, I would also like to add other dates relevant to War2's history like the anniversary of the game release or anniversary of this server.  I will try to add what I can from my own research but I thought I would create this thread to see if there are any special dates that any members of the community feel should be added to this calendar.

Good thought! Some generic dates would be release of WC, WC2, expansion pack, Kali, BNE. Could also include info related to some of the major fan contributions, like the Occult, Kpuds, etc. There's probably others but I didn't start playing 'til '04, I think most of the boom was before that. Burnt or iL might have a launch date for war2.ru. The WC2 Festival is an important entry too; I know it's in July each year but the specific date probably varies, so that one may have to be added manually. Have you talked with Burnt yet about the calendar in general? 

A great way to make the calendar idea more useful & practical would be to delegate the ability to add events to the users that might use it, like USA-Archer who's running his own tournies. The built-in SMF calendar would be great for that but embed options are pretty limited. If a two way sync could be set up between SMF calendar and GCal that'd be perfect, but it'd take some fancy coding if it's even possible.

A link to the polling board could even be added to the website urging players to participate in voting.  I'm not sure how much work is involved in doing this, but for more exposure, I'm sure there's a way to add a "Latest Poll: Title of Poll" feature in the welcome message for the War2Bne channel. 

Probably doable, but that's iL's domain. Embedding a poll into the website is definitely possible and something I can do; probably have to hand-pick relevant polls by ID for that, like the client vote.
squeak!

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 09:00:40 AM »
However, I would also like to add other dates relevant to War2's history like the anniversary of the game release or anniversary of this server.  I will try to add what I can from my own research but I thought I would create this thread to see if there are any special dates that any members of the community feel should be added to this calendar.

Good thought! Some generic dates would be release of WC, WC2, expansion pack, Kali, BNE. Could also include info related to some of the major fan contributions, like the Occult, Kpuds, etc. There's probably others but I didn't start playing 'til '04, I think most of the boom was before that. Burnt or iL might have a launch date for war2.ru. The WC2 Festival is an important entry too; I know it's in July each year but the specific date probably varies, so that one may have to be added manually. Have you talked with Burnt yet about the calendar in general? 

A great way to make the calendar idea more useful & practical would be to delegate the ability to add events to the users that might use it, like USA-Archer who's running his own tournies. The built-in SMF calendar would be great for that but embed options are pretty limited. If a two way sync could be set up between SMF calendar and GCal that'd be perfect, but it'd take some fancy coding if it's even possible.

A link to the polling board could even be added to the website urging players to participate in voting.  I'm not sure how much work is involved in doing this, but for more exposure, I'm sure there's a way to add a "Latest Poll: Title of Poll" feature in the welcome message for the War2Bne channel. 

Probably doable, but that's iL's domain. Embedding a poll into the website is definitely possible and something I can do; probably have to hand-pick relevant polls by ID for that, like the client vote.

shut up moron
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »

This is exactly the type of response I've been waiting for on this thread.  I will research all of these dates and add them to the calendar today.  We could post things like this in the format This Day In WarCraft II: WarCraft II First Released 1995 or something like that.

Great recommendation.  I will talk to USA-Archer about this.  It looks like it's possible to sync SMF calendar and Google Calendar but we would only be able to sync the events to the Google Calendar by posting them from the SMF calendar.  I have read that there are problems with user permissions though as it involves using gCalSync.  I don't recommend even trying it.  I've only been able to research information from a few years back.  I've posted this on the Simple Machines forum to see if we're able to do something like this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=535150.0

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 03:13:25 PM »
@tribunal idea: we don't have enough eople in the community. In League the community votes go in 10's of thousands to avoid variance/grief/people having a bad day, that's one.
Another argument against it is that cases there are ANONYMOUS, it would be literally impossible to have that here. People may be (or in my case - are) biased and vote punish no matter what, just because they dislike the player.

There's good stuff related to it obviously, but those two arguments outweight it imo

Some valid points but I think it could still work in our current state and to the benefit of our current state.  We've had some polls on here already and I think the results of them have been pretty justified.  Here are a few pros to doing this:

1. Gives players who are not already on the forum more of a reason to participate. 
2. Certain people will no longer cry about the admins being biased.  I'm sure they'll shift it into some other grievance but it's hopefully a step toward reducing the negative impact the subject is having on the server. 
3. Eliminates server rules.  Ganz could no longer claim there isn't a rule for karma.

Admins could still participate in the vote.  I don't see a reason to make it anonymous (it would be nice though).  After a member of community presents their case, other members are able to debate the case while the vote is in progress.  I think most members can distinguish the rational arguments from the irrational and a fair punishment will be served. 

For instance, if I go to present my case on the forum with my screenshot (from a certain folder o_o) like the one attached here I could say "Look! Claw is hacking! Ban this fool!".  Someone like myself would argue that this is not actual proof that you have been caught hacking.  In all likelihood, even considering the bias of a few people, I don't think the majority will vote to ban you.

I think the administration at this point makes good decisions but I've also seen some irrational decisions made over the years such as Dugs banning someone without proof (also attached). 

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »
1. Gives players who are not already on the forum more of a reason to participate. 
2. Certain people will no longer cry about the admins being biased.  I'm sure they'll shift it into some other grievance but it's hopefully a step toward reducing the negative impact the subject is having on the server. 
I dont care if community wants or doesnt want to participate, theyre free to register, free to post, free to join and play in the tournaments. I am not a democrat and would never give power to the people. I prefer admin/mod system with transparent decisions and i always speak up the moment i see incoherence or injustice.
Funny how you say things like:
"  Someone like myself would argue that this is not actual proof that you have been caught hacking"
but totally forget what your initial reason to start the "klaw" album was. It was to prove that i was indeed a hacker and to get me banned, so you yourself were among the biased, retarded people.

3. Eliminates server rules.  Ganz could no longer claim there isn't a rule for karma.
let him claim whatever, he's simply wrong and no matter how many people claim that, they will still be wrong. Most of the people are retarded, biased fucktards and giving them real voting power would be destructive. My 3 cents, but iL seems to have faith in the masses, so who knows what he's going to decide.
We actually have a demonstration of what votes of the masses look like. See the rules thread - people decided that's the rules they want and then bitch about admins executing them. Pathetic.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
I dont care if community wants or doesnt want to participate, theyre free to register, free to post, free to join and play in the tournaments. I am not a democrat and would never give power to the people. I prefer admin/mod system with transparent decisions and i always speak up the moment i see incoherence or injustice.

Thanks for your input on this.  I suppose we agree to disagree.  You do make a good point and this also works fine but I still prefer my idea over it for reasons I've already specified.

Funny how you say things like:
"  Someone like myself would argue that this is not actual proof that you have been caught hacking"
but totally forget what your initial reason to start the "klaw" album was. It was to prove that i was indeed a hacker and to get me banned, so you yourself were among the biased, retarded people.

When you claim you hack, people begin to believe it.  The album is more of a joke to me at this point and really meant as a joke here.  A lot of epic Claw moments in that album.  I was never able to gain any solid proof and that's the reason I've never brought it to the attention of the admins.  I wouldn't get too worked up about it. ;)

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 09:30:37 PM »
The following dates have now been added to the calendar:

December 9, 1995 - WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness NA Release for PC and Mac
December 9 1996 - WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness EU Release for PC and Mac
August 31, 1997 - WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness Release for Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn
August 31, 1997 - WarCraft II Tides of Darkness EU Release for Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn
November 27, 1997 - WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness JP Release for Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn

These are dates that I was able to pull off of the Wikipedia page.  There are still more to come.  While viewing these dates on the calendar, please take note that you can see a full description of the event if you click on it.  Feedback is welcome.  Please let me know if you think I should change anything or format anything in a certain way.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:41:18 PM by Rit »

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »
The following dates have just been added to the calendar:

April 30, 1996 - WarCraft II: Beyond The Dark Portal Expansion Set NA Release
April 30, 1997 - WarCraft II: Beyond The Dark Portal Expansion Set EU Release
October 8, 1999 - WarCraft II: Battle.Net Edition Release

I've also changed the format of the events and descriptions.   

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »
Good stuff. Is the 60men tourney on there? It's sometime this month right?
squeak!

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
Archer has access to post events on the calendar but I'm not sure if he has posted anything yet.

Offline USA~Archer

• Grunt
  • Don't shoot the sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »
The 60men tournament begins April 10, (i just picked the first friday that im available to manage it)

I tried to add to the calendar today but it said my token was invalid or something (maybe i waited too long to click the invitation link)

If u can add my tournament start date thatd be cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk