Author Topic: New Website!  (Read 14195 times)

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: New Website!
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 10:30:25 AM »
Mouse is right, you want people to download the client, not look at some ladder page or something and get lost. There are links in the menu for people who want more details.
that's what im asking about though, those items are like halfway down the page, way below the header.  the "download now" bit is still the first thing that greets you and on my resolution takes up my entire page pretty much when i load it.  so i dont see the problem with links way down there.  heck id say according to the argument youre making, we should remove the menu links at the top, wouldnt those be more likely to distract visitors?  not that i want those removed either, i just dgi

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »
Mouse is right, you want people to download the client, not look at some ladder page or something and get lost. There are links in the menu for people who want more details.
that's what im asking about though, those items are like halfway down the page, way below the header.  the "download now" bit is still the first thing that greets you and on my resolution takes up my entire page pretty much when i load it.  so i dont see the problem with links way down there.  heck id say according to the argument youre making, we should remove the menu links at the top, wouldnt those be more likely to distract visitors?  not that i want those removed either, i just dgi

there is a big problem, you obviously know nothing about internet marketing or making sales pages.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:47 AM »
Hmm, okay, it's helpful to get user feedback like that. My reasoning is that the home page's primary function is to show new visitor's what the site has to offer -- if they're specifically looking for a WC2 download they have the immediate above-fold "Download Now" button. If they want to find out more about the site they scroll down, read about the server, see screenshots, see all the blurbs with the game/community features. After reading through that they hopefully become reassured that the site's legit and are interested in joining, so when they see the second button ("Getting Started") they're ready to proceed. 

Directing a new visitor to supplemental things like screenshot uploads, bot info, etc. seems pointless because they don't have the game yet so they can't really use them, and it creates more choices for them to make, decreasing the odds they'll make the one we want them to (downloading the client & playing on the server). Plus, I don't see repeat visitors scrolling through several sections of content to get to those links when they're all available in the menu at the top of the page.

Could shift the second button up below the server description though, so we get that second CTA in before giving them the additional options to browse, and then try to tie each of those pages back to the download page with a "Click here to download war2combat" button or something. 
squeak!

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »

Directing a new visitor to supplemental things like screenshot uploads, bot info, etc. seems pointless because they don't have the game yet so they can't really use them, and it creates more choices for them to make, decreasing the odds they'll make the one we want them to (downloading the client & playing on the server). Plus, I don't see repeat visitors scrolling through several sections of content to get to those links when they're all available in the menu at the top of the page.

Exactly, Its fine just listing the features, don't make any links. This is not necessary, a new person is there to download the game he doesn't care about seeing a ladder, or reading about how to use the hosting bot, clicking on these other links instead will lose some people and result in less downloads. Once they download the game they can find these things out later on the site or by using the menus on the top if they want to know more.

Kali IGL Stats

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:44 PM »
Replace the youtube video at the top with this 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:29:16 PM by GaNzTheLegend »
Kali IGL Stats

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
Replace the youtube video at the top with this 

Or after video stops, switch to that icon for download.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »
mouse the buttons are perfect, dont delete, make em clickable.    ;)

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »
dont put dark template on forum plz.
light is good.
its a forum

usafeature tried to do an eyecandy forum for war2custom and it was all laggy and slow. (me running with an intel core i7 cpu and an nvidia 480gtx)

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
light is good.
its a forum

usafeature tried to do an eyecandy forum for war2custom and it was all laggy and slow. (me running with an intel core i7 cpu and an nvidia 480gtx)

because one theme was slow does not mean all themes are slow. thats retard logic. plus computer has nothing to do with how fast it loads, its your internet
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:21:21 PM by GaNzTheLegend »
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
Someone definitly dont understand independant user can have different choices.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline Teron-Gorefiend

• Grunt
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:19 AM »
The theme is perfect. The forum owner chooses his preference on default. As to other templates, his/her call also.
This is the reason I ended it all.

The newb, the mad and the retired.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 04:40:24 AM »
light is good.
its a forum
Makes sence, that's why i talked about poll.
To change the forum theme to something more similar to war2 and site or keep as is?
Just 2 options.

If we have 15/3 for "to change" we should obviously do it.
If we have 4/15 for "as is" we do nothing.
If we have something like "2/3" or w/e that means nodoby cares and we still do nothing.

Polls is a good tool to know the majority wishes when we are not sure of have different opinions.
Reasonable democracy is a great thing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:47:39 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Teron-Gorefiend

• Grunt
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 05:03:10 AM »
Just leave the current template as it is and add some templates that user can select. It is really simple.
This is the reason I ended it all.

The newb, the mad and the retired.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
It would be interesting in a week or two to see the download statastics of the client to compare the new website with the old one to see if it generates more downloads than before.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
How to find articles had been located on the main page before?
Screenshot Policy, port forwarding manual, etc?
I can follow support - tutorials and see several articles with state "Coming soon!".

Would be good to structure all the existing useful content and place it to both top and bottom menus.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:05:16 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.