Author Topic: new players?  (Read 20691 times)

Offline Swift

• Sappers
    • View Profile
Re: new players?
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »
, i mean even jordan has beaten swift before.

This isn't a fair representation. There's a story behind every series/ladder record.

Jordan has beat me a few times, but they weren't serious games. I mostly do gimmick strategies vs him (fast mages, archers + towers only, etc) and he occasionally wins. At one point, Jordan and a few others thought that he could win at least 1 out of 10 in a 'real' series. So we played a series, and he quit after 8-0 or 9-0.  Jordan sucks at war2 but is cool as fuck and is 00's honorary member.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:23:58 PM by Swift »
The official Legend©®™ of Warcraft II.

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »
what about coach teams trny's..if this game can gather enough new. get some new people give them the best and let them lose on each other

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »
swift. 2 things

1) jordan is a fucking idiot.

2) refer back to #1.

Offline BenJamin

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »
What's jordan's 00 name?

Also how many times has TK beaten swift?

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2017, 02:09:19 AM »
*grabs dwarven popcorn*
Developing game play/strategy for humans has pretty much been non-existent. Which is one of the reasons i dont think you can say with certianty humans are inferior.
This is actually a very feasible theory. I bet that if someone actually tried "properly" playing humans, he'd soon find out they can pack a punch. That would be a different kind of punch, of course, but you can't disregard it simply because you're not used to it.

This whole topic makes me think: Imagine if Starcraft players discovered the "zerg rush" technique first and collectively refused to play anything but Zerg since it's so powerful (which it is, no doubt). There would, however, be players who would put effort in exploring the alternatives and using other races' abilities, which are equally powerful but less known to wide public. "Weird" and "self-obstructing" as they are, those people would be fairly competitive against the Zerg, and while they would lose to the Zerg because of the "rush", they would also win because of their own cool abilities and strategies. And something tells me that Zerg victories would be more prominent among the community because they're easier to understand.

Guys, we need statistics. Some actual log-derived statistics. I'll see what I can do today.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:34:42 AM by dwarfighter »

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2017, 05:23:30 AM »
Oh and by the way,

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »
dwarfighter is assimilating well I see!

I agree w/ tk & dwarf's points, this seems like an Ender's Game type situation where humans are written off by everyone who isn't forward-thinking enough to play them creatively. it's objectively true that 9 knights < 9 lusted ogres in open combat but that just means you shouldn't expect to play them the same way you play orc.

for new people, imo it's just being decent in return to people letting you play for you to pick the better race, so if it gets to that stage you can help with lust.  i always let newbs play in my games but sometimes ill ban them if they insist on being humans.  come on, at least meet me halfway.  the point isnt reaching some "peak efficiency," it's being able to cast bloodlust if the time comes so you can help your allies who all want to win.
//d are we talking seriously new players with like < 50 games? Realistically, how often is the deciding factor for the team's victory going to be when that person 1. manages to survive long enough to get bloodlust and 2. actually applies it in some valuable way? is that like 1% of the time? (that seems generous) It's understood in advance that playing with a newb makes the game unbalanced against your team, requiring them to conform to your race preference seems like a meaningless hoop to have them jump through

yeah humans are okay on the less fun settings that people dont play often

! No longer available
squeak!

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »
dwarfighter is assimilating well I see!

I agree w/ tk & dwarf's points, this seems like an Ender's Game type situation where humans are written off by everyone who isn't forward-thinking enough to play them creatively. it's objectively true that 9 knights < 9 lusted ogres in open combat but that just means you shouldn't expect to play them the same way you play orc.
But theyre otherwise the same race!!  i feel like im taking crazy pills with u guys.  A gow game aint gonna be decided by polymorph ever.  invis doesnt make up for lust.  an orc player can harass just as well as a human player.  slow and heal arent worth the effort

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
Hmm everyone just saw archers are bad because they shoot arrows slowly and die quickly so therefore hasnt used archers enough to discover and develop strong archer strategy.  <-- no, archers are just bad.  like humans!!

//d are we talking seriously new players with like < 50 games? Realistically, how often is the deciding factor for the team's victory going to be when that person 1. manages to survive long enough to get bloodlust and 2. actually applies it in some valuable way? is that like 1% of the time? (that seems generous) It's understood in advance that playing with a newb makes the game unbalanced against your team, requiring them to conform to your race preference seems like a meaningless hoop to have them jump through
this is missing my point which is that a new player that wont select the superior race isnt someone who is going to listen to anything i tell them or make any effort to cooperate and learn

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
But you keep missing our points all the same. We kind of touched on the topic of humans having strong sides, and there wasn't really any doubt about that. Yet you proceed to cling to the word "superior". As I said, there's only one thing that can dissolve all this opinion-based crap and reveal the facts: statistics. I'm working on it, and it'd be much faster if war2.ru game reports were in a more comprehensible format. Quite busy right now so I should have some results within a week.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
But you keep missing our points all the same. We kind of touched on the topic of humans having strong sides, and there wasn't really any doubt about that. Yet you proceed to cling to the word "superior".
of course i am, because thats what orcs are.  you people are running yourselves in circles trying to deny 1+1=2 and it's absurd

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
People have been playing this game for 20 years, but I, some guy that started playing 5 days ago, know better

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
Sigh.

I'm simply stating that your opinion is just your own. You know there are people who play humans and do it better than, for example, you. And when I say I'll go get the facts (i.e. statistical data from server logs) to find out what is actually true and what is not, you get all emotional. Well, sorries.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
I'm simply stating that your opinion is just your own.
it's not opinion it's fact bitch

Offline dwarfighter

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
Grow up.