Author Topic: Brainstorming new support section for website  (Read 3989 times)

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Brainstorming new support section for website
« on: April 10, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
I'm going to be optimizing the support section of the website, and I'm trying to break it down by the top issues that users encounter over and over again.

- Installation? Maybe a walkthrough of all the installation options? There's like eight pages of settings you have to click through.

- Connecting to the server. A couple issues I can think of are 1) you try to connect and it instantly kicks you back out, 2) the udp packet error where you can connect but not play. 3) Missing server gateways

- Color/display issues. Info about why colors are screwed up, how to fix? (Killing explorer.exe is really the only way?) Link to Naproxen color fix file. Maybe info about why the screen is messed up in Win8?

- Hosting. Standard port fowarding guide, including the changing default game data port guide. This is still relevant, right? What percentage of users does combat v4 fix hosting for btw?

- Taking screenshots? Should this be part of the support section? e.g. info about disabling UAC or installing in c:\ instead of program files, where to upload, etc.

- Freezing? This seems like a semi-common problem, but there isn't currently a solution. Should it be included?

- In-game lag? Should there be a general explanation of why certain games lag? Explanation of conflict? Description of the "hosting trick" (I forget exactly what that was useful for)?

What else?
squeak!

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming new support section for website
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »
- Installation? Maybe a walkthrough of all the installation options? There's like eight pages of settings you have to click through.

I really wonder why they don't even read when clicking "Next" and they ask where's the campaign. I'll set the campaign checkbox by default in next version.
Are there any other problems with installation?

- Connecting to the server. A couple issues I can think of are 1) you try to connect and it instantly kicks you back out, 2) the udp packet error where you can connect but not play. 3) Missing server gateways

Definitely useful.

- Color/display issues. Info about why colors are screwed up, how to fix? (Killing explorer.exe is really the only way?) Link to Naproxen color fix file.

Can anyone confirm that killing explorer is definitely a solution?
Naproxen color fix is included to combat by default for win7, so no reason to care about it. Of course if you use combat.
WinXP causes colors issues sometimes, color fix doesn't help.
Win8 have no any color issues as i know.

Maybe info about why the screen is messed up in Win8?

Applies to any win8 comupter, have no solution now. Not a big problem, you still can click that buttons as usual.

- Hosting. Standard port fowarding guide, including the changing default game data port guide. This is still relevant, right? What percentage of users does combat v4 fix hosting for btw?

I think it's relevant only if uPNP doesn't work. Usually you should not use it anymore.
Same for several computers: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,151.0.html
You should not use it anymore. You just install combat with random ports to all your computers and enjoy.

- Taking screenshots? Should this be part of the support section? e.g. info about disabling UAC or installing in c:\ instead of program files, where to upload, etc.

Probably yes.
Also, you should not need anything about UAC or program files or w/e until you don't use non-default configuration or non-combat builds.

- Freezing? This seems like a semi-common problem, but there isn't currently a solution. Should it be included?

That looks like a problem, we currently know nothing about that.
We have no solution now.
Appreciate any feedback about that problem.

- In-game lag? Should there be a general explanation of why certain games lag? Explanation of conflict? Description of the "hosting trick" (I forget exactly what that was useful for)?

I think yes, should explain that the problem is NOT related to port forwarding. It's absolutely different problem and there's no known solutions except to stop other network activity (torrents?), try to reconnect or to change provider.

What else?

Your idea about support structure is great! That is what we really need i think.
I don't remember any other ideas now, i hope we can add them later after some more questions form people...
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
How to spectate?

Join a game you want to watch pick humans and say you want to watch

When game starts move peon to a corner, ally everyone and click allied victory (don't give vision) and dont build

Kali IGL Stats

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
Can anyone confirm that killing explorer is definitely a solution?Naproxen color fix is included to combat by default for win7, so no reason to care about it. Of course if you use combat.WinXP causes colors issues sometimes, color fix doesn't help.Win8 have no any color issues as i know.

It definitely is for me, in Win7. (Have no experience with wc2 in any other OS.) That's all Naproxen's fix did, it was an exe you copied into the war2combat folder and ran instead of the default shortcut -- you're sure that's bundled?

I think it's relevant only if uPNP doesn't work. Usually you should not use it anymore.Same for several computers: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,151.0.html You should not use it anymore. You just install combat with random ports to all your computers and enjoy.

Okay, good to know. So it sounds like the uPNP fixes the problem in the majority of cases.

How to spectate?

Join a game you want to watch pick humans and say you want to watch

When game starts move peon to a corner, ally everyone and click allied victory (don't give vision) and dont build

That's a good suggestion, I think it'll go in the "Tutorials" suggestion which explains how to do extra things related to the game: recording matches, streaming, hosting, uploading screenshots, uploading replays to youtube, etc.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone has any further suggestions/input I'd appreciate it since a lot of people here have been fielding these same questions for years (especially on the old forum) & have a lot of insight.
squeak!

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
the part where you write about finding screenshots I suppose you would put a line telling people that if they downloaded latest version of war2combat (4.1 and above) and didn't change the default install destination folder, they shouldnt be changing anything and their screenshots are found in "C:\War2Combat"

or better yet, how about remove older versions of war2combat from the main download section, and put them in an "old archive" section
.. still downloadable but kind of encouraging ppl to get newer version

would be best if the installation wizard warned ppl with message if they manually tried to install it in a different path other than C:\
I guess i could do that, if someone pointed at me how to do it,

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:20:58 AM by SmurfKinG »

Offline USA~Archer

• Grunt
  • Don't shoot the sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:44:27 PM »
Re screenshots, i notice alot of people including myself have color issues when screenshotting victory screen

I recently discovered that when u have DropBox downloaded to your PC, it creates its own screenshots folder which makes it easy to find the screenshots and also no color issues, and png format

Might be a suggestion for newbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
that dropbox thing sounds useful

u could have that running in background and with a link of it in your profile and never be bothered of uploading ss requests ever again lol

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:08:07 PM »
that dropbox thing sounds useful

u could have that running in background and with a link of it in your profile and never be bothered of uploading ss requests ever again lol
Actually a good idea.... wait did i just give smurf a compliment [emoji32] [emoji615] [emoji33]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)

Offline Teron-Gorefiend

• Grunt
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
And the time you're doing some personal stuff and hit the print screen button for all to see... No.  Thanks but no.
This is the reason I ended it all.

The newb, the mad and the retired.