Author Topic: Discussion from: To close war2 clients except combat or not to close  (Read 38925 times)

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion from: To close war2 clients except combat or not to close
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2015, 04:13:44 AM »
PS: Or, i know you can desable peoples of playing, so maybe you can let join others clients/patche, but they are not able to play, they are just able to chat on the channel.

So this people can ask why they cant play and peoples gonna tell them to download the real version.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:25:21 AM by Equinox »
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2015, 04:14:34 AM »
As it suppose to be you have to refuse any others clients to join our server except the original one, war2ru. 4.0.

You also have to use the same patche for everyone, it mean, when you create a new patche, everyone have to download it to be able of playing.

Everyone on same client, everyone on same patche.
I see, similar as on $pace's server: nobody can join and play without his custom war2 being started via his loader.

Yes, similar as every games of the worlds.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2015, 04:28:51 AM »
PS: Or, i know you can desable peoples of playing, so maybe you can let join others clients, but they are not able to play, they are just able to chat on the channel.

So this people can ask why they cant play and peoples gonna tell them to download the real version.

Yes, that is also how i imagine the possible future: to let all the clients join the server to show it's active and do something with wrong clients.
"Wrong" means at least with no antihack applied or probably improper version if that really causes problems with lags and maphacking.
"Do something" means eighter deny playing/chating or just marking them as "wrong" to let others know they are not safe.
Probably mark for test period and deny after making sure that the system works.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2015, 04:29:37 AM »
Or!!!!!!

If i see it by myself, we can let other clients join your server and play, but they absolutly have to install patches 4.0 or every new one your gonna make, if they try to join with another patches of 4.0 they are not gonna be able to play.

If we can test this and it's work it can be possible to do that, so peoples can keep playing with music and orginal language.

But i need to see if anti hack gonna work for both version and if the latency bug gonna be fix.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:38:28 AM by Equinox »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2015, 04:35:53 AM »
looks reasonable, that looks similar to my plans:
something obvious about unsafe clients, like PM to all other players joining the game.
With possibly denying them to play after the system test period.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2015, 04:46:29 AM »
looks reasonable, that looks similar to my plans:
something obvious about unsafe clients, like PM to all other players joining the game.
With possibly denying them to play after the system test period.

Just hope you understand when i said anti hack i talk about the one we already have... the one who keep show gold mine when you try to close map hack.

If you want to add your own anti hack after your free to do it, safety is always welcome, untill we have the gold mine one on every different clients and the war2lat fix everything is cool.

PS: I know, you know, it's a great deal and we dint even need a pool for that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:53:52 AM by Equinox »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2015, 04:57:22 AM »
Just hope you understand when i said anti hack i talk about the one we already have... the one who keep show gold mine when you try to close map hack.
I see, 2.0.2.0 could be considered an antihack: not perfect, but better then nothing until we have something better

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »
Let me separate the discussion about anti hack gold mine to different topic, because it turned to a different subject. I hope nobody protests against that.

Let's follow the subject "to close or not to close" here...

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2015, 06:11:55 AM »
ok

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2015, 06:48:53 AM »
His vote definitely, definitely counts.  If it makes you feel better, we can disqualify his vote, and I can vote to allow all clients in his place.  Even though I largely want the hack version closed, I'll vote to keep it open just to make Teron-Gorefiend's vote count.  It's stupid to disqualify him.  His IP doesn't match with anyone else voting.  He's played 400 games and played for 3 months.  He's part of the community.  He counts.

If you want to complain about a vote, complain about IBecomeShivaDestroyerOfGN.

I dont think we even have to talk about the destroyer guy, the fact is we should know everyone who vote and nobody know him.. This guys teron gorefiend is braggin since 4 month to be a smurf on his profile game.

I dont see why we gonna allow smurf just because hes playing longer then any other smurf.

My own opinion is take your vote because we all know you and its a fair vote even if you dont play.. But let's take in consideration even if you dont play, if your someone of this communauty we can allow you because you can start playing anytime and you are someone.

Great! So that means I get to vote after all. *goes to vote*
squeak!

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »
I've been thinking about it, and I'd like the messed up version closed, but it becomes a timing issue.  We keep this poll open for awhile, and then we need to put up banners in the game telling people they need to use Combat, and we have to leave that up for about a month before we do anything.  By the time it's OK to start client checking and forcing people to use Combat, I think iL might have the anti-hack ready, which is a stronger solution anyway.  However, if iL thinks it will take 6 months or longer to make the anti-hack, then I'd say just go ahead and mandate people use Combat, since that's an easy temporary partial solution. 

What I don't understand about Equinox's position is that he thinks blocking a bad version of the game is a stronger solution to hacking than an actual anti-hack.  Doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
His vote definitely, definitely counts.  If it makes you feel better, we can disqualify his vote, and...
thin ice
yes because you only quoted half the sentence and therefore successfully ignored its meaning.  im saying we can only disqualify his vote if we put  another vote in its place, which would render the disqualification of that vote meaningless, and the thrust of my argument is in fact that the vote should and will stand.

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
I see all this close/open thing as an equinox childish rant that serve very little purpose or none at all.

its dumb.

Yes, this is a solution, a temporary one.
Cuz if iL thinks and can develop a working anti-hack. all this serves no purpose rather than to have an actual way of blocking hacker probably sooner than iL takes to develop that antihack.

I pretty much agree to blid has poted so far , it is only a matter of timing.

if we have waited 10+years for an antihack... can't we fucking wait 6 more months for iL to do it? its just not reasonable... but hey, its coming from equinox.. he wants his 10min of fame and being center of attention once more...
and here we are, debating about it.

but let's say I give in to this, and actually put a vote on this.

I'd vote yes close clients IF and only IF:

-  we have the localized versions of war2combat ready for download. All of them: RUS,ENG,DEU,FR,SPA

- Need a thorough advertising campaign, on game server making sure everyone that now play need to download new client
       a big banner on main page explaining about it too.
       and if iL can make it so that he can allow older versions but deny player to join and create games that would be best.

this would be roughly, 3 months from now.

(maybe even iL got his antihack ready by then, and all this convo  is just wasted time lmao)

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »
Original music subject:

the music available for download is midi, it doesnt compare

the original music doesn't only sound better, but the game changes so when you are about to go into battle, the battle tune kicks in.
its not the same as having that midis just playing in background

but, this is no issue.

All you have to do is, have your War2BNE CD either inserted on  your media drive or mounted as an image on your computer
War2Combat WILL read the music.
at least thats how it was last time i tried this, (last time i tried was with 3.05 version)

so maybe put a text telling people about this instead, maybe in the game installation window notes.

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »
Side thought on people not knowing why the server won't let them join if they have the wrong version of War2 - what if the back-up server allowed people with any version to join and had a giant message saying they need the "official" version to join the main server?