Author Topic: War2CE freezes and requires me to reboot PC [sometimes] Windows 7 x64  (Read 12071 times)

Offline USA~Archer

• Grunt
  • Don't shoot the sheep!
    • View Profile
Anyone else have this problem? It happens regularly but not everytime I play War2.

More than once I have lost work that I was doing in the background so it makes me very nervous. I make sure I save work now before playing War2

I remember this happening back when I played War2RU for the first time in 2010 also

Offline Winchester

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: War2CE freezes and requires me to reboot PC [sometimes] Windows 7 x64
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »
This happened on my Windows XP desktop and on my Windows 7 Laptop, I never managed to end up fixing it on those. Lucky my windows 8 doesn't have this problem as well. I'm  clueless how to fix it, but I know the problem your talking about

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »
sounds weird.

id recommend do a thorough check on your hard disk.

its done by My PC -> rightclick your hard drive -> properties -> tools -> Check disk > checkbox scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors
it will tell you to schedule. do and reboot computer

takes several hours to complete.

afterwards, you have to check the log to see if there were any bad sectors found.
this is how to check that log
http://www.justin.my/2010/08/scandisk-chkdsk-log-file-in-windows-7/

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:06:19 PM »
Anyone else have this problem? It happens regularly but not everytime I play War2.

More than once I have lost work that I was doing in the background so it makes me very nervous. I make sure I save work now before playing War2

I remember this happening back when I played War2RU for the first time in 2010 also

Hola Archer.  I just wanted to check in and make sure that you are no longer experiencing this problem.  If the problem isn't solved by the Disk Check, it's possible that the hard drive may be going bad.  Most computers come with a feature that detects bad hardware called SMART Technology (probably listed as "SMART Mode" in the bios.  While enabled, it will notify you of and hardware errors (including a hard drive that's about to fail). 

Is this a laptop or a desktop?  What OS are you running on it?  What's the processor?

Here are a few things you can try after the Disk Check if you run into the problem again:

1. Download Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org.  Run a Malwarebytes scan in safe mode and remove any malware or non-malware from your computer.

2. If you have anti-virus, I recommend running a scan with it.  If you don't, BitDefender has an awesome free anti-virus (they use the same engines as their paid product and their paid product is a close 2nd behind Kaspersky in my book).  I'm also impressed with it's real time malware protection as it's like having Malwarebytes Premium for free.

3.  Download and install CCleaner from www.piriform.com.  Run CCleaner and also cleanup the registry with it.

4. Download and install Driver Booster from www.iobit.com and update your drivers.

Most of this is stability related and the most common solutions for fixing the particular problem you are having. 

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:48:19 PM »
I got this probleme too.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:20:01 AM »
As i see, this looks like a problem when your computer input is being blocked: other programs continue working, you can connect to your computer by network, kill war2 process and computer will work fine after that.

I don't think this is a virus-related problem, i also don't think some reg-cleaner or chkdisk thing will help. Of course try that if you can.

I think looks like this is hardware or driver problem.
Maybe a videodriver, maybe some kind of controller. As i remember, some similar problem caused with old war2insight versions with different CPU cores. Maybe you should try to force process affinity to CPU0, try it.

Also you can try CPU savior: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,409.0.html
Maybe the problem is too high CPU load in some situations.

Can anyone call this problem or get it in every game? This looks like a big problem, but the main problem that we can't call it when we want for debug purposes. Maybe we can add some kind of watchdog into loader to check if war2 hangs up and to kill the process or even debug it...

What we can try is to collect statistics: OS version (xp,7,8), CPU (Intel/AMD), video card (ATI/Nvidia and version), video driver.
I'll try to add this information collecting into my next loader version...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:24:41 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »
As i see, this looks like a problem when your computer input is being blocked: other programs continue working, you can connect to your computer by network, kill war2 process and computer will work fine after that.

I don't think this is a virus-related problem, i also don't think some reg-cleaner or chkdisk thing will help. Of course try that if you can.

I think looks like this is hardware or driver problem.
Maybe a videodriver, maybe some kind of controller. As i remember, some similar problem caused with old war2insight versions with different CPU cores. Maybe you should try to force process affinity to CPU0, try it.

Also you can try CPU savior: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,409.0.html
Maybe the problem is too high CPU load in some situations.

Can anyone call this problem or get it in every game? This looks like a big problem, but the main problem that we can't call it when we want for debug purposes. Maybe we can add some kind of watchdog into loader to check if war2 hangs up and to kill the process or even debug it...

I had this probleme since 3.5, in 3.5 it what only when i was doing alt.tab, sometime when i was comming back to alt tab all my computer get froze, need to unplug the wire.

Since 4.0 it happen directly while im playing.

Sometime it dint happen for 3-4 days, sometime it happen like 3 times on same days.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:26:23 AM by Equinox »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
I had this probleme since 3.5, in 3.5 it what only when i was doing alt.tab, sometime when i was comming back to alt tab all my computer froze, have to unplug the wire...

Did you try full war2 from CD or w/e?
Did it happen before? Did you change your hardware before it began to happen?
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 09:34:38 AM »
I had this probleme since 3.5, in 3.5 it what only when i was doing alt.tab, sometime when i was comming back to alt tab all my computer froze, have to unplug the wire...

Did you try full war2 from CD or w/e?
Did it happen before? Did you change your hardware before it began to happen?

Well no, i have no cd of original war2 anymore, but i had to emulate an iso of the real cd to install the war2bne client like 6 month ago.

I also have 2 computer but i dont use the other one for playing, the computer i use to play right now is a computer i have for the last 2 years.

i remember for the last 2 years it was happen only when i was COMMING BACK from alt tab, ( exemple i am in game, i alt tab 2 sec for music, getting back and froze ) im pretty sure, but since i download 4.0, ( or maybe that iso too) it happen while im playing directly, pretty sure too lol..

But i had no iso before.

I think it's probably a windows 7 problem with patches or graphic card series or something.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:44:03 AM by Equinox »

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »
I used to have the same problem with freezing years ago on some crappy old XP computer. (The freezing on alt+tab thing sounds familiar, it might've done that or that + freezing in game, hard to remember.) I always thought it was XP-specific because XP would lock up like that from time to time anyway, and I never had the problem on Win7. Clearly not though, so some common denominator between the two like a driver is more likely. Data gathering is probably all you can do right now for such a generalized issue.

What version of 7 are you guys using btw? Pro, home, ultimate? Not sure if that makes a difference. I use ultimate & never freeze.
squeak!

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:59 PM »
I used to have the same problem with freezing years ago on some crappy old XP computer. (The freezing on alt+tab thing sounds familiar, it might've done that or that + freezing in game, hard to remember.) I always thought it was XP-specific because XP would lock up like that from time to time anyway, and I never had the problem on Win7. Clearly not though, so some common denominator between the two like a driver is more likely. Data gathering is probably all you can do right now for such a generalized issue.

What version of 7 are you guys using btw? Pro, home, ultimate? Not sure if that makes a difference. I use ultimate & never freeze.
Works fine with Windows 7 Enterprise.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline USA~Archer

• Grunt
  • Don't shoot the sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:34:47 PM »
Windows 7 Ult right now, but in 2010 had the same issue (older version of war2CE) and probably Windows 7 Home

Currently

Win7 ult
Intel i7
Nvidia
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:36:42 PM by USA~Archer »

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »

I got windows 7 family premium edition.

Service pack1.

Offline USA~Archer

• Grunt
  • Don't shoot the sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »
iL

It just happened to me again. I was swithcing screens during a game to start/stop my War2Video. When I switched back to War2, thats when the computer completely froze and had to reboot. I can even hear it sounds like the drive stops spinning

Offline RipE[Eur0]

• Berserker
  • LAWL! LICK MY RIPESTICKZ0R H0M0 :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »
it happens like once in a 100 times i play.
comp just freezes. it is annoying but luckily happens rarely. only shit thing is as u said u lose ur shit uve been doin behind the game.... i think that freeze has something to do with alt tabbing cuz it happens mostly when u alt tab.