Author Topic: New Thoughts From an Old Player  (Read 5955 times)

Offline stevebrock

• Peon
    • View Profile
New Thoughts From an Old Player
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
A long time ago when war2 came out on pc, my cousin tried to get me to play it but I never really got interested. I decided to get into playing some games online and thought this might be a good place to start.

Why don't people use default map settings more often? I think this makes the games interesting as there could be some different but balanced gameplay. User made scenarios, interesting upgrade changes, etc. This would prevent building along the same line for the beginning of the game.

Speaking of building along the same line and default settings, if they default settings come with towers near the bases that would prevent rush type attacks.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
Re: New Thoughts From an Old Player
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:23:23 PM »
If you host on map default, people will join you.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »
Welcome back to the game! We are continuing to grow at this point and I want to encourage you to host whatever you like to play to get other guys coming back and just starting off the opportunity to try them out as well. Do you have the map editor yet?

Offline stevebrock

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
No I dont, and I'm actually thinking of leaving after seeing the videos from the "chop chop" newbie starter pack. I thought war2 would be simpler than newer RTS but this is all getting too complex for me.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 04:29:48 PM »
No I dont, and I'm actually thinking of leaving after seeing the videos from the "chop chop" newbie starter pack. I thought war2 would be simpler than newer RTS but this is all getting too complex for me.

lots of people don't play chop chop, there are many other maps to play that don't require as much mechanics.
Kali IGL Stats

Offline stevebrock

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 04:31:06 PM »
ok well where do i get the map editor so i can play some deflaut settings on maps other than GOW? or at least get some recommendations?

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
what you want editor for?

download newest version of war2combat, it comes with tons of maps.. all the originals plus a bit more.

browse thru the folders, you can choose "use map settings" setting and see some of the specialized maps.

p.s. if u still want it, its on the download section  http://en.war2.ru/downloads/

Offline stevebrock

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 04:36:24 PM »
so i can see the map before i play it

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »
i see well, the best one is the one weighing 3.6megs

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »
Map editor available here: http://en.war2.ru/downloads/ It's a stripped down version of the one from WC2 BNE I think? I've got some of the third party editors on my hard drive, like puddraft and war2xd or whatever, can send if the War2combat doesn't do what you need. Probably will though.

Why don't people use default map settings more often? I think this makes the games interesting as there could be some different but balanced gameplay. User made scenarios, interesting upgrade changes, etc. This would prevent building along the same line for the beginning of the game.

It makes sense, I can see the gameplay being just as engaging whether you start with one peon or a premade-village. Maybe it's because starting with certain units is often done in customs like Pball & RPGs and such so there's a stigma against it.

And yeah, stay away from chop for now. :D You have to know exactly which trees to chop in what direction and in what order for the first 5 minutes of the game or you're screwed.
squeak!

Offline stevebrock

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 05:09:47 PM »
how can it be just as engaging? you're gonna build a town hall and a farm at some point, so why start with one peon? doesnt make sense.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 05:11:55 PM »
how can it be just as engaging? you're gonna build a town hall and a farm at some point, so why start with one peon? doesnt make sense.

Because peoples move on some starting spot to another one on pro map.

So if the hall is already made he cant move anymore.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline stevebrock

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN BY USER MADE SCENARIOS! Are there any maps that give you a choice of which gold mine to use to decrease the chances of them finding your base. Maybe start with two peons right next to each other and then you have to walk really far away until you find a mine

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN BY USER MADE SCENARIOS! Are there any maps that give you a choice of which gold mine to use to decrease the chances of them finding your base. Maybe start with two peons right next to each other and then you have to walk really far away until you find a mine

Actualy pros player will always find your base even if you try to move on another gold mine/spot.... But there some position on some map where it's harder to defend against alot of kind of different attack... Or there some position where it's harder to keep a good attack and a good macro * maccro is the way your managing your ressource ** so some people move to another gold mine/spot to have a better advantage.

Yes
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline stevebrock

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »
I know eventually it will be found but I'm saying at least dont have a set starting position.