Author Topic: Best way to 1v1 chop?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Best way to 1v1 chop?
« on: April 14, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »
Chop is not a 1v1 map but since there are tournaments...

Regular map:

1. Regular map + random location
This is an okay setting, but games may take too long, there's large amount of space and 2h is the optimal strategy in most cases

2. Regular map + fixed order
This is the worst setting of them all. Games take very long, are boring and predictable. Late game promotes gow players over chop players, chopping matters less than macro/micro.

1v1 map:

3. 1v1 map WITHOUT hops
This is the opposite of #2, games promote choppers over gowers. No hops and neighbourhood make it a technical chop game. Lots of chop aspects such as late game and hops don't exist here.

3v3 map:

4. 3v3 map (random location)
This is #2 but with the late game aspect reduced. The map is shrinked hence it's more dynamic than #1, #2, more chopper aspects but still has hops and existant late game. Good compromise!

1v1 map with hops:

5. 1v1 map (with hops)
This is a dedicated tournament map. Watcher spots, fixed order. Players can be aggressive or defensive. Games will take an average time to finish. Downside: they are also more predictable

Personally I prefer #4 and #5 for tournament games.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:20:01 AM by CLAW »

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to 1v1 chop?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »
I think the no hop would be easiest for classic map players.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »
I think the opposite! It's very technical and every chop matters basically, chop players are experienced with various strategies while gowers will have to think of stuff on the fly.

In 8-player fixed order, the distance between players is large enough to compensate lack of chopping skills with decent unit production and control. Then it's all 'who can manage their bases and units' best which classic map players excel at (the good ones, that is)

Offline 8)MikulZ(8

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 04:57:04 PM »
4. 3v3 map sounds interesting, it preserves all the elements of chop without sacrificing hops or random locations. The changed layout needs testing tho as the starting areas are different.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:01:51 PM »
4. 3v3 map sounds interesting, it preserves all the elements of chop without sacrificing hops or random locations. The changed layout needs testing tho as the starting areas are different.

Yeah I made that map today along with 1v1 (with hops).

There's one minor and one MAJOR change.
Minor: middle goldmine is relatively closer (3 lines), so it may lead to interesting fast mid-gold strategies
Major: IMPOSSIBLE to use 1 chop to hop to BOTH spots from the corner spot. So the hop such as this one is no longer possible. It had to be done or else the map would have a ridiculous shape and side spots would be way too close to everything (and each other)

Offline 8)MikulZ(8

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
Alright, then the 3v3 map might change the gameplay too much imho. Then I say I like 1. regular map the most. Should just make it watchers friendly somehow.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »
Damn, the 3v3 map indeed changes the gameplay. Mid strategies (and generally rush strategies) are MUCH more powerful. 2h is risky and perhaps not worth it at all. Haven't tested option no. 5 yet