Poll

Should a polling board be added to the forum?

Yes
3 (30%)
No
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 24, 2015, 01:38:24 PM

Author Topic: Polling Board Poll  (Read 8385 times)

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
Polling Board Poll
« on: April 24, 2015, 01:38:24 PM »
I'd personally like to see a Polling Board added to the forum.  I think that it would give more organization to community voting.  I also think that we would see an increase in participation on the forum from other players on the server considering that it promotes community involvement. 

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Polling Board Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »
that depends. Can anyone start a poll about anything? Or should we ask iL (or other admin) first whether the matter is good for public voting? As far as i know, iL basically approved all polls that happened in the past.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »
I don't think we should necessarily have to go to admins for this.  You bring up a good point.  Why not have guidelines and rules for community votes?  We could have guidelines for the amount of days a poll can be open, amount of time until the same topic can be brought up again, and format to follow when hosting a poll.  I also trust that the majority here is sensible enough to vote down ridiculous polls. 

Offline USA~Archer

• Grunt
  • Don't shoot the sheep!
    • View Profile
Polling Board Poll
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 03:14:57 PM »
There needs to be rules. If the community all decides that we should ban a player because hes promoting pball instead of GoW, the community should not be able to ban that player just because majority of votes

I support this idea tho, just dont trust this community with too much power lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:17:25 PM by USA~Archer »

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »
There needs to be rules. If the community all decides that we should ban a player because hes promoting pball instead of GoW, the community should not be able to ban that player just because majority of votes

I support this idea tho, just dont trust this community with too much power lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A poll like that would end in a landslide to not ban the player.  Every vote that we've had so far has ended reasonably in my opinion.  Inadequacies in it's system will eventually become more apparent over time and can be brought up in community votes in order to build a set of guidelines and rules.  I think that considering a multitude of opinions can sway votes toward a logical and reasonable solution. 

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
What if we vote to no longer have democracy?
What if we vote to take down a certain admin/make somebody else an admin?
What if we allow hacking?
What if we ban gow on mondays?
What if some1 starts a bunch of worthless, retarded polls nobody would even bother reading/voting? (don't forget we have the mad, the bad n the retired here)

If we need rules for this, then I'd like to see them first...
If we need an admin for approving the polls and limiting their number (focusing on important and fixable matters), then I believe a sticky thread here n there on the main war2.ru board is enough...

I will most likely be opposed to this idea - people are retarded, democracy is retarded, majority is retarded. Especially on w2, where the majority of the players are ULTRA ignorant and won't even bother with account creation on the forum

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »
What if we vote to no longer have democracy?
What if we vote to take down a certain admin/make somebody else an admin?
What if we allow hacking?
What if we ban gow on mondays?
What if some1 starts a bunch of worthless, retarded polls nobody would even bother reading/voting? (don't forget we have the mad, the bad n the retired here)

A lot of those polls would probably never see the light of day and if they did, I'm almost positive they would be voted down.  Polls to remove admins or add admins should be welcome.  I think that the actions the admins take show their worth to the community.  Remember, we have already had polls to remove an admin and elect an admin.  The turnout of those polls seemed very reasonable when you reflect on who helps the server enough to deserve an admin position. 

If we need rules for this, then I'd like to see them first...
If we need an admin for approving the polls and limiting their number (focusing on important and fixable matters), then I believe a sticky thread here n there on the main war2.ru board is enough...

If this vote passes, I will personally present a set of guidelines and I am willing to discuss them here with anyone who has an opinion or something to add. 

I will most likely be opposed to this idea - people are retarded, democracy is retarded, majority is retarded. Especially on w2, where the majority of the players are ULTRA ignorant and won't even bother with account creation on the forum

If you have any specific examples of injustice on this server due to democracy, please let them be known.  I'm seeing a lot of "what if's" here rather than hard evidence that this would not work to the benefit of the server.  People are ignorant when guidance is lacking or poor.  There is a lot of good guidance here on the server and I believe it will prevail over poor judgement. 

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 02:06:52 AM »
A lot of those polls would probably never see the light of day and if they did, I'm almost positive they would be voted down.

Oh, so you're for the "admin/mod poll pre-approval". If this is the case, I'd rather see the thread being stickied at the main board until it finishes - just like it was with the 'to close or not to close the other clients'. That way it's still easy to find and everyone on war2 was aware of it, because it was being displayed on the welcome screen.
Do you really expect so many polls to be started to need a separate board for them? Because personally I think it's optimistic to assume that we'll have a poll every two weeks, and a sticky thread would work juuuuust fine in that case.

If you have any specific examples of injustice on this server due to democracy, please let them be known.

The community voted for a specific set of forum rules and then get all butthurt when they are being executed.
Most of the forum users wanted the karma thingy and in the end it turned out to be a circlejerking / hate machine for haters and people with issues. The votes were worth nothing and had nothing to do with the content of posts...
And do you see this poll? http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,699.0.html The mad trio and a troll made the score 7-5 (so NEARLY a draw) even though mouse is doing a pretty well job here. What does it tell us? A bunch of biased people plus a bit of trolls can fuck up the server pretty badly. I can think of a 10-vote-power polish troll squad if we need one! The number of active, normal and reasonable players is not sufficient, people don't give a fuck and that's why we get 12 votes total.
Moreover I do not wish the retired or inactive players to be my lawmakers. Only active players should be entitled to a vote regarding the server. Just as only the forum users were entitled to a vote regarding the forum...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:08:25 AM by CLAW »

Offline Teron-Gorefiend

• Grunt
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »
Too many fucking rules just for a game of war2. Just log on, play, sign out. Gg.
This is the reason I ended it all.

The newb, the mad and the retired.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:06:34 PM »
This is a bit silly.  How many polls are we going to have?

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
Quote from: Rit on April 24, 2015, 04:49:09 PM
A lot of those polls would probably never see the light of day and if they did, I'm almost positive they would be voted down.

Oh, so you're for the "admin/mod poll pre-approval". If this is the case, I'd rather see the thread being stickied at the main board until it finishes - just like it was with the 'to close or not to close the other clients'. That way it's still easy to find and everyone on war2 was aware of it, because it was being displayed on the welcome screen.
Do you really expect so many polls to be started to need a separate board for them? Because personally I think it's optimistic to assume that we'll have a poll every two weeks, and a sticky thread would work juuuuust fine in that case.

I didn't mean I was for admin pre-approval.  What I meant was that I doubt those polls would even happen.  Having a sticky thread works fine but I think that it has the potential to be looked over.  Polls are coming up here and there but I see a lot of posts that could potentially be polls as well.  The goal of a Polling Board would be to promote community decisions and player participation on the forum.  I think that more polls would come about if we promoted them.

The community voted for a specific set of forum rules and then get all butthurt when they are being executed.
Most of the forum users wanted the karma thingy and in the end it turned out to be a circlejerking / hate machine for haters and people with issues. The votes were worth nothing and had nothing to do with the content of posts...
And do you see this poll? http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,699.0.html The mad trio and a troll made the score 7-5 (so NEARLY a draw) even though mouse is doing a pretty well job here. What does it tell us? A bunch of biased people plus a bit of trolls can fuck up the server pretty badly. I can think of a 10-vote-power polish troll squad if we need one! The number of active, normal and reasonable players is not sufficient, people don't give a fuck and that's why we get 12 votes total.
Moreover I do not wish the retired or inactive players to be my lawmakers. Only active players should be entitled to a vote regarding the server. Just as only the forum users were entitled to a vote regarding the forum...

The system is not perfect nor will it ever be.  I too would have voted for karma if I had been on the forum at the time.  I think it's a shame that we no longer have it and I would have rather seen a vote than an admin decision to remove it.  There will always be ups and downs but we can't understand how to fix it unless we see the problems arise first-hand.  It's always a process for finding out what works best. 

The vote to remove mousEtopher ended at 7-5.  However, it was really 7-4 considering one of the votes was made by someone who had already voted.  Either way, a good decision was made in the end and mousEtopher is still admin.  One of the things that has actually driven me to contribute to this forum was that poll itself as I thought it was ungrateful to try to remove someone who has dedicated their time to the server in a very positive way.  I think having a polling board would do just the same for players who occasionally browse the forum.  If they see a poll for something that they strongly want or do not want, they will feel compelled to vote.

As for guidelines though, I think we can solve a lot of your concerns.  For instance, we could have a rule that a vote cannot pass unless x amount of people vote.  With a little structure, this could work.  As for the current set of rules we have, I've already mentioned I'd like to do away with them and instead use a tribunal system in place of it. 

Too many fucking rules just for a game of war2. Just log on, play, sign out. Gg.

o_o

This is a bit silly.  How many polls are we going to have?

Enough to make progress and solve problems. ;)

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:38:45 PM »
That way it's still easy to find and everyone on war2 was aware of it, because it was being displayed on the welcome screen.

Are the server.war2.ru board topics the only topics that appear on the welcome screen?

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 04:21:42 PM »
I don't think we should merge the polls into one board.
When your poll is about the game, you post in server.war2.ru section,
When your poll is about the forum, your post in forum affairs section, etc.

I think we should let each poll to be located in any of existing boards it's related to...
Are the server.war2.ru board topics the only topics that appear on the welcome screen?
Yes
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
I don't think we should merge the polls into one board.
When your poll is about the game, you post in server.war2.ru section,
When your poll is about the forum, your post in forum affairs section, etc.

I think we should let each poll to be located in any of existing boards it's related to...
Quote from: Rit on April 25, 2015, 03:38:45 PM
Yes

I wasn't aware so many would be against this idea.  Then again, I'm probably overdoing it.  Having the polls appear on the welcome screen are a pretty big deal.  I'm going to close this poll after considering the feedback here.  I still think we could still use a little structure with polling guidelines since we've embraced the idea of community voting though. 

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
I still think we could still use a little structure with polling guidelines since we've embraced the idea of community voting though. 
I agree about some kind of structure, maybe we can try to make some kind of "last polls" block somewhere?
I also not sure if we should include all the polls there or to exclude some jokey or useless polls...

Anyway, we care of such polls and let anyone to make their polls and attract people anywhere they want.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.