Author Topic: War2.5 Warcraft 3 reforged mod.  (Read 2087 times)

Offline $hazm

• Peon
    • View Profile
War2.5 Warcraft 3 reforged mod.
« on: February 25, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »
So with warcraft 3 reforged out i was thinking of making a new mod for it. I made one back in the day and had a lot of fun doing it. I have experience doing war3 mods, skyrim mods, dragon age mods, and a few others. My skyrim mods were actually pretty popular and got around 50k downloads over the years.

Anyway i thought it might be fun to collaborate with another old war2 player or two on this mod. My goal is to make war3 more war2 like. Not a total conversion, just a GoW style map with very war2 like gameplay on the war3 engine. Not looking to make a perfect port, more like an updated warcraft 2. The kind of sequel i would have liked to see in the first place.

If anyone has any interest in working together with this and has experience modding games gimme a shout. If anyone has some suggestions post them here.

Edit - Been working  on this all night. Starting out with 9-11 wars map and going to go all in to a gow style map. I have gotten to the point where you can wall in, rax and mill someone, and do some tower wars.

If anyone wants to help what i could really use is a spread sheet with all the unit, building, and upgrade costs and times. Another spread sheet will all the base dmg and upgraded dmg on all the units including towers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:04:41 PM by $hazm »

Offline Disgruntled

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: War2.5 Warcraft 3 reforged mod.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »
<3shazam?

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 06:22:13 PM »
1) Take away heros all together (maybe just units can use items?)
2) Speed up game play (unit attacks specifically)
3) Increase amount of units that can mine?
4) Get rid of upkeeps and increase maximum units?
5) Wall in with ALL buildings, not just farms (unless that is what you said you did already, wasn't sure)
6) Change it where all units must die to win, instead of all buildings
7) Allow other races to repair (NE/UD) buildings as they go up (aka for gays)

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 07:29:14 AM »
I do not want to sound negative and all but making Warcraft 2 with Warcraft 3 engine is impossible.

I mean yes you could redo a campaign and revisit the story and do that part better but you wont be able to have the same mechanics war2 has and the same balance/gameplay because the engine is way too different.

One first example of why that is:
In war2 units and buildings are placed on a big Grid they do not have collisions properly speaking they just occupy a tile or they dont.
For choke points to behave the way they do in war2 you would need to modify the way distances, movements, collisions and all that works.
And that would just be to get the tile-based mechanics we all enjoy right...

:critter:

Offline $hazm

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 10:04:23 PM »
Yeah I'm way past that point already. I've got working choke points and square unit selectors and wall ins and neighbour wars and everything else war2 like. Single queue unit training system and an advanced construction menu that are revolutionary and often attempted but never successful until now. At this point I've just got to set up a system for upgrading knight/ogres to Paladins/ogremages and the rest is just 20-30 hours of plugging in unit data into systems already built. I'm about 200 hours into my making of this mod and the end is in sight. So far it's coming along really well. I even have original custom graphics based off war2 models for things like stables and mage towers and churches. Some time next weekend I'll upload a human race beta test and you can see for yourself.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:29:57 PM by $hazm »

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 07:11:45 AM »
Not really though, I looked at your mod.
It is still using war3 engine for movements and collisions.
Movements are not grid based, meaning units do not move from one tile to the next one they do not only exist in one of these positions etc.
I mean, I think it is a great mod but that is missing and what it means regarding hoping mechanics and fast paste early peons and tower wars is a lot to take off war2. (imagine removing chop farms from the game)

Now if somehow you manage to add this behavior (grid movements and collisions for units)  now I guess that would be more like it :thumbsup:

For upgrades to paladins or ogre mages you may try doing that through custom triggers making a research and when done replace all knights owned by that player with paladins and replace raxes with raxes that make paladins etc... I guess that would work.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:40:16 AM by Cel »