Author Topic: [Release] Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch  (Read 113907 times)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2024, 04:44:12 PM »
New Widescreen / High resolution patch released!
https://www.moddb.com/downloads/warcraft-ii-widescreen

Changelog

- Added support for High Resolution background images - Currently included: Splash screen, Main menu and Chat lobbies

- Game folder is now portable - New default settings: Recent Maps=Garden Of War, Speed=Even Faster, Subtitles=On

- Does now ensure that the 3 main gateways are always in the list (In case you somehow broke your list)

- Added iron man ladder patches (Resources, Speed, Threshold) from War2Patcher

- Can now detect wine (Linux/macOS/Android..) and automatically adds the needed dll overrides

- Added credits patch by lesnik - Displays all the credits that are written in the TBL in multiple screens

Special thanks to Kipp and danny for the help with the high resolution backgrounds! And also thanks to Jinn for creating the main menu background image!

Note:
If your lobby_map plugin isn't working anymore then re-download it from the first post (Some old versions don't work anymore)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 11:53:43 AM by fois »

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2024, 06:51:03 AM »
Thanks @fois!

Great work :)

I edited my own chat background, thought the one included was a bit too pixelated and dark. I attach it if anyone playing with 1280x704.

Would be nice if you had a bigger mini map at higher resolutions. I can help with the graphics if it is something you want to develop, fois. It would be a great improvement, because the mini map is a bit too small on high resolutions.
I can also make the lobby graphics for wide screen if you need.

Anyways thanks :)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2024, 12:34:37 AM »
Thanks @fois!

Great work :)

I edited my own chat background, thought the one included was a bit too pixelated and dark. I attach it if anyone playing with 1280x704.

Nice! Here's also the original artwork https://pixeldrain.com/u/UJcGWBzy
Maybe that helps in case you want to play around with it some more

Would be nice if you had a bigger mini map at higher resolutions. I can help with the graphics if it is something you want to develop, fois. It would be a great improvement, because the mini map is a bit too small on high resolutions.
I can also make the lobby graphics for wide screen if you need.

Anyways thanks :)

That's probably going to be a lot of work, I guess we would have to switch the minimap from 128x128 to 256x256 to make that happen... But that would mean the entire sidebar has to be redone (would probably take weeks to complete!)

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2024, 04:23:53 AM »
That's probably going to be a lot of work, I guess we would have to switch the minimap from 128x128 to 256x256 to make that happen... But that would mean the entire sidebar has to be redone (would probably take weeks to complete!)

Ah, I see. I guess it's not the graphics that would take time, but the development? I just made a fast sketch how it would look like. :)
Also added the player names / colors to the bottom left, since I think that would also be a great improvement.

And this is how it looks atm, for reference:

Offline Maxx444

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2024, 09:45:24 AM »
Interesting take @eleison
I like the player name / colors on the bottom left. Don't know how I feel about the larger in game minimap.... cool if it was an option though.
I thought you were suggesting a larger lobbymap :D

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2024, 01:18:14 AM »
Very nice mockup! Not sure yet if like it, it's a bit over the top TBH... I guess it would look better on a higher resolution like 1920x1080 but for 1280x704 it's just too big?

Player names are cool, should be easy to patch in. I'll give it a try soon

Offline eleison

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2024, 03:10:46 AM »
Very nice mockup! Not sure yet if like it, it's a bit over the top TBH... I guess it would look better on a higher resolution like 1920x1080 but for 1280x704 it's just too big?

In my opinion it's not too big. But I guess we all have different preferences. It's important to keep track of the mini map during play. For me I think it is the biggest downside with playing high resolution, that the mini map becomes so small, in percentage to the playing area, compared to low resolution. Would be a more legacy high resolution mode, if proportions stayed the same. But I understand if people don't like it.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2024, 11:24:48 AM »

Yes it wont be good if someone use much smaller resolution
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience