Poll

Should a polling board be added to the forum?

Yes
3 (30%)
No
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 24, 2015, 01:38:24 PM

Author Topic: Polling Board Poll  (Read 8453 times)

Offline GreenPlastic

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Polling Board Poll
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
The polls on this forum don't really represent how the players on ru actually feel.  Most of the players don't even come to the forums.  These polls are always heavily weighted towards ppl who aren't even active.  It would be a bad idea to make community decisions without the actual community voting. 

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »
The polls on this forum don't really represent how the players on ru actually feel.  Most of the players don't even come to the forums.  These polls are always heavily weighted towards ppl who aren't even active.  It would be a bad idea to make community decisions without the actual community voting. 

The alternative would be to limit the decisions to a few admins.  I don't think that represents how the players on ru actually feel either.  I think we should be focusing on the fact that all players on the server have been given the opportunity to vote and it's up to them whether or not they vote.  I think it should be promoted in some way as I don't think many are aware of it.  Some just don't care and just want to play the game which I have no problem with.  Anyone willing to register and vote on this forum should be allowed to vote.  It's not like they are random people who have no association with this server. 

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »
The polls on this forum don't really represent how the players on ru actually feel.  Most of the players don't even come to the forums.
well that's one shitty argument right there. If they don't care enough to stop being indifferent (and vote on the public forum) then perhaps it's not really THAT far away from their personal opinions.
You can't just say "they don't agree but are too lazy to express that", because they don't actually have down syndrome

Offline GreenPlastic

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 07:50:09 PM »
well that's one shitty argument right there. If they don't care enough to stop being indifferent (and vote on the public forum) then perhaps it's not really THAT far away from their personal opinions.
You can't just say "they don't agree but are too lazy to express that", because they don't actually have down syndrome

You make some pretty big illogical leaps.  You assume that the only reason that people don't come here is indifference.  You say that because they don't come here it isn't "THAT" far away from their personal opinion.  You then jump ship and call it laziness on their part and follow it up with an insult to people who don't come here by saying they don't actually have down syndrome. 

People choose not to come here for any number of reasons.  A big one would be how most of the interaction on this forum is just insults being traded back and forth.  Most people get enough of that in game and at least they can play a game at the same time.  Not many people come here regularly because most posts are filled with trolling and can easily be skipped.  Also, because there are so few users, a person can go a month without coming here and not really miss anything.  I'm sure that some people still don't know they can make a forum account or that there is a new forum.  I'd be willing to bet that a lot of players don't even realize that there have been votes on the forum already.  There are probably so many more reasons people do not come here.

Indifference is not an indicator that someone's view is aligned with whatever topic you are voting for.  Ignoring all the reasons I stated prior, you still can't logically make the leap that not voting/not posting is the same as agreeing. 

The last thing is that you say I can't claim they don't agree with whatever the votes are just because they are too lazy to vote.  The first bad leap you make is to twist what I say into being that people disagree with whatever is going on.  I never said anything about people disagreeing.  I simply stated that these polls do not represent how most players feel.  If these players do not vote, then you cannot make any assumptions on what they agree or disagree with.  What you can definitely take out of it is that when most players are not polled then the general consensus of the players has not been achieved.  If you want to know how 100 people feel and ask only 10, there is no way to say that you have an accurate assessment of how everyone feels.

The goal isn't to discredit the polls or their intentions, it is to point out that a better effort needs to be made when a vote is being made.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 12:55:31 AM »
follow it up with an insult to people who don't come here by saying they don't actually have down syndrome. 
Oh, so a statement that they DONT have down syndrome is an insult? Alright, your words bruh...

A big one would be how most of the interaction on this forum is just insults being traded back and forth.
invalid, they could just vote in a poll, even without comment if they're THAT sensitive. I mean, of course players like van treat them way better @ the server.

I'm sure that some people still don't know they can make a forum account or that there is a new forum.  I'd be willing to bet that a lot of players don't even realize that there have been votes on the forum already.
Yeeeah... I mean the huge yellow letter spam each time you log in should KINDA give a hint to them. I mean, a thread with the cute title of "Polling Board Poll" each time I log in would give me a hint that there is a poll of some kind. How can you possibly disagree with that!

If you want to know how 100 people feel and ask only 10, there is no way to say that you have an accurate assessment of how everyone feels.
Again, unlike axo's forum, this one is open to registration at any time. Users are notified of the new threads each time they log into the server. If the percentile of voters is 10% or less, it's their fault EXLUSIVELY. Anyone protecting them or saying the active users shouldn't have voting power because of 100 indifferent, stoner sheeps, is a fool!

Also, because there are so few users, a person can go a month without coming here and not really miss anything
Well? The last poll lasted even above 1 month I think. Are you trying to say it would be more optimal to keep list of all players that ever played w2 and wait for all of them to return after X months so they could cast a vote? It's obvious that if somebody is inactive for over a month, their opinion doesn't matter nearly as much as an everyday player's

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
I agree about some kind of structure, maybe we can try to make some kind of "last polls" block somewhere?
I also not sure if we should include all the polls there or to exclude some jokey or useless polls...

Anyway, we care of such polls and let anyone to make their polls and attract people anywhere they want.

Making a "last polls" block somewhere would be nice if it's possible.  How do you feel about guidelines for community polling?  We could create a guideline to include at the top of the page or title that says ***Community Poll*** in order to distinguish polls that reflect community decisions and general polls that have nothing to do with community decisions.  I also think we should have a minimum and maximum amount of time that these polls can be open.  I would like to open up discussions about guidelines in order to give some structure to the way community voting is handled.  Perhaps we could then have a poll on which guidelines should be added and which shouldn't?

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 04:37:17 AM »
Making a "last polls" block somewhere would be nice if it's possible.
Not sure if it's easy or not. But i hope it should be possible...

How do you feel about guidelines for community polling?
No idea what to write in that guidelines.
Just click "New poll" and fill the required fields you want to feel.
All the options are free to use and they are self-documented. I don't see a reason to limit anything.

My general thoughts about guidelines that we should try to make our stuff self-documented, because people don't like and shouldn't read any guidelines.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »
Embedding the most recent poll onto the site is actually pretty simple, the problem is that it would pull the most recent poll indiscriminately, regardless of its topic/relevance.
squeak!