Author Topic: Alt Tab Delay  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
Alt Tab Delay
« on: August 25, 2023, 03:26:42 PM »
Got a newer monitor (have 2 total up, they are 2 dif ones) and, while alt tab always has its delays, due to differences in resolutions, the new monitor (set at the same 1920x1080) has a much longer delay. It's even making me lag. Don't really see any useful drivers for the monitor.

Been messing around with it a bit and I have no idea. Also, the newer monitor can do 2560x1440, which is the recommended. I'm guessing it has something to do with that. Wondering if anyone could help me out.

I GUESS I COULD GO HD?!?!!? :)

Offline Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Alt Tab Delay
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 06:34:08 AM »
try tweaking ini files for ddraw
set "windowed fullscreen" mode and width heigth as your monitor size
this way orig 640x480 can be zoomed to needed resolution without changing system resolution itself

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 01:13:00 PM »
Go HD for sure.  Before HD mode it took me like 2 seconds to get to desktop and back.  After HD it’s instant.

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 07:11:44 PM »
We don't have a perfect solution for it yet, there are 3 different settings you can use

1. Slow alt+tab with regular fullscreen lobby (that's the default, the one you're using right now)

2. Fast alt+tab but delay while moving from bnet lobby to game

3. Fast alt+tab, no delay on bnet lobby but bnet lobby runs in a window

I attached 2. and 3. for you if you want to give them a try

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 02:39:54 AM »
Thanks fellas.

Option 2's tab takes about 3 seconds still.

Option 3 is good except when you start the game, I can only use half of my monitor.

Why did it go from 2 second normal default delay to 4 though? (before I tried any of these changes)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 06:08:25 AM »
Option 3 is good except when you start the game, I can only use half of my monitor.

You're talking about the black bars on the sides? That's easy to change, attached a file below

Why did it go from 2 second normal default delay to 4 though? (before I tried any of these changes)

Not sure why that it is TBH, it's generally slower on newer windows versions than it is on old ones like XP and 7. Maybe some drivers for certain hardware/monitors make it even slower, I have no idea
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 06:10:53 AM by fois »

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 01:16:23 PM »
Cool, that worked for the bars. There is no way to make the windowed chat channel part bigger though?

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 09:25:29 PM »
Lastly, would the refresh rate matter? This new one seems to be default to 59.9 but I can change to 60 or 75 as well.

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 01:29:26 PM »
Cool, that worked for the bars. There is no way to make the windowed chat channel part bigger though?

Nope, not really... Unless you play the entire game in a window then it might be possible to enable the zoom feature in windows

Lastly, would the refresh rate matter? This new one seems to be default to 59.9 but I can change to 60 or 75 as well.

Not sure, just give it a try

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 01:41:31 PM »
Fixed it.

Used Nvidia Control Panel. Went to Adjust Desktop size and position, under Display. Scaling to Full-screen. Perform Scaling on: GPU. Delay is about 1 second max.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 01:45:47 PM by Harrywangs »