Author Topic: Community Tournaments Project  (Read 24436 times)

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
Community Tournaments Project
« on: April 04, 2015, 05:38:49 PM »
I thought I'd create a new topic for this as two of the projects I'm working on are related to hosting tournaments.  I might as well combine them at this point.  I will be updating my progress for these projects on this thread from now on.

Please refer to these threads for a little background on the projects I've been working on:

http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,707.0.html
http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,751.0.html

The calendar project has been going well.  We now have a calendar embedded on the server.war2.ru website and players are now able to add events to it by creating events in the War2 Server Facebook group.  A form may eventually be created to submit your event to the calendar.  Notable events in War2’s history are still in the process of being added and I will keep updating the community with those dates as they are added. 

With Challonge.com, players are capable of hosting their own WarCraft II tournaments all in one place.  I’ve done all I can on it for the moment.  I hope to see this incorporated into the website eventually. 

Here is what I think should be seen as the ideal process for hosting tournaments:

1. Create an event in the War2 Server Group on Facebook.  Once created, it will automatically be added to the WarCraft II calendar on the website.

2. Sign up for Challonge.com and submit your username here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zs9JfvucHdBZxa-mDdY2etB3jnDpkri_rea1lcP8vVc/viewform in order to gain permissions to host tournaments in the WarCraft II organization.  (You don't have to do this every time you want to host a tournament.  Once you're added, you're in.)

3. Once approved, create a tournament at http://war2.challonge.com in order to manage the brackets. 

4. Create a thread on the server.war2.ru forum with information about your tournament (date, time, map, etc.) and links to the Facebook event page and Challonge.com tournament registration page.

5. On the day of your tourney send participants to http://en.war2.ru/tournies to view the brackets. (If you're using our Challonge.com War2 group then your tourney brackets will automatically be embedded here and updated in real time.)

I will be hosting a tournament soon to demonstrate this process in hopes that it will inspire more players to do the same and host their own tournaments.  It would be nice to see more community participation, which I feel would be of great benefit to the server. 

I’d also like to propose adding a “Tournaments” section to the forum.  A board for tournament announcements and information would be great as well as links to the WarCraft II Challonge page and tournament host registration form.  These links would also be a nice replacement in the tournaments section on the website.  If we get Challonge embedded on the website we can just switch out the links later.

I know some things that are related to this project as a whole are being looked into and tested and some of what I proposed may be subject to change.  Please feel free to discuss this with me, make your own recommendations, and let me know if you think anything I've proposed could be done in a better way.

--
updated with info about tourney brackets on site -mousey
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:23:28 AM by mousEtopher »

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Community Tournaments Project
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:10:18 PM »
As for "Tournaments" section, i believe tournaments are highly related to server.war2.ru and should be posted in that section

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:22:26 PM »
bozeman site looks better, challonge brackets are ugly
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
As for "Tournaments" section, i believe tournaments are highly related to server.war2.ru and should be posted in that section

I recommended this because I think it's more organized and promotes participation to have an official board/section for this.  The server.war2.ru board is a good board to post the tournaments though.  I'm a little more concerned about the links but if they are linked from the website, then it's probably unnecessary to have them on the forum.

bozeman site looks better, challonge brackets are ugly

Never thought I'd hear that.  It's worth noting how you feel about it and if others feel the same I think we should have a vote on it.  Thank you for the feedback.

Online O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
Bozeman site has been bugged for awhile now when I have tried using it.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »
Are we in contact with the person/people who host it? I asked iL awhile ago if it would be possible to get ahold of the source and move it over to our domain, e.g. tournies.war2.ru or something, but never reached a definitive conclusion.
squeak!

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Are we in contact with the person/people who host it? I asked iL awhile ago if it would be possible to get ahold of the source and move it over to our domain, e.g. tournies.war2.ru or something, but never reached a definitive conclusion.

there are a million wordpress plugins like I said before that do the same thing or better.

also here is his email from the site, city-software@gmx.de so feel free to contact him and ask for source code
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 12:34:55 AM »
I have just added the 60men 1v1 Tournament for April 10th as an all day event on the calendar.  I will PM USA~Archer to see if he's decided on a time for the tournament.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »

there are a million wordpress plugins like I said before that do the same thing or better.

also here is his email from the site, city-software@gmx.de so feel free to contact him and ask for source code

Ah, I actually got a hold of him! Waiting to hear back from Burnt about what the bugs with the system are so we can get them fixed. Good work Ganz.

squeak!

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:18:47 AM »
Cool, glad to help.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »
I have just added the 60men 1v1 Tournament for April 10th as an all day event on the calendar.  I will PM USA~Archer to see if he's decided on a time for the tournament.
Can I request you take it off?  That hacking tournament should not be recognized.  (there's a map hack download right on the sign up page)

Offline Teron-Gorefiend

• Grunt
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
Just ban the fucker for 1 week. Advertising hacks should be banned.
This is the reason I ended it all.

The newb, the mad and the retired.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 10:51:13 AM »
Quote from: that usa~archer guy
At this point, I'm just exercising my right to do whatever the fuck I want, while obeying server rules.

1. WarCrap has legitimate uses in offline, LAN, and other play
2. I am not encouraging anyone to hack and its clearly stated
3. Hackers are going to hack, and theyre going to get banned if they do so who cares, its such a small community, no one wants to get banned and besides why would you hack these days? No ones worried about their stats how stupid they are if they care about winning still

If iL says "remove WarCrap or we ban you from RU server and forums" then I will remove immediately. But so far its just "we dont like it"

you can't ask admins to ban him, instead you should force il/blid/other_server_admin to directly tell him to take it down. For now it's "we dont like it" and the consequence is that USAarcher's tournament/site is not supported by admins. Apparently both sides are happy with this pointless status quo

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »
hmm, claw, would you be comfortable with us telling people they can't post hacks on their own sites, or link to hacks in their game profiles etc?  i recall people in the past like poonat getting pissy about that.  what's that dude's name again?  eradicate's brother

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
I am not criticizing nor offering my solution here, just presenting the situation to teron

moderated account profiles? I could understand that, it would fit the current state of moderation of the server (certain names are restricted, certain clan tags, certain words on the main chat or even whisper (no insulting unless its friendly shittalk policy), so why not the profile?). As for his private website, he's shooting himself in the foot day by day by not taking the hack link off, there's really not much to do about it outside of what's already been done - no support for the masochist, martyr dude. Which results in the lack of an advertising account (if that's a thing already lol), not having the channel topic set and other whatevers. Doesn't change the fact that its pointless

ban is too extreme imo, he's not actively advertising hacks, it's a passive link with an element of history attached to it