Author Topic: Claw's proposed ban from the moderated section of war2 forum  (Read 9150 times)

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Claw's proposed ban from the moderated section of war2 forum
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:24:31 PM »
it's not polish singing you ostrich

Ban claw, he called me an ostrich.

I really, really, really hate being called an ostrich.
so on the one hand calling a person a random noun cannot be said to be necessarily hateful, e.g. what if I called someone a cupcake? it's just silly & nonsensical.

otoh there is a precedent for calling people animals in a derogatory way. e.g. cow, pig, rat, snake, etc. however, these are also established colloquial associations that draw parallels with negative qualities real or imagined of the referenced animal. so how to react in the situation where a random, unassociated animal is mentioned? this would seem to fall back into the silly/nonsensical category. e.g. "whatever you say, you otter"

we can also consider that there's a counterposed standard for non-hateful usage of animal names, e.g. "you silly goose". common sense tells us that this is a playful, nonmalicious comment, though the recipient could technically make an argument like "geese are unintelligent creatures, I feel like the person was implying I'm unintelligent".

please discuss.

squeak!

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
Re: Claw's proposed ban from the moderated section of war2 forum
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:47:45 PM »
This board is starting to feel more random than the flame war board.
war2 > war3

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
It was an obvious insult and it's a more obvious ban than either of the first two so far.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:00:16 PM »
which factors do you consider to make it obvious?
squeak!

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »
It's appended to a statement of disagreement in the same way "you idiot" or etc would be and it's not a nice animal to call someone. Ostriches are known for sticking their heads in the sand and being ignorant.  They're awkward looking birds.  You're having a lot of fun with this but really this is self-explanatory.

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
I mean, it's obvious name-calling.  Far worse than posting the word "wasteland" or saying you don't like the sound of a certain language being sung.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:15:53 PM »
sure, but what about the cupcake example? I could also append "penguin" in the same way, is that an insult? is it somehow inherently insulting to refer to people as objects that they're not? it seems to depend on the preexisting impression of that object. cupcakes == good so it's okay/friendly to call someone that. pile of crap == bad so it's insulting. i don't personally have any negative connotation for ostriches, they're just a big fast bird. head-sand-sticking seems like an arbitrary behavior to be critical of, like how you could be critical of relative geese unintelligence, or penguins being goofy & ungainly, even though those 2 probably have generally positive associations in people in general's minds
squeak!

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
Can you not read tone?  You were able to interpret the contextless word "wasteland" to be calling Poland or Claw's thread or something(?) a wasteland in an abusive or harrassing(?) way, so you should be able to figure this one out too.

Are you trying to bait me into calling you an ostrich so you can have me banned too and defeat me?

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 01:01:38 AM »
Not against the rules. Jon was banned rightfully. Bs was banned rightfully - for her racist comment, not for calling me a low iq person. That enough was banable, therefore making this thread pointless

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:11:30 AM »
Blid, do you somehow think you have a jury to convince hence pretending the rules thread never existed?  Why would that work? Instead of this desperate acts, you shoild wait for.my inevitable racism or hateful comments. Leave ostrich alone

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 04:17:16 AM »
Sorry, but OMG did you guys reall bite on that one?

It's an obvious, calculated troll. Once again claw is making it all about himself, and are all talking about him so he is happy. (troll 101)

So either a) Ignore the bait, wait until he's a complete ass and then ban him - on past form it won't take long,
or           b) Save time and just ban him now.

I think (a), but if you opt for (b) I won't complain. However either way let's stop talking about him.

.... and Claw, spending your time thinking up the exact name to use so it will be offensive to Baby but you will be able to claim it as innocuous just feels a bit weird and stalkery to me. Do you honestly have nothing better to do?
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 04:38:38 AM »
Sorry, but OMG did you guys reall bite on that one?

It's an obvious, calculated troll. Once again claw is making it all about himself, and are all talking about him so he is happy. (troll 101)

So either a) Ignore the bait, wait until he's a complete ass and then ban him - on past form it won't take long,
or           b) Save time and just ban him now.

I think (a), but if you opt for (b) I won't complain. However either way let's stop talking about him.

.... and Claw, spending your time thinking up the exact name to use so it will be offensive to Baby but you will be able to claim it as innocuous just feels a bit weird and stalkery to me. Do you honestly have nothing better to do?

all those theories, two people even managed to be racist towards poland and I'm sure nobody took time to really read my thread (which is the only cultural and serious thread up to this moment). are you sure you're mature enough for this board, warcrafters?

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »
I read the poland thread, it was nice! I'm leaning towards the general consensus that name-calling of any kind violates the spirit of the board -- the whole point is to maintain a respectful & mature attitude regardless of one's personal feelings towards others. there is also no "tit for tat" here either, so breaking a rule in retaliation to another user's rule breaking would not be a valid defense

also after further consideration this probably means "cupcake" is out too :c

Bill Burr - Anger-problem Recognition and Cookie Sales Protocol - YouTube

Are you trying to bait me into calling you an ostrich so you can have me banned too and defeat me?

yeah tbh, I can tell you're gonna be a tricky one
squeak!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »
okay, since no further objections have been raised in the arbitrary amount of time since I last posted, we can consider this ruling finalized!
squeak!